Skip to main content

What are the D1's handing out these days?  Do any D1's give 100% anymore?  If so, probably the top recruited pitcher who may or may not be drafted out of high school.  Is there a traditional way of allocating percentages among the position players and pitchers?  Picking up 25% as a freshman, and if you're rostered sophomore year they'll bump you up to 50%? (I'm aware of a Big Ten school operating this way).  

While I'm aware of 11.7 scholarships given and spread out among 27 players giving an average of 43% per player.  Just wondering how college coaches allocate, and if any or how many players actually get 100%.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It is a good question.  I'll be interested in reading the answers.

With only 11.7 scholarships for the whole roster, it has gotta be tough putting a whole one into one player.  

If you are a lefty throwing 90+ or a Top 10 Draft pick or a pitcher throwing 95 though, I'm thinking you can negotiate a full ride somewhere.  But even those guys, if they have good grades, can get half athletic and half academic full rides.

It really illustrates how much high schoolers can help themselves moving forwards if they have good grades.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

While this seems like it should be an easy answer, it is not.    It really depends.

Technically, D1 Scholarships are limited to 11.7 full scholarships, to be split amongst up to 27 scholarship players.  There's a roster limit of 35- so 8 walk-ons.   Current minimum scholarship is 25%.  (there's been talk of this minum number changing, I don't think it has yet, but it may soon). 

There are many variables to this-  for instance:

1.  Many D1 programs don't fully fund baseball, they have less than the 11.7 limit.

2.  Many states have in state academic scholarships-  this may allow them to have many more players on a scholarship than the 11.7.

3.  Some private schools have money available that allows them to have more players on scholarship of some type than the 11.7

by and large, a very very small number of kids get 100%.   can't say it doesn't happen, but it's very rare.

The 11.7 number is misleading.  When my son was in HS, I thought too that it was 11.7 divided among 27 guys.  That's not necessarily the case.  It's 11.7 to a MAXIMUM of 27 guys meaning there may be fewer than 27 getting scholarships.  I found out this weekend that my son's school isn't fully funded.  Had never asked...just assumed they were....but heard they were only at 8, and may be at 9 this season.  Also heard that only a couple of teams in my son's league were at 11.7.  Again, surprised, as I thought they probably all were at it.  My question was this....his school with tuition & room and board is right around $20K.  I find it hard to believe that a school the size of his can't come up with $54K (2.7 x $20K) to fully fund the program.  They only fly once a year at most, so it's not like their travel budget is extravagant (his buddy on a Big 10 team flies 5 straight weekends early in the season).  Based on the 9 scholarship number, I'm guessing nobody on his team is over 50%, as I'm fairly sure we only have 6 or 7 guys that aren't getting any money.   Someone else mentioned the academic money.  My son's academic money is actually more than his baseball money. 

The other variable is if the school has need based money available.  Since I don't make an extravagant amount of money, Ryno was offered $51,000 out of $57,000 for a D-1 Program on the East Coast.  When you have players that can get that much money from need based funds, you don't have to give as much if any to some of your players.

I remember a power five coach saying about twenty players impact the team. So he would give 50% to twenty players and divide up the other 1.7 however he wanted. 

Players get more with academics and athletics combined. In some southern states tuition is free if high school grades are at a certain level. I don't know the details. But New York is about to give away college to everyone. It should help the SUNY baseball programs. 

rynoattack posted:

The other variable is if the school has need based money available.  Since I don't make an extravagant amount of money, Ryno was offered $51,000 out of $57,000 for a D-1 Program on the East Coast.  When you have players that can get that much money from need based funds, you don't have to give as much if any to some of your players.

I get it Ryno.. if you've got players that qualify for need based money (of which, it can be a higher income threshold than people realize) or players that qualify for academic money it ends up being more to offset student-athlete college costs.  I can also see the leverage a coach could have; being able to distribute an unused 25-50% scholarship to attract other players or uptick a scholarship amount to a top performer.

Sounds like it's working out well for you guys...

