Skip to main content

Originally Posted by tres_arboles:

My boy (2016) played his first varsity game last Wednesday night on a nice local college field and made the most of it. Two-out, two-strike triple with the bases loaded in the 6th completed a come-from-behind win. Son's team beat a very serious contender for the 4A state championship on their way to defending their own state 3A championship. Gravy: the area's paper of record covered the game with a reporter and photog and son got the headline and a three column photo of the swing.  

Last game of the regular season is tomorrow. Son has had a good season. He is very close to leading the league in hitting and stolen bases. Since this is his first year on Varsity in a very competitive baseball program, I was hoping he would at least contribute to the team defending their state championship. He's done far more. Very gratifying in view of the sacrifice he makes every off-season to play this game. Team has been plagued by inconsistency and bad luck but still very much in the mix. Could not be happier right now.

We are in our post season play as most teams are in the southeast. Its been an incredible year for my 2015 son. Our team is loaded this year and should make the state playoffs. We play our Regional semi final game on Tuesday the 5th. We have played this team twice and we split, with the last time crushing them 17-3 on their home turf. we have a 1-2 punch in pitching and have an absolute powerful offense. My son will be starting the game on Tuesday and I'm so excited for him but yet nervous as all get out. Looking forward to an exciting game. I know he will compete as he has all year and do what he does best to get his team a win. He's 7-1 on the year with a .46 ERA. 

2017 is having a great season so far...batting .481 (33 PA) and 1.064 OPS.  He also got a shot on the bump in a game where the starter struggled, ended up allowing no earned and K'd 5 in 3 2/3 innings.  That earned him a shot at a start the following week and get went the distance allowing 3 with 3 K's and only 83 pitches.  Hoping to get his 2nd start this week. 

Originally Posted by tres_arboles:

Son's team played their Conference semi last night. Son had the game winning grandslam in the top of the 6th. Pretty fun for mom and I. Coincidentally, both his HS homers have come with the sacks full. Conference finals tomorrow night then Districts.

Awesome. I hope you were able to save the homerun ball.

Our boys won their regional Final on Tuesday and we move on to State Final Four. It was a heck of a game, mercy ruling a team that had been in control in our district since 2011. We play down at Jet Blue Park next Mon/Tuesday. Its been a great year for our sons senior year and it keeps getting better. Looks like he will get the opportunity to pitch the championship game, of course we've to get to it. Blessed

2nd round of playoffs was the most exciting game I've witnessed.  

1st game my son's team won 6-0 on great pitching.  Plate umpire did well for both sides allowing a wide strike zone and forcing the batters to swing.

2nd game my son pitched a 2 hit ball game that we won 3-2 for the series win.  The pitcher for the other team was really good and accurate.  Last inning 1 man on with one out for the opposing team.  The batter (who bats 4th in the lineup) hits a rocket to left-center that looked to be at least a double to score the tying run.  Our centerfielder (left hand thrower), who is extremely fast, runs at breakneck speed, leaps, dives and sno-cones the catch for the 2nd out and the runner barely makes it back to 1st. This was the best catch I've ever witnessed. 

Ending note:  Unfortunately the plate umpire for the 2nd game had a strike zone that was small and moved around.  There were strikes  for both pitchers that were called balls.  And I'm talking about strikes down the middle across the plate.  Truly embarrassing.  I'm sure it affected the outcome of the game. 

Our 1st pitcher who pitched a complete game throws about 75 mph but has good movement. 

Last edited by lionbaseball

Well our team is down in Ft Myers for the Final Four. Should be a great game tomorrow. Our son will DH and if we are fortunate to move onto the finals Tuesday, he will be the starting pitcher. Excited for him, it being his senior year. It has been a fantastic season for he and his team and he has exceeded all our expectations. Feeling Blessed

Originally Posted by Coach Bob:

2017 is having a great season so far...batting .481 (33 PA) and 1.064 OPS.  He also got a shot on the bump in a game where the starter struggled, ended up allowing no earned and K'd 5 in 3 2/3 innings.  That earned him a shot at a start the following week and get went the distance allowing 3 with 3 K's and only 83 pitches.  Hoping to get his 2nd start this week. 

Update:  2017 has slowed a bit at the plate but only because he's hitting rockets AT guys.  He was pressing a bit after hearing he might get a call up.  Well he did get the call up and although he only played two innings w/ one AB he loved his first experience.  He's still North of .420 and had another win on the bump last week and after the last JV game tomorrow will spend the rest of the season with the Varsity. 

