Skip to main content

2020.2023dad posted:
RJM posted:

The top soccer academies are telling their players (D1 and pro prospects) you will not play for the high school. Maybe there are less soccer coaches who played the game at a high level and know the game than baseball.

I have one soccer player. In our area many of the soccer club coaches didn't go to an american HS with sports. They may have no idea what HS camaraderie is all about and selfishly are just trying to keep their lucrative soccer coach gigs, by controlling the product.   Sadly we've reached a tipping point in baseball where HS programs are just for fun; but since you can't do both at the same time, there's a conflict.  I think state athletic associations should eliminate that restriction but require that pitching logs are kept, but I can see arguments on both sides including prevention of injuries etc. 

My son was recruited by a couple of elite soccer programs. They wanted him to drop all other sports and not play varsity soccer. My son told them he’s a baseball player. He did play varsity soccer and went to an elite goalie camp. 

Last edited by RJM

Son recruited and scouted in the Summer and watched during HS.

They watched his approach, interaction with coaches, officials and players. They even attended his hockey and soccer games.

These guys are looking for atheletes with good character.

He played for a HA Prep School where the fastest pitch was 78 mph.

Play HS Baseball, it'll be an unchecked box if you don't.

I can't speak for pitcher's but for position players your HS can impact where you play at the next level. Better programs have better track records for feeding into college. It is also more competitive to make the team. Weaker programs Just the opposite.  Hence the rise in spring leagues here in Calif.  At Stanford camp I heard a Pac 12 RC tell the boys that  one of the questions he asks head coaches is how many D1 players the head coach has had come out of his HS. If it has been few or none, then he is less apt to consider a player from that school.  It's thought that weaker schools don't prepare a kid for the D1/D2 levels as well.

Everyone knew my sons wanted to play college ball at any level, and most of the players were on the team just for fun with no aspirations beyond HS ball. Some were surprised that they didn't transfer. My sons were told by more than one  local college coach that anyone going to their HS wouldn't be ready for college baseball, That the good serious players transfer. It didnt stop them, although it did limit their exposure despite being on a recognized travel squad.   They still found college spots. They played for their HS and now one is playing out of state and the other is fighting it out in JUCO. 

Just realize that the better programs have more options but it may be more difficult to make the team and get play time.  It is also who you know and who they know. 

A lot of good advice here.  I'd like to point out that you are only young once. It's great that your son has high aspirations and he wants to improve during the HS season.  However, at some point baseball ends for everyone.  When his son looks at his dad's high school yearbook one day and he isn't in the baseball picture, do you think he will have regrets about that?

Also, consider the flip side. At my son's public high school here in California, the varsity baseball team has nearly 30 players on the roster. 7 players have already committed to colleges and there are AT LEAST 5-6 more that are D1/D2 caliber players. Included in this are 2 very good catchers stuck behind a stud senior D1 committed catcher.  

Last edited by WestCoastPapa
CaCO3Girl posted:

A lot of good advice here.  I'd like to point out that you are only young once. It's great that your son has high aspirations and he wants to improve during the HS season.  However, at some point baseball ends for everyone.  When his son looks at his dad's high school yearbook one day and he isn't in the baseball picture, do you think he will have regrets about that?

Not sure Caco cause we don't waste the $75 to buy the yearbook!!

Can we just be honest?  Nobody cares one way or another.  Even if they would 'prefer' that you play HS ball if a coach thinks you are better than the other kid they will take you.  If not they will take the other kid.  Its that simple.  Now I get that if they think the kid may flunk out or he has a criminal record etc that comes into play.  But this thought that they place such a high value on character...  Ok maybe for their lower end guys.  But if a kid with poor character is throwing 95 he will have no problem getting a deal!!  Besides travel ball as an option is now completely acceptable.  Don't want to  shock anyone but a kid who opts to just play travel ball can be a good character kid too!!!  Its just a choice nothing more nothing less.

RJM posted:
Robrod posted:
3and2Fastball posted:

Need more details

Valid reasons (in my opinion) to not play High School Baseball:

Injury concerns.  Arm getting abused by coach.  Coach not willing to change the arm abuse.

Other than that, unless the Coach is a complete sociopathic criminal, or engaging in overly excessive behavior such as punching players in the face, telling pitchers to intentionally throw at opponent's heads, sexually harassing the player's Mom etc, I'd say go play...

Only slight overuse issues... He led the school in innings, pitches, strikouts last year and was pitcher of the year.  I'm not OVERLY concerned.  he's not a pitcher as much as he is a hitter and he's pretty good at telling the coach when he's sore... they listen.