(edited grammar)

Last edited by Gov
KilroyJ posted:

I don't know, but based on my evidence, everyone I talk to has a son or grandson or cousin or friend that's getting a "full ride" to play baseball somewhere. Based on my sampling size of *anyone I talk baseball scholarships to* I'm pretty sure the average is 100%.  

I've learned to just say "good for him"!   

reality is the minimum 25% is one hell of an accomplishment!

Gov posted:
rynoattack posted:

I get it Ryno.. if you've got players that qualify for need based money (of which, it can be a higher income threshold than people realize) or players that qualify for academic money it ends up being more to offset student-athlete college costs.  I can also see the leverage a coach could have; being able to distribute an unused 25-50% scholarship to attract other players or uptick a scholarship amount to a top performer.

(edited grammar)

Right. If I'm not wrong, Stanford/'s published number this year was $125,000. Anyone from a family with a household income under this threshold pays no tuition - of course you have to get accepted. I believe Vandy, Notre Dame, etc. have similar situations which is almost like being able to double your scholarship limit if you're a private institution. I was shocked to find that at Ivy League school that has been in contact. I assumed his numbers were too low (not necessarily) and it would be impossible to afford. However, after using their cost calculator, it looked like - if he could get in - I'd only be about $5k/ year out of pocket.

roothog66 posted:
Gov posted:
rynoattack posted:

(edited grammar)

Right. If I'm not wrong, Stanford/'s published number this year was $125,000. Anyone from a family with a household income under this threshold pays no tuition - of course you have to get accepted. I believe Vandy, Notre Dame, etc. have similar situations which is almost like being able to double your scholarship limit if you're a private institution. I was shocked to find that at Ivy League school that has been in contact. I assumed his numbers were too low (not necessarily) and it would be impossible to afford. However, after using their cost calculator, it looked like - if he could get in - I'd only be about $5k/ year out of pocket.

And Ivy's income threshold is $240K ish?  Don't have time to look, but I think that was the number mentioned.  I know Stanford and ND are need blind colleges, but not aware what their income threshold is.  All of this keeps coming back to players staying serious in classroom, so many more college options available, and financing options available to the families.

pabaseballdad posted:
KilroyJ posted:

I don't know, but based on my evidence, everyone I talk to has a son or grandson or cousin or friend that's getting a "full ride" to play baseball somewhere. Based on my sampling size of *anyone I talk baseball scholarships to* I'm pretty sure the average is 100%.  

I've learned to just say "good for him"!   

reality is the minimum 25% is one hell of an accomplishment!

For most baseball players any athletic money beyond 25% is gravy.

KilroyJ posted:

LOL.  My favorite of all time is listening (at a major showcase) to this guy talk to a good friend of mine about his son's "triple scholarship"  (football, baseball and academic) into a D1 MAC conference school.   Apparently, all the money has been hiding in the MAC conference, unbeknownst to everyone.  Money trees are plentiful across the mid-west.  

Granted the young man was a talented athlete and a pretty good student, but his Dad was telling a whopper.   This was pure  listening entertainment as he rambled on, and we nodded our heads in agreement.

Last edited by fenwaysouth

100% agree with Kilroyj.  If I had a few dollars for every story I've heard of a baseball player on full athletic scholarship, including those that I know are headed D3, I could probably pay a good share of my family tuition bill.

Anyone else have news stories in their area every year about this time of the (non athletic) students that got into Harvard (or any of the Ivies) where the school wants them so much they are getting a full four year scholarship?  The news outlets can't even be bothered to understand how financial/merit aid works at these institutions. 

Last edited by 9and7dad

It's an art form and the great coaches master it leveraging all the other income streams. For the teams who win, negotiating partials into the future is common for role/future players and convincing others to enroll and walk on.

Here in Georgia the HOPE scholarship pays tuition if you have a 3.0 in HS and carry that through college. You'd think Ga Tech and UGA would never miss on a kid in GA and be much better than they are now. Hall seems to be on the hotseat and Strickland is rebuilding so he has time. 

Let me say a word in defense of some of the parents who seem to be exaggerating when somebody has the impertinence to ask them a question about their personal finances.