Nothing better than seeing your kid smiling from ear to ear!!  Never gets old!!

Son's club won Conference Championship last weekend. Boyo was 3-3 with another homer. This kid is 5'9" 170. He had 8 hits included the two jacks, in 13 ABs in league playoffs. So joyous.

State Regional 3A Semi-finalsare played in different locations around Washington tomorrow. Win 2 you're in the State Semi's, to be played, along with the 3A state championship game, at University of Washington's beautiful Husky Ball Park on Lake Washington in Seattle next weekend.

Fingers crossed.

Been depressed today. No baseball as My 2017s JV season ended Thursday night. No end of season tourney (although theres one being played with many area teams including the cross town rival, but I guess our program feels 33 games was enough). It's been a long season sort of with a shoulder injury after the 12th game, no pitching or OF and limited until last week to only DH. Before the injury he was pitching great, well enough he heard to be the next called up. His goal all off season was to make the varsity as an OF and pitcher, both areas where they were supposed to be weak. Didn't happen. Only 1 player was called up to catch almost every inning this season. My son was hoping despite the injury he was deserving to be called up for playoffs next week but was told to clean out the locker. Then came some hope. He's told by the JV coach that he should report for varsity practice on Friday. Maybe he got the call up?  Well looks like they asked 4-5 pitchers to come out and they might be throwing some BP to the team. Friday they shagged balls in the OF.  Heres his dilemma that I will ask you all to weight in on.  He can start practicing with his travel team next week. He asked the HS coach if he is being added to the playoff roster because he wants to start practicing and HSA rules do not allow that. The coach responded that he can practice with the travel team so it looks like he's not being considered to dress next week. I told him the coach is looking for ways to help them get ready for playoffs and this is a way for him to be part of it and extend his season.  He isn't really looking at it that way, kinda feels slighted, and would rather start his new season. I told him to try to commit to both, and he better be there to throw some BP.  Comments welcome!!!!!

Originally Posted by wsoxfanatic:

... Before the injury he was pitching great, well enough he heard to be the next called up.... He's told by the JV coach that he should report for varsity practice on Friday. ... Well looks like they asked 4-5 pitchers to come out and they might be throwing some BP to the team. Friday they shagged balls in the OF.  ... the coach is looking for ways to help them get ready for playoffs and this is a way for him to be part of it and extend his season.  He isn't really looking at it that way, kinda feels slighted, ...

A few quotes for your son...

“...the single most significant decision I can make on a day-to-day basis is my choice of attitude.  It is more important than my past, my education, my bankroll, my successes or failures, fame or pain, what other people think of me or say about me, my circumstances or my position.  Attitude keeps me going or cripples my progress.  It alone fuels my fire or assaults my hope.  When my attitudes are right, there is no barrier too high, no valley too deep, no dream too extreme, no challenge too great for me.”

Charles R Swindoll

"Life is 10% what happens and 90% how you react to it."  We are in charge of our attitudes.

Your 2017 son has been asked by his likely future V coach to help his HS team prepare for playoffs.  I'll stop there.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

Our season came to an end after losing the first 2 out of 3 games in the 3rd round of playoffs. 

First game went 10 innings with a squeeze bunt winning run for the opposing team. 

Second game wasn't really close as we didn't score any runs.  

Last game finished at midnight.  

Just a quick note here about your avatar. Why would you use someone elses likeness to identify with? You are no where near the type of person he is, I can assure that. You cant come up with anything better?

Knowing who he is (not the person he portrays), I find the use of his likeness quite insulting.

Playoffs start late up here, won school's first league title in a few years and now 

Made it to Section/Conference Semi's.

Son's team was outhit again in 1/4's vs a strong team.  

He had 2 (doubles) of team's 5 hits.

Big difference in fields around here (CF as short as 340 at some and corners 300 to big fields like ours and others with 405-425 in CF)

and home-field advantage is huge, we have one of the area's biggest fields and likely deepest backstop.

(most conference backstops here are pretty close to the ump (shallow)} 

Have scored multiple runs each game on wild pitches/passed balls, agile catcher key here and visitor's having tough adjustment. 

Although teams have more men on base they haven't run in 5 games as son has been on fire throwing kids out (leads state).

Ace throwing well, school's #2 has emerged and the 1st baseman has been channeling Keith Hernandez, scooping/picking everything.

Last few years were more talented but this group is a cohesive TEAM and it shows.

Fun to watch this run.

Very nice for senior year, hope they stay hot (& lucky) as next 2 teams are area powerhouses.