I'd classify the coach as a grumpy old guy.... so what.  He can deal with that. 

I think it's more about the fact that it's not fun to lose and the way it's happening.  He puts a lot on himself.  He feels that he needs to be perfect and if he's perfect they have a chance to complete.  Being good, the coach relies heavily on him to be perfect....   I do think the weight of the team is on his shoulders.  I think this tension makes playing not fun.

I would say that learning to deal with that pressure is a good thing... embrace it.  

Agree?

If he can’t handle the weight of the high school team on his shoulders he’s a long way from having the required mental and emotional discipline to compete for playing time at the college level. He should play high school ball just to work through handling the pressure. 

Chances are there will be frustration and pressure at the college level. Everyone can play. Will he be mentally ready when he gets his shot? What happens if he’s hitting .240 and knows if he doesn’t perform better he could end up on the bench? What if he sits then gets one shot to prove himself? Will he be mentally ready?

From having played and watching both kids play it’s the players who have mental disciple who survive college ball. After the first five studs (relative to the level of play) chances are the next thirty are competing for playing time at about thirteen positions. 

It’s an honor to earn the right to play college ball. It’s a challenge to prove you deserve to stay and play.

RJM - This post is so right, and exactly what Ryno is dealing with right now.  His team would now probably be rated 40 - 50 in D-1, and yet, there are so many good players on the team.  There are a lot of good players, and as a result, there is immense pressure on these kids to perform.  They are constantly faced with, "If I don't perform, I may lose my spot."  

Unfortunately, Ryan has lost his, but it will be interesting to see how mentally tough he is.  I believe he is, and I believe that he has handled the demotion well; but only time will tell.

2020dad posted:

Can we just be honest?  Nobody cares one way or another.  Even if they would 'prefer' that you play HS ball if a coach thinks you are better than the other kid they will take you.  If not they will take the other kid.  Its that simple.  Now I get that if they think the kid may flunk out or he has a criminal record etc that comes into play.  But this thought that they place such a high value on character...  Ok maybe for their lower end guys.  But if a kid with poor character is throwing 95 he will have no problem getting a deal!!  Besides travel ball as an option is now completely acceptable.  Don't want to  shock anyone but a kid who opts to just play travel ball can be a good character kid too!!!  Its just a choice nothing more nothing less.

I agree somewhat, but let's be honest, there are a lot more guys not throwing 95, than those that do.  Therefore, it does matter for most.  

Is it absolutely essential? No.  In most cases is it the right thing to do? I think Yes.

Last edited by rynoattack

I went back and checked in on a "high level" kid in our area who skipped HS baseball.  He was always on the top travel teams and scout teams and, yes, HS baseball would have been a "step down" in talent.  He "committed" early to a big D1 school.  Never attended.  Ended up at a top JUCO -- for a year.  Then transferred to another JUCO.  Then "committed" to another D1 school.  Not on the spring roster.  The kid is like a nomad -- always searching for the next thing.  HS baseball could have been a good, stable experience for him.  So IMO, take the opportunities you have today because you never know what will happen tomorrow.  

2boydad posted:

I can't speak for pitcher's but for position players your HS can impact where you play at the next level. Better programs have better track records for feeding into college. It is also more competitive to make the team. Weaker programs Just the opposite.  Hence the rise in spring leagues here in Calif.  At Stanford camp I heard a Pac 12 RC tell the boys that  one of the questions he asks head coaches is how many D1 players the head coach has had come out of his HS. If it has been few or none, then he is less apt to consider a player from that school.  It's thought that weaker schools don't prepare a kid for the D1/D2 levels as well.

Everyone knew my sons wanted to play college ball at any level, and most of the players were on the team just for fun with no aspirations beyond HS ball. Some were surprised that they didn't transfer. My sons were told by more than one  local college coach that anyone going to their HS wouldn't be ready for college baseball, That the good serious players transfer. It didnt stop them, although it did limit their exposure despite being on a recognized travel squad.   They still found college spots. They played for their HS and now one is playing out of state and the other is fighting it out in JUCO. 

Just realize that the better programs have more options but it may be more difficult to make the team and get play time.  It is also who you know and who they know. 

I disagree. If you’re a D1 prospect chances are you’re on a quality travel team. You’re seeing plenty of quality competition all summer. You’re seen by a lot more colleges coaches than playing in high school. Chances are you’re quality travel program has better college contacts than the typical high school coach.

Last edited by RJM
2020dad posted:

If you’re better. But after the top studs the difference between one player and the next couple hundred is minimal. Now the variables come into play. Playing or not playing high school ball is a variable. 

