Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Trinity graduated 17 seniors and their entire starting line-up from the CWS championship team.

They were very young  or inexperienced in February of this year.  By the end of the year, they certainly are one of the best in D3. However, D3 post-season can be unforgiving.  Trinity needed to win the SCAC and came within one game but just didn't get there. If the post-season was measured by the last 20 games, they would be on the list, but for 40 games, they fall short.

For anyone who studies playing times and innings pitched, look at their 2017 stats.  They should  be loaded for 2018 with so many hitters and pitchers contributing this year and returning next year..

I know my son's school isn't likely to make a deep run or anything, but given they made the post-season in their conference for the first time in 6 years, I'll give Macalester a shout out.  #4 seed, but they split their season series' with each of the other playoff teams. They've got some solid young pitching and something of a hot and cold offense that if it plays to the hot side for a weekend could steal a tournament win and land what I think would be their first ever regional bid.

jacjacatk posted:

I know my son's school isn't likely to make a deep run or anything, but given they made the post-season in their conference for the first time in 6 years, I'll give Macalester a shout out.  #4 seed, but they split their season series' with each of the other playoff teams. They've got some solid young pitching and something of a hot and cold offense that if it plays to the hot side for a weekend could steal a tournament win and land what I think would be their first ever regional bid.

I was trying to figure out how they clinched, then I noticed that it's a quirk of the schedule that SJU and Concordia end up playing each other this weekend that will result in 3rd and 5th place. That'll be a tense set, especially if a Concordia win in game 1 sets up a win-or-go-home situation for game 2.

Last edited by Matt13
MidAtlanticDad posted:

"SUNYAC makes difficult decision – cancels 2017 Baseball Championship"

Cortland has to get an at-large bid, right?

http://www.sunyacsports.com/sp...eases/20170505f4sc0r

why not just push it back a weekend? they have time, according to D3 baseball there are a handful of conferences that being finished next weekend. Cancelling the play-offs is not good, I can't imagine there wasn't a better way.

http://www.d3baseball.com/play...2017/playoff-central

No one else is posting much, so I'll root for the underdog.

Macalester advanced to MIAC tournament championship for the first time after besting both Bethel and St. Thomas in the winner's bracket.  Those two are currently playing for the opportunity to come out of the loser's bracket and try to win 2 in a row vs Mac tomorrow. 

Knock on wood, but the Scots haven't lost a DH yet this season.

In the NESCAC, Amherst just lost a heartbreaker to Tufts, 5-4, scoring two runs on a HBP, a double, and a walk-off single with a fairly close, but not close enough, play at the plate.   Middlebury beat Bates in the earlier game, 3-2, on a walk-off bases loaded walk.  So Middlebury and Tufts play in the winners bracket tomorrow, while Amherst and Bates play the early loser-out game.

Last edited by smokeminside

I just watched UMass Dartmouth eliminate Southern Maine in the Little East tournament. Southern Maine will be pulling for UMass Boston in the championship. USM doesn't need a lower seed taking up an automatic berth to regionals. USM won the regular season and is 30-11. UMass Boston is 32-10. UMass Dartmouth is 25-19. The UMass Dartmouth pitcher went 8 Wednesday and 7 today on two days rest.

Last edited by RJM
old_school posted:

so here is a question, why do 5 of the regions have an 8 team bracket and 3 of the regions have a 6 team bracket?

Because the guys in charge don't know that 56/8 = 7?

I don't really know the answer, but given the travel restrictions that D3 apparently tries to stick with, I'm guessing it's a regional distance thing?  Does seem like it would make it harder to advance out of an 8. Not sure if that's intended, or just something they've decided to live with or be indifferent to for other reasons.

jacjacatk posted:
old_school posted:

so here is a question, why do 5 of the regions have an 8 team bracket and 3 of the regions have a 6 team bracket?

Because the guys in charge don't know that 56/8 = 7?

I don't really know the answer, but given the travel restrictions that D3 apparently tries to stick with, I'm guessing it's a regional distance thing?  Does seem like it would make it harder to advance out of an 8. Not sure if that's intended, or travel restrictions that D3 apparently tries to stick withor be indifferent to for other reasons.

#1 - guys in charge don't know that 56/8 = 7

#2- travel restrictions that D3 apparently tries to stick with

#3- indifferent to for other reasons.

As a betting man I am going to have to lean towards #2...but that being said the NCAA is involved so I wouldn't be sure logic is much of a factor.

It does seem pretty odd that you wouldn't have regions with the same number of qualifiers.

CAMBOB2020 posted:
Branson Baseball posted:

Congratulations to Coach Parrington at Macalester!  One of the best coaches we met on the recruiting trail.  A very nice guy.  Well deserved success!!!

I grew up playing ball with Matt and his older brother.  Great guy, great family. 

Hmm...you may have played with my former brother-in-law, then...

From the NCAA manual, here is how the six team bracket works ...

The format for the tournament where six teams participate:

Game 1 — Team 1 vs. Team 6

Game 2 — Team 2 vs. Team 5

Game 3 — Team 3 vs. Team 4

Game 4 — Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2

Game 5 — Winner Game 1 vs. Loser Game 3

Game 6 — Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3

If four teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 7 — Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6

Game 8 — Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 6

Game 9 — Loser Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8

Game 10 — Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 9

Game 11 — If necessary, same teams as in Game 10

If five teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 7 — Loser Game 5 vs. Loser Game 6

Game 8 — Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5

Game 9 — Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7

If two teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 10 — Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9

If three teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 10 — Winner Game 8 vs. Loser Game 9

Game 11 — Winner Game 9 vs. Winner Game 10

rob88dunham posted:

From the NCAA manual, here is how the six team bracket works ...

The format for the tournament where six teams participate:

Game 1 — Team 1 vs. Team 6

Game 2 — Team 2 vs. Team 5

Game 3 — Team 3 vs. Team 4

Game 4 — Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2

Game 5 — Winner Game 1 vs. Loser Game 3

Game 6 — Winner Game 2 vs. Winner Game 3

If four teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 7 — Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6

Game 8 — Winner Game 4 vs. Loser Game 6

Game 9 — Loser Game 7 vs. Winner Game 8

Game 10 — Winner Game 7 vs. Winner Game 9

If five teams remain after Game 6, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 7 — Loser Game 5 vs. Loser Game 6

Game 8 — Winner Game 4 vs. Winner Game 5

Game 9 — Winner Game 6 vs. Winner Game 7

If two teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 10 — Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9

If three teams remain after Game 9, the following procedure will be observed:

Game 10 — Winner Game 8 vs. Loser Game 9

Game 11 — Winner Game 9 vs. Winner Game 10

The NCAA is one of very few organizations who thinks the above is good idea...I follow the logic of the seedings and how they are attempting to reward the 1seed in round 2 assuming as goes to plan and whatnot but honestly - just stop this is silly. Oh well end rant play-offs are awesome!!

Despite my guys decision to hang up the cleats,  I'm still pulling for Cal Lu.  He, on the other hand, refuses to pay any attention.  Still  trying to get the whole thing out of his system, I guess.   But I think it's awesome that they made it to the show, given that this year's team looked to be somewhat less loaded  -- at least on offense -- than last year's team  (which went 2 and out in the regionals.)

Last edited by SluggerDad
SluggerDad posted:
JCG posted:

They have enough pitching left?

Darned good question.  

I'm guessing not especially if it goes the full three gams.

I'm guessing they start their catcher today -- who started out as their #1 pitcher, but was  moved out of the rotation due to ineffectiveness a while ago.  He apparently hasn't pitched in weeks. 

No games today.  CLU can start over with their rotation beginning tomorrow.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.