Originally Posted by TPM:
Originally Posted by lionbaseball:

Our season came to an end after losing the first 2 out of 3 games in the 3rd round of playoffs. 

First game went 10 innings with a squeeze bunt winning run for the opposing team. 

Second game wasn't really close as we didn't score any runs.  

Last game finished at midnight.  

Just a quick note here about your avatar. Why would you use someone elses likeness to identify with? You are no where near the type of person he is, I can assure that. You cant come up with anything better?

Knowing who he is (not the person he portrays), I find the use of his likeness quite insulting.

This serves me right for clicking on "You blocked this member.  Click to view post" 

I'll make sure to file your comment under "Don't give a crap". 

But Thank you.  I will wear that avatar with pride now!  

Last edited by lionbaseball

Our boys won the 4A State Championship this past week in Ft. Myers. Both games were very good, winning the semis 4-1 and the championship game 6-4. Our son DH'd in both games and was called upon in the 7th inning of the championship game to save it. In the last 7 games son went 8 for 14 with 2 HR's and 3 DBL's, needless to say he got hot at the right time. He couldn't have had a better senior season and blessed to move on with a championship. he says he's ready for the next challenge and we couldn't be more proud.

WOW, son caught a 13 inning semi-final.

0-0 entering 13th.

Pitchers duel and everything was a strike all day to boot.

had hit a couple of deep balls that were caught and a "foul homer" in regulation 7.

Singled in 11th however died on 3rd in best threat.

Opposing team scored in top of 13th on 3 errors.

Down 1-0

1 out bottom 13 for us, 8 & 9 hitters single with 1 out.

Son strokes two strike bullet line rocket hit to RF, wins game 2-1.

Gatorade bath by teammates.

Wow, what a game to watch!

Well, yesterday was the end of the line for my son's HS team, dropping a 2-1 decision in second round of states. The team had high expectations - nationally ranked by one national publication at season start, 12 straight wins to start, and a heavy senior balanced team. The bats went quiet the last few games as they squeaked by with a 3-2 win the day before. In post game huddle, coach told team that it was the first 20 win season in the school since the late 70's.

Trailing by a run my son was due up third in last inning. My wife thought worst case scenario (he could end season). Down 0-2 in count, son lines a curve ball over second into center field. Tying run at first I knew coach would hold him at first with power hitter up. Still drew several throws over to first. #3 hitter (4th in inning) works it full (which meant son would be flying on delivery). Flyout to center ends season.

Took to heart earlier posts on HSBBWEB and told son him how much I loved him and like watching him play. Upon arriving back home, I took time to look back at his career in HS.. finished season .434 and cumulative .396 BA; during his 4 years he played 6 positions(probably be 2B or CF in college); and stole 65 bags out of 68 attempts. Says after today's meeting and handing in uniforms he will have no more "affiliation to the school." (felt bummed about it)

Now it's onto Legion Ball (first game Monday!). Fortunately for me, I'll be able to watch him play in college- he'll be about a half hour away, and most of games within conference are weekends. So what's going to occupy my time in next few days since they lost, you ask?--grading all these geometry final exams!

Last night, Son's team won State Regional SemiFinal in a constant drenching downpour, Before monsoon started, hit 2nd pitch of game 1 bounce to centerfield fence for a long double then score only earned run of game, wet conditions caused many errors.

50 foot backstop- other catcher had trouble-6/7 passed balls leading to us advancing on bases,

while son blocked everything in bad wet conditions.

Only bad part was catchers mitt got so wet laces snapped. used old one today

Today on State Regional Championship- 0-0 til 5th, 2 outs -8 hitter single, 9 hitter an rbi line single, son rips 2 run double. 

Regional Champs!!

State finals next weekend......quite a ride.

- very exciting for the boys (& parents)

Last edited by Catcherdad

State Champions!!!

Son's team came back to beat a strong team Saturday morning in Semi's, after being down 2 runs to the #1 team in the state,

Son had 2 of team's 6 hits and they won.

Their opponent in state final had comeback with 2 outs/2 strikes, down 2 in the 7th to beat an upstate powerhouse in extra innings in their semi - they had a lot of grit.

Championship Game was close early however son's team pulled away.

Both pitchers pitched great.

He hosed his last HS runner to lead the state in runners thrown out.

In semi's & Finals, Had 2 2 out RBI line hits and reached base 6 of 8 times up.

It was unreal to watch the happiness of the team & the dog-pile.

What a way to end your HS career!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.