I would have rather-ed PG start a league in the spring with 8 teams playing at Lake Point than to play HS baseball.  HS baseball had it's place in the past.  As others have said the trend is for the more advanced player to get into soccer club, Baseball Academy  and so on.  Every tries to deal with HS baseball because the season is short. it's become a necessary evil for some players. And before everyone gets their nose out of joint removing the elite player   actually would make high school baseball what it should be a fun school activity.

Now I will give you the playing for your school, friends, city etc.... But for most elite players coming from populated areas, and having played travel ball since birth, the feelings are just not as strong for that as it might have been in the past.

There is no way that an elite player can get better playing HS baseball.  He is only making the others better and opening himself up for injury.   We  have them play travel ball in the summer for competition, the best they can play against and then bring them right back to mediocrity.  

I have literally heard 2018's HS coach tell parents in a parent meeting that travel ball is a big waste of money .

It's no one's fault really... just the separation within the  sport.

bacdorslider posted:

I would have rather-ed PG start a league in the spring with 8 teams playing at Lake Point than to play HS baseball.  HS baseball had it's place in the past.  As others have said the trend is for the more advanced player to get into soccer club, Baseball Academy  and so on.  Every tries to deal with HS baseball because the season is short. it's become a necessary evil for some players. And before everyone gets their nose out of joint removing the elite player   actually would make high school baseball what it should be a fun school activity. - I think you have to remove the emotion of being a 5%er from the equation. For an overwhelming majority of  HS players, HS baseball is THE pinnacle of their playing days. Your in HS once in a lifetime. That time should be spent as a high school student, taking in the various activities and getting involved. They will get where they're going soon enough and the ability to overcome adversity, making adjustments will only make them better.

I don't believe HS baseball was any better 30 + years ago. It was probably worse as we were left alone to simply play the game and figure it out without lessons and academies.......and  using the original BBCOR, lol, one piece spun aluminum.

Now I will give you the playing for your school, friends, city etc.... But for most elite players coming from populated areas, and having played travel ball since birth, the feelings are just not as strong for that as it might have been in the past. - I really think it sends the wrong message. The kids should play the game first for the love of the game. Too much emphasis on "winning the lottery", aka, college scholarships and draft. Those opportunities will come anyway for the upper 5%. 

There is no way that an elite player can get better playing HS baseball.  He is only making the others better and opening himself up for injury.   We  have them play travel ball in the summer for competition, the best they can play against and then bring them right back to mediocrity.  - Sure there is.......work on the mental game by battling through things a player CAN control and not worrying about the things they cannot. If a player can't handle the trials and tribulations of HS ball........college and pro ball will eat them up and spit them out.

I have literally heard 2018's HS coach tell parents in a parent meeting that travel ball is a big waste of money . - A matter of perspective really. Yes it is for 95% of all HS players.........IF they are playing for the "lottery". Not so much IF it's for the love of the game, the competition and  comradery.

It's no one's fault really... just the separation within the  sport. - 30-40 years ago.......the separation was there. The college bound players knew where they were going and in the Spring of their Senior year, draft eligible players knew they were being considered through personal contact and scouts at the fence. Back then they were still fish in a pond..............

MLB has seen the separation differently. COST to play the game, pay to play, pay to stay (listen to ABCA Ep71). When there is concern about exclusion due to cost, you can bet change is coming.

There is a movement in baseball to reach those in the inner cities creating opportunities, creating player scholarships to get the right athletes into baseball. Inner City Urban Youth Academies  just as they have in Latin American countries, an opportunity to play the game for free of charge with the best instructors and facilities money can buy. 

BDS - you got a fine pitcher. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy/embrace the now. He will get where he's going regardless of what others do, say or think . Remember there's 95% of HS players that WISH they were going where he's headed.

Our former travel organization formed a spring league for players who did not want to  play for could not play for their HS.  Some of those players played a different spring sport for their HS while playing in the spring league for baseball.  Many of those players went on to college ball at all levels. 

Also many very good but not Power or MLB Draft player will get lost in the crowd, so your school does matter.  It can be what separates you from the crowd.  Just as some colleges/graduate schools carry more weight with employers than others, better programs often carry more credibility with college coaches than weaker programs.  And for the position players, there are only so many schools looking for your position. Every school at all levels are looking m for  multiple pitchers and maybe SS  but may at best be looking for only 1 at your position.  Who you play for can make a difference as to wear you go. Friend's son SS PG ranking 8 from very good program goes to D1 Others i know  OF, catcher, corner infield same PG ranking but smaller schools go D3. 