From the parent's point of view, the source of aid doesn't matter. "Scholarship" to them means the total size of the discount they get from the retail price of going to school.

At my son's first school, he had a 25% baseball scholarship to an out-of-state school. In addition, he qualified for in-state rates through a reciprocity agreement between the two states, but the compliance office decreed that the baseball team had to give him 25% of the out-of-state costs. He also got some academic merit money.

Out-of-state costs would have been about $36K. In-state costs were about $20K. So he got $16K through the academic common market, $9K from the baseball scholarship, and about $3K in merit money. 

How big of a scholarship did he receive? The baseball coach thought he received 25%. My checkbook thought he received 80%. 

I suspect many parents describe the size of the scholarship they receive from the perspective of their checkbook, not how much of the 11.7 baseball scholarship equivalencies their son was apportioned. Why should we care? It's none of our business.

9and7dad posted:

100% agree with Kilroyj.  If I had a few dollars for every story I've heard of a baseball player on full athletic scholarship, including those that I know are headed D3, I could probably pay a good share of my family tuition bill.

As a HS teacher and coach, I hear these stories everyday.  And unlike, 9and7, I actually do charge a few dollars to continue listening to them once I realize the diatribe is headed in the "my kid got a full ride offer" direction.  As a public HS teacher I have to subsidize my income somehow!

Personally, I believe that there is a perception in this world, that anyone who actually pays for education, especially higher education, is a sucker.  Now, to have the biggest boat on the block?  The biggest house?  That's where smart people spend their money!

No one bats an eyelash dropping $50K on a boat, $15K to go on a 1st Class vacation, or to have two autos in driveway worth $125K combined.  But to actually be known for spending that type of money on your kid's education, and not on those types of consumer driven desires?  Makes one a "chump" in these times.

And for the record?  I'm a chump.

KilroyJ posted:

Nailed it!  LOL!  That is hilarious!

Here is a question  for you experienced folks.

I am a divorced father of 2.  Daughter, a junior swimmer in HS, lives with her mom in one town.  My son, a freshman ball player, lives with me in another town.  My income is ok.  55-60K  a year.

The ex's is $150K salary + commissions and the BF (which could be husband #3) makes double that and sold his part of the business for a whole lot of zero's.

Daughter is already heavily recruited for swimming and some kind of scholarship will be  received.  I am not kept in the loop and my opinion is NOT considered.    I would be in charge of any recruiting for my son.

Now I know I have some kind of responsibility for my daughter.  My question is if my son is estranged from his mom does her income still count?  Will this  guys huge income count against my son or daughter too?  Is there anyway for JUST my income to be included in this financial calculations or is my ex going to continue to haunt me well past my divorce??

#1 Assistant Coach posted:
9and7dad posted:

As a HS teacher and coach, I hear these stories everyday.  And unlike, 9and7, I actually do charge a few dollars to continue listening to them once I realize the diatribe is headed in the "my kid got a full ride offer" direction.  As a public HS teacher I have to subsidize my income somehow!

Personally, I believe that there is a perception in this world, that anyone who actually pays for education, especially higher education, is a sucker.  Now, to have the biggest boat on the block?  The biggest house?  That's where smart people spend their money!

No one bats an eyelash dropping $50K on a boat, $15K to go on a 1st Class vacation, or to have two autos in driveway worth $125K combined.  But to actually be known for spending that type of money on your kid's education, and not on those types of consumer driven desires?  Makes one a "chump" in these times.

And for the record?  I'm a chump.

I'm a chump too.  Just glad to be getting a little help with the 2nd boy- first one went to a high academic d3, and need based meant "you don't need any".

ouch.

Kevin A posted:

I am a divorced father of 2.  Daughter, a junior swimmer in HS, lives with her mom in one town.  My son, a freshman ball player, lives with me in another town.  My income is ok.  55-60K  a year.

The ex's is $150K salary + commissions and the BF (which could be husband #3) makes double that and sold his part of the business for a whole lot of zero's.

Daughter is already heavily recruited for swimming and some kind of scholarship will be  received.  I am not kept in the loop and my opinion is NOT considered.    I would be in charge of any recruiting for my son.