I heard an interesting twist on the "school program matters" theme from a mid-major pitching coach this winter. He said something like (I'm paraphrasing, but this was the gist):

"It's funny, you talk to high school coach in some remote area about a kid, and the kid may be far and away the best player who has ever played there, and the coach will go completely overboard and tell you 'I think he's gonna be drafted' and you want to say to him 'Um, no, he's a marginal D1 talent.' And then you talk to a high school coach in South Florida or California about a kid, and this coach has played in like AA or AAA, and he's had multiple kids drafted, and super high level college players and the coach will be like 'Uh, I'm not too sure about him' and you want to say 'What are you talking about?! He's really good!' We always want to hear what the high school coach says but sometimes they don't have the best perspective."

RJM posted:
2boydad posted:

I disagree. If you’re a D1 prospect chances are you’re on a quality travel team. You’re seeing plenty of quality competition all summer. You’re seen by a lot more colleges coaches than playing in high school. Chances are you’re quality travel program has better college contacts than the typical high school coach.

Only if the parents can afford it, and sometimes they can’t or think it’s ridiculous to drop 5K on a 10th graders travel ball team.  Are there the hole in the wall teams that play it cheap, yes, but they aren’t well known.

Backpick25 posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I would have rather-ed PG start a league in the spring with 8 teams playing at Lake Point than to play HS baseball.  HS baseball had it's place in the past.  As others have said the trend is for the more advanced player to get into soccer club, Baseball Academy  and so on.  Every tries to deal with HS baseball because the season is short. it's become a necessary evil for some players. And before everyone gets their nose out of joint removing the elite player   actually would make high school baseball what it should be a fun school activity. - I think you have to remove the emotion of being a 5%er from the equation. For an overwhelming majority of  HS players, HS baseball is THE pinnacle of their playing days. Your in HS once in a lifetime. That time should be spent as a high school student, taking in the various activities and getting involved. They will get where they're going soon enough and the ability to overcome adversity, making adjustments will only make them better.

I don't believe HS baseball was any better 30 + years ago. It was probably worse as we were left alone to simply play the game and figure it out without lessons and academies.......and  using the original BBCOR, lol, one piece spun aluminum.

Now I will give you the playing for your school, friends, city etc.... But for most elite players coming from populated areas, and having played travel ball since birth, the feelings are just not as strong for that as it might have been in the past. - I really think it sends the wrong message. The kids should play the game first for the love of the game. Too much emphasis on "winning the lottery", aka, college scholarships and draft. Those opportunities will come anyway for the upper 5%. 

There is no way that an elite player can get better playing HS baseball.  He is only making the others better and opening himself up for injury.   We  have them play travel ball in the summer for competition, the best they can play against and then bring them right back to mediocrity.  - Sure there is.......work on the mental game by battling through things a player CAN control and not worrying about the things they cannot. If a player can't handle the trials and tribulations of HS ball........college and pro ball will eat them up and spit them out.

I have literally heard 2018's HS coach tell parents in a parent meeting that travel ball is a big waste of money . - A matter of perspective really. Yes it is for 95% of all HS players.........IF they are playing for the "lottery". Not so much IF it's for the love of the game, the competition and  comradery.

It's no one's fault really... just the separation within the  sport. - 30-40 years ago.......the separation was there. The college bound players knew where they were going and in the Spring of their Senior year, draft eligible players knew they were being considered through personal contact and scouts at the fence. Back then they were still fish in a pond..............

MLB has seen the separation differently. COST to play the game, pay to play, pay to stay (listen to ABCA Ep71). When there is concern about exclusion due to cost, you can bet change is coming.

There is a movement in baseball to reach those in the inner cities creating opportunities, creating player scholarships to get the right athletes into baseball. Inner City Urban Youth Academies  just as they have in Latin American countries, an opportunity to play the game for free of charge with the best instructors and facilities money can buy. 

BDS - you got a fine pitcher. Don't sweat the small stuff, enjoy/embrace the now. He will get where he's going regardless of what others do, say or think . Remember there's 95% of HS players that WISH they were going where he's headed.

You know I agree  with a lot of what you posted.  I am beginning to think that my issue is not at all with hs school baseball . My issue is with this particular program that I have been a part of for the past 10 years. That's a long time. 

For instance, last season we had three SEC pitchers, 1 SEC catcher,  1 C-USA pitcher and two juco players going to a Texas juco.  I watched as this team and the players on it got worse as the season went along. The players did not enjoy it at all and could not wait for it to end.  I was  more than concerned about what would happen when these players went to school. 

As it turns out the SEC pitchers are going great, very proud of them. One is starting going deep in games as a freshman. One of the Juco kids was 0-35 last year in high school... now he is hitting .390 and 7 dingers ....I really believe the talent was there, but this coach has a way of killing it for the players.

many times the opposing teams parents will make comments about how flat and down and not really having fun ...and sadly it's true.  Of course these same players thrive in other environments be it travel ball, P5 , JUCO doesn't matter the level or the position once they leave this program they do better.  Last year with all that talent he was barely .500 and lost 12 games by a run.........

My 2013 was the same way. coach never thought much of him , never really played him, but from summer he went Juco then D1. 

Now I have heard the coaches don't make anything for what they do, and I agree they should make more. Last weeks practice schedule. Friday short practice, sat no practice, sunday no practice, monday he calls off practice, tuesday scrimmage, and was upset about the errors in the scrimmage ( I guess) so has a 6:30 am practice Wednesday.... makes no sense.

Luckily , 2018 does not let it get to him as he is living in the moment.  It bothers him a little at the time but he seems to go over it fairly quickly.  I would be more concerned if it did not bother him at all.

So maybe its not the HS school baseball but rather the high school baseball in my town.

bacdorslider posted:

I would have rather-ed PG start a league in the spring with 8 teams playing at Lake Point than to play HS baseball.  HS baseball had it's place in the past.  As others have said the trend is for the more advanced player to get into soccer club, Baseball Academy  and so on.  Every tries to deal with HS baseball because the season is short. it's become a necessary evil for some players. And before everyone gets their nose out of joint removing the elite player   actually would make high school baseball what it should be a fun school activity.

Now I will give you the playing for your school, friends, city etc.... But for most elite players coming from populated areas, and having played travel ball since birth, the feelings are just not as strong for that as it might have been in the past.

There is no way that an elite player can get better playing HS baseball.  He is only making the others better and opening himself up for injury.   We  have them play travel ball in the summer for competition, the best they can play against and then bring them right back to mediocrity.  

I have literally heard 2018's HS coach tell parents in a parent meeting that travel ball is a big waste of money .

The academy route assumes a kid wants to commit to one sport. It’s what the academies demand. If a kid wants to play two sports he has to play high school ball. I’m happy all the other good athletes were there in both sports so my son could have a quality high school sports experience.

CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
2boydad posted:

Only if the parents can afford it, and sometimes they can’t or think it’s ridiculous to drop 5K on a 10th graders travel ball team.  Are there the hole in the wall teams that play it cheap, yes, but they aren’t well known.

If a player is a D1prospect and can help a travel team win he doesn’t have to worry about cost. Some team will find a way to cover the costs.

bacdorslider posted:

Tell that to my friends who unexpectedly won the state championship 

bacdorslider posted:
Backpick25 posted:
bacdorslider posted:

You know I agree  with a lot of what you posted.  I am beginning to think that my issue is not at all with hs school baseball . My issue is with this particular program that I have been a part of for the past 10 years. That's a long time. 

For instance, last season we had three SEC pitchers, 1 SEC catcher,  1 C-USA pitcher and two juco players going to a Texas juco.  I watched as this team and the players on it got worse as the season went along. The players did not enjoy it at all and could not wait for it to end.  I was  more than concerned about what would happen when these players went to school. 

As it turns out the SEC pitchers are going great, very proud of them. One is starting going deep in games as a freshman. One of the Juco kids was 0-35 last year in high school... now he is hitting .390 and 7 dingers ....I really believe the talent was there, but this coach has a way of killing it for the players.

many times the opposing teams parents will make comments about how flat and down and not really having fun ...and sadly it's true.  Of course these same players thrive in other environments be it travel ball, P5 , JUCO doesn't matter the level or the position once they leave this program they do better.  Last year with all that talent he was barely .500 and lost 12 games by a run.........

My 2013 was the same way. coach never thought much of him , never really played him, but from summer he went Juco then D1. 

Now I have heard the coaches don't make anything for what they do, and I agree they should make more. Last weeks practice schedule. Friday short practice, sat no practice, sunday no practice, monday he calls off practice, tuesday scrimmage, and was upset about the errors in the scrimmage ( I guess) so has a 6:30 am practice Wednesday.... makes no sense.

Luckily , 2018 does not let it get to him as he is living in the moment.  It bothers him a little at the time but he seems to go over it fairly quickly.  I would be more concerned if it did not bother him at all.

So maybe its not the HS school baseball but rather the high school baseball in my town.