Now I know I have some kind of responsibility for my daughter.  My question is if my son is estranged from his mom does her income still count?  Will this  guys huge income count against my son or daughter too?  Is there anyway for JUST my income to be included in this financial calculations or is my ex going to continue to haunt me well past my divorce??

I think you know the answer to that question!

seriously though-   I'd set up a meeting with your high school guidance counselor and ask these questions, assuming you have a good one.  Our was helpful.  Probably a lot of this depends on who he lives with and who claims your son as a dependent for tax purposes.  but I'm not expert, and your situation is more complicated than most, so I'd get some help on this one.

Kevin A posted:

Hey Kevin - go to this link for FAFSA which is the focal point for financial aid; all this information is then transferred to the specific college financial aid office (for merit, grants, automatic freshman scholarships).  As an exercise try to fill it out and you'll see questions for your tax information, your marital status etc... it could give you some insight ahead of time.  You need to be familiar with it when the conversations come up with the Ex next year.  Another idea, contact a college financial aid office and ask questions.  Maybe pick a college similar to what your daughter may be looking at, but not the actual school.  The people in the financial aid office are very  helpful.

FAFSA: https://fafsa.ed.gov/help.htm

Should help you get up on the learning curve...

Swampboy posted:

Let me say a word in defense of some of the parents who seem to be exaggerating when somebody has the impertinence to ask them a question about their personal finances.

From the parent's point of view, the source of aid doesn't matter. "Scholarship" to them means the total size of the discount they get from the retail price of going to school.

At my son's first school, he had a 25% baseball scholarship to an out-of-state school. In addition, he qualified for in-state rates through a reciprocity agreement between the two states, but the compliance office decreed that the baseball team had to give him 25% of the out-of-state costs. He also got some academic merit money.

Out-of-state costs would have been about $36K. In-state costs were about $20K. So he got $16K through the academic common market, $9K from the baseball scholarship, and about $3K in merit money. 

How big of a scholarship did he receive? The baseball coach thought he received 25%. My checkbook thought he received 80%. 

I suspect many parents describe the size of the scholarship they receive from the perspective of their checkbook, not how much of the 11.7 baseball scholarship equivalencies their son was apportioned. Why should we care? It's none of our business.

Trust me, I've never asked. The (mis)information is given without ANY provocation or impertinence on my part! I never ask for, nor offer any financial information to/from anyone. (not even so much as "what'd you pay for that bat?"). I agree it doesn't matter what the source is as long as the check clears, and I can appropriately admire any child who receives academic money, but there is a certain "prestige" to go along with the athletic part that the listener may/can/will associate with the player and his abilities, so I think that the truth might get stretched a little to amplify that, especially when a proud grandparent or other relative is concerned.

Who cares what someone else got for a ride? It didn't affect my bank account. I never cared what someone paid for their car or house. Some people like to brag on what they spend. Some people like to brag on what size scholarship their kid received as if it's a reflection on his ability. I find the ones who talk the most have the least to talk about and aren't telling the truth. 

I think people would be surprised how often 100% is offered. Still it would be considered very rare. It's all based on how many and which schools are bidding.  These are players that are considered certain impact.  College All American types. Three years and get drafted high.

However, many of these full ride types never set foot on campus.  They get drafted very early out of HS and start a professional career.  That is one of the major reasons why certain colleges look like they over recruit.  it is also a reason why there is often money left to sign late bloomers.  Every June, sometimes before if a player becomes a certain early draft pick and has expressed he wants to sign, a college he has committed to will be looking for a replacement and all of a sudden they have found the money to get one.

Think if you were in charge of a top college program.  Many very good players will want to play at your school for nothing or 25%.  Would you want the 6 very best players/.pitchers in the country and then use the other 5.7% to fill your roster.  Or would you want to get the next best players and spread your money out?  Which team is likely to be more successful?   Of course nothing is guaranteed because there are other factors.  Some programs are better at development than others, probably being the biggest factor.