I get it. We all have pride and are proud of the players accomplishments and love to see great players do big things in the game.

Attitude and effort are the things players can control. Coaches can sometimes get in the way but  seldom determine the outcome of the game if the players control the controllables.

Bottom line,  we don’t have to like the HS program but we have to respect it and the folks that run them. I won’t get into pay....... that’s another topic as there are just as many or more bad coaches as there are good. The good ones realize that baseball information is not exclusive to the level of play and seek out the best information and resources.

If you recall, I absolutely gave props to your sons HS facility,an amazing complex. What a great facility the community has managed to assemble for the kids. They are truly blessed.

Trust me, it’s tough to watch my 2018 play HS ball with one other teammate that played travel ball. The rest played local rec league. You know what? It’s all good! I’ve come to realize, I don’t make a big deal of it, neither will he. It didn’t alter his path no more than the player expectations and a perceived bad coach altered your sons path.   It’s all good with my son who gets to play the game and I get to watch him play. That’s something I know doesn’t last forever.  

RJM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
2boydad posted:

If a player is a D1prospect and can help a travel team win he doesn’t have to worry about cost. Some team will find a way to cover the costs.

Usually I agree with 99% of what you say, but youth baseball has become such a big business I just haven't seen this altruistic attitude.   I would call a 10th grader in the mid 80's with movement a D1 prospect and there are more than a handful that aren't playing on quality teams in GA because the cost is just too high.  Then again the cost is supposed to be high when you play 7+ PG events.  However, to be a quality team you have to play the best competition, the best competition is at PG, PG (rightly so) costs big money, so the team fees are more, many parents just can't afford it, so their kid is not on a quality team. They go to a team that plays in 1 PG event, or none.  They aren't seeing the best of the best then, so I would not call it a quality team.

Golfman25 posted:
bacdorslider posted:

Tell that to my friends who unexpectedly won the state championship 

I have no idea what that statement is supposed to mean.... tell your friends what?  Every year some team is going to win the state championship in all levels, in all states , in all sports..... Its great to win...

CAco, I understand the frustration. We all operate within a budget - some have more revenues coming in, others have different priorities, others have multiple children, etc., which limit the unlimited amount which could be spent in this race.

I understand a kid wanting to play for the best travel team; but at the cost your referencing? Wow. 

While baseball is off in the rear view mirror for our family, I will note - again - that my son didn't play on a travel ball team past 9th grade; and, all the teams he played on before that would be considered purely local. The lone exception was the fall scout ball league which played solely in Southern California and cost $80 per player (two seasons).

A college coach doesn't recruit teams; he recruits individual players.

We prioritized (1) individual skill building with good coaches (Pitching and conditioning were successes [same coach], hitting was a waste) and (2) showcase type camps (e.g., Stanford, HF, and even the local D1 camp). Virtually zero dollars went to team related stuff. 

If a kid develops individual skills which are good enough to allow him a shot at the next level, there is an entire industry - pro and college - which is devoted to finding him. It sounds cliche, but except for an outlier here and there, EVERY player with that potential is found. Our area scouts here will literally drive a few hours into the desert to watch a kid play on his HS grassless field buffeted with high winds and tumble weeds. Moreover, if a scout sees a kid who doesn't have the pro potential (yet), that scout has a complete network of college coaches covering a gamut of schools to whom he will inform about the kid. One of my son's former teammates was the area scout in western Texas; drove 100,000 miles his first year looking, looking, searching, searching. This system is totally designed to find everyone.

Parents: unlimited sums can be spent. That's fine - if you have it and choose to spend it on baseball. But, most of that most of that money isn't doing much to get you to the goal. Kids are recruited based upon their existing skills and potential; not whether the kid hits the cutoff during a game (for parents of college players: how many times do you see outfielders missing their cutoff man in college? But that outfielder can hit.) Skills are the goal, so skill building is the key. Therefore, take that money and put it where it gets maximum bang for that buck. IMO, travel teams provide the lowest bang for the buck.

(Example: my son - smallish [at least in HS] LHP got multiple offers as a result of the following venues: HF (x3), Stanford (x2), Scout Ball (x2), HS ball (a worse team could not be found, but he loved it), AND after throwing bullpens in his PCs back yard in front of scouts and coaches.)

Don't blindly follow your parental peers; the overwhelming majority are not following any thought out plan and are simply following the herd. 

Coach son drove about 500 miles yesterday to watch 2 pitchers in HS games. One was at one of top 5 HS in country, the other not sure about.

He didn't go to see who won or who lost he went to see the pitchers " stuff".  How the pitcher prepares in the pen how he interacts in the dugout with teammates, his demeanor on the mound, etc. He determines whether the player has potential  according to his standards for the program he works for.  Both of these pitchers reached out to the HC for consideration as a walk on. Both currently mid 80s. 

So for all of you trying to figure out how it works, thats how it works. And don't sell character short or playing HS BB, it's important going into the college program ( not as high on the list in pro ball) also is about all players " stuff", grades, whether he will buy in to the philosophy.

GOOSEGG,

Was replying when you were. You are 100% correct, coaches don't recruit teams, they recruit players.

I am a big believer that you don't have to be on a high profile team or break the bank doing showcases to get a scholarship. Usually it just becomes an excuse when the parent sees others getting offers early. I would concentrate on what's important, which might mean contacting programs that fit the players skills. Way to many want to play on programs that they will get lost at. Consider it a favor that any coach from any top conferences hasn't offered, it usually doesnt turn out well.

JMO

All,

Paying big $$ to play for teams attending big events means zip, if you don't understand how to maneuver/market Johnny before, during, and after the events. 

The youth sports industry focuses on their clients: PARENTS

Recruiters and Scouts are looking for ATHELETES. 

Pay $$ for DEVELOPMENT of skills, SAT prep, Baseball Etiquette.

My wife and I guide families (no fees) through the process based on a request of our Johnny, who noticed the fall off of good players as he advanced. 

We're in the NE which has its weather challenges and baseball was a tircheary sport for him.

We had no guide and attended strategic events starting in the Summer of his Sophomore year. 

Networked him on to higher level tournament teams with minimal cost ($1,000-$1,500) per Summer for 2 teams. Used 1.5 months of vacation during Junior Summer.

Johnny didn't play for the $3,500 local (travel/tourney) teams because they weren't getting good draws at events ( followed the teams on line 2 years prior). Also noticed where local players attended College (as fans mostly). 

Parents/advisors: you have one client. If you are following the local heard and find yourself chirping about what your doing with Johnny with other parents, you're probably going to miss opportunities within your grasp.

1) Attend a weekend home series of any College your interested in. Alternately, stay local at the same level and go during the week to see the practice regimen, coach interaction, player ethic.

2) Focus on Development and play indicidual sports that use different muscles and feed hand/eye. Squash, tennis, ping pong, bowling. Plus, it's fun to do away from the game when traveling.

3) PM for more thoughts that differ from the norm.

For the Record: Our Johnny attended D1-SEC and was drafted high and is now in 2 minor league season. Position player that was not recruited by any other College and played Ice Hockey as primary sport until Sophomore year.

And yes, he played for his HS team with Gaels of 30 mph, temporary back stop, no stands, and Fog in Rhode Island.

Every now and then his HS pals are on Snapchat in the stands and after his games in the SEC and Midwest.

HS baseball- Important for all of the reasons mentioned through this thread. 

Its our past-time for goodness sake

CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
RJM posted:
2boydad posted:

Usually I agree with 99% of what you say, but youth baseball has become such a big business I just haven't seen this altruistic attitude.   I would call a 10th grader in the mid 80's with movement a D1 prospect and there are more than a handful that aren't playing on quality teams in GA because the cost is just too high.  Then again the cost is supposed to be high when you play 7+ PG events.  However, to be a quality team you have to play the best competition, the best competition is at PG, PG (rightly so) costs big money, so the team fees are more, many parents just can't afford it, so their kid is not on a quality team. They go to a team that plays in 1 PG event, or none.  They aren't seeing the best of the best then, so I would not call it a quality team.

The kid who makes a difference helps bring in more paying customers. The really good teams mostly create rosters by invite. But I’ve seen demand create B teams. Regardless of what I think of B and C teams it’s more paying customers. 

Winning travel teams don’t make top players. Top players make travel teams win. I’m pro travel. It was a great experience. But so was high school ball. I figure if a talented kid wants to play college ball at the right level he will find a way to make it happen regardless of where he plays. 

Note: “Wants” does not mean “wishes.” A player can wish all he wants and nothing will happen. Wanting something to happen involves effort. For some, more effort than others.

Last edited by RJM

Why play high school sports?

I’ve been watching a lot of the high school state tournament basketball. In an interview a kid from the state championship team seemed overwhelmed by winning. When asked the kid said all he ever wanted to do was win the state championship. Now that he’s done it he realizes it’s more about the teammates he’s had, some since he was playing rec ball who he will never play with again.

Embrace the moment!