PGStaff posted:

I think people would be surprised how often 100% is offered. Still it would be considered very rare. It's all based on how many and which schools are bidding.  These are players that are considered certain impact.  College All American types. Three years and get drafted high.

However, many of these full ride types never set foot on campus.  They get drafted very early out of HS and start a professional career.  That is one of the major reasons why certain colleges look like they over recruit.  it is also a reason why there is often money left to sign late bloomers.  Every June, sometimes before if a player becomes a certain early draft pick and has expressed he wants to sign, a college he has committed to will be looking for a replacement and all of a sudden they have found the money to get one.

Think if you were in charge of a top college program.  Many very good players will want to play at your school for nothing or 25%.  Would you want the 6 very best players/.pitchers in the country and then use the other 5.7% to fill your roster.  Or would you want to get the next best players and spread your money out?  Which team is likely to be more successful?   Of course nothing is guaranteed because there are other factors.  Some programs are better at development than others, probably being the biggest factor.

Logical, appreciate your perspective

PGStaff posted:

You have the benefit of seeing all the situations. A typical community has none of these high end, jaw dropping stud, instant impact, future high first round draft choice players.  The odds of having two in a community is up there with a poster here walking on the moon. And like you say eyre more likely to sign. How many parents brag about the size of the scholarship if the kid signs for seven figures? 

Last edited by RJM

the top programs with need based money as well as fully funded 11.7 plus academic money do the best from what I have seen.  now at one of my sons colleges, the money can and will change from year to year.  in as much as where the funds are coming from..... for instance if you already have 3 in college under a 120k threshold , then the chances are good the next one will be need. But as the years go by, the need can and will change to academic and or athletic

Kevin A posted:

When I worked in the financial aid office at a Big 10 university almost twenty years ago (so obviously this information may very well be outdated), we only considered the household that the student lived in. So in this case, your daughter's forms would include your wife and step-husband's info, while your son's forms would include just your info.

(And they do audit this stuff. My college roommate was in a similar situation as your daughter. She chose to claim that she lived with her father who earned much, much less than her step-father. Caused all sorts of trouble.)

Caveats: If your divorce decree states that you'll provide something for college, you're stuck with that. Also, this was at a public institution. Private schools can play by different rules.

Best advice is to call a school's financial aid office and ask a counselor the question. It's a fairly common situation and they should be able to give you a quick answer.

Aside from the 11.7 cap, the main reason there are so few 100% baseball scholarships is that baseball coaches are smart.

Their job is to get the best talent for the least amount of baseball scholarship funds, and they almost never need to bid 100% to land the talent they need.

Coaches are pretty good at figuring out what families are willing and able to pay. In our family's case, we told coaches who asked how much we were willing to contribute to our baseball player's education, and we let them know our son was responsible for covering any difference through jobs, scholarships, or loans.

When he received offers, the percentages varied widely, but the net out-of-pocket costs after figuring in-state, out-of-state, academic money, and other discounts were all within a narrow range centered around what they knew we were willing to pay. 

Last edited by Swampboy
Swampboy posted:

Aside from the 11.7 cap, the main reason there are so few 100% baseball scholarships is that baseball coaches are smart.

Their job is to get the best talent for the least amount of baseball scholarship funds, and they almost never need to bid 100% to land the talent they need.

Coaches are pretty good at figuring out what families are willing and able to pay. In our family's case, we told coaches who asked how much we were willing to contribute to our baseball player's education, and we let them know our son was responsible for covering any difference through jobs, scholarships, or loans.

When he received offers, the percentages varied widely, but the net out-of-pocket costs after figuring in-state, out-of-state, academic money, and other discounts were all within a narrow range centered around what they knew we were willing to pay. 

This.

The maximum is 100%, plus whatever "cost of attendance" stipend the school may offer.

These do happen, though only very, very rarely. 

It's kind of like when politicians talk about "targeted tax cuts" or the like.  You should always assume it won't happen for YOU!

More commonly, programs may put together a package that may combine baseball money, academic money, financial aid, and any other funding sources unique to the school.  There are often many avenues available to minorities deemed under-represented in the student body as well.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.