Last edited by RJM

My sons new coaches came in with a no cut policy. They are trying to build up the program and want as many kids as possible. So that left us with some pretty bad players. One kid a senior who had never touched a baseball or bat before coming out. He said he had went all through HS and never really did anything and wanted to do at least one thing. My son, the only kid on the entire team that plays any kind of ball during the summer, and the only kid that has any dream of playing beyond HS, and the one kid who by others beliefs should want to transfer to a better program, took to this kid over the fall and winter workouts. They worked on hitting almost everyday. So first scrimmage of the year son goes 3 innings and K'd all 9 batters he faced. The game went 10 or 11 innings and everyone played. So in the last innining the aforementioned kid comes to the plate and on the first live pitch he had ever seen in his life, hits it about 375 to dead center on a field with a 390 fence hahaha. Now which do you think my son was most proud of. His performance or this kids at bat. Well the centerfielder camped under it for the out and as the kid ran through first and headed back to the dug out my son tackled him on the field lol. 

Our team isn't any good. Our coaches don't know a lot about baseball. Teachers kids play that shouldn't. Boosters kids play that shouldn't. But my son loves to play and has a blast on the team. The only thing stopping a kid from enjoying HS baseball is the kid himself.  Us parents need to remember to just shut up and not tell the kid he isn't having any fun. Yes I have to tell my self that a lot. 

As for the smaller lesser known programs. We're a tiny little nothing middle of no where school in a district full of tiny little nothing middle of no where schools. Most schools have at least one starter that can barely catch a ball. Our coaches are history, English, and science teaches who never played past HS if the even played HS. Yet our district still sends players to D1 programs every year. Including the occasional top 25 programs. The whole I didnt get recruited because of the HS I played for is an excuse nothing more. 

bacdorslider posted:
Backpick25 posted:
bacdorslider posted:

I was at a college camp this fall and a bunch of us dads were sitting around talking baseball. One of the topics was how shocked we all were that your sons program didn't make it out of the district with all that talent. Heck I don't know you or anyone in that program and I feel frustrated hahahaha. I can't imagine how yaw feel. 

Scotty83 posted:

My sons new coaches came in with a no cut policy. They are trying to build up the program and want as many kids as possible. So that left us with some pretty bad players. One kid a senior who had never touched a baseball or bat before coming out. He said he had went all through HS and never really did anything and wanted to do at least one thing. My son, the only kid on the entire team that plays any kind of ball during the summer, and the only kid that has any dream of playing beyond HS, and the one kid who by others beliefs should want to transfer to a better program, took to this kid over the fall and winter workouts. They worked on hitting almost everyday. So first scrimmage of the year son goes 3 innings and K'd all 9 batters he faced. The game went 10 or 11 innings and everyone played. So in the last innining the aforementioned kid comes to the plate and on the first live pitch he had ever seen in his life, hits it about 375 to dead center on a field with a 390 fence hahaha. Now which do you think my son was most proud of. His performance or this kids at bat. Well the centerfielder camped under it for the out and as the kid ran through first and headed back to the dug out my son tackled him on the field lol. 

Our team isn't any good. Our coaches don't know a lot about baseball. Teachers kids play that shouldn't. Boosters kids play that shouldn't. But my son loves to play and has a blast on the team. The only thing stopping a kid from enjoying HS baseball is the kid himself.  Us parents need to remember to just shut up and not tell the kid he isn't having any fun. Yes I have to tell my self that a lot. 

As for the smaller lesser known programs. We're a tiny little nothing middle of no where school in a district full of tiny little nothing middle of no where schools. Most schools have at least one starter that can barely catch a ball. Our coaches are history, English, and science teaches who never played past HS if the even played HS. Yet our district still sends players to D1 programs every year. Including the occasional top 25 programs. The whole I didnt get recruited because of the HS I played for is an excuse nothing more. 

Exactly!!!!!

Scotty83 posted:

I’ve always felt more kids would have a good time playing sports if their parents would stop telling them they’re not having a good time.

I remember my father asking me about my junior high football team if Blood, Sweat and Tears was a band or the name of our team.

We only had four players good enough to play in high school. Only one was a lineman. The other three of us ran for our lives. I was an option QB with no blocking. I didn’t cut upfield often. My job was to pitch the ball at the last second as I got drilled in the chest. We went 1-7. Ironically our only win was against Our Ladies. I think the entire name was Our Lady of the Immacualte Conception. In other words we were good enough to beat a pregnant lady by a touchdown.

The four of us enjoyed the struggle. It upped our game mentally. We played for a state champion high school team (fed by five junior highs).

Last edited by RJM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.