Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is still looking. He is a SR class2017.He is 6'1 135lbs. We live in OKlahoma

He is a RHP. Throws in high 70's to low 80's. Throws 2seem,fast ball, mean curve ball,sinker. He also plays IF but loves pitching first.

Have been to many showcases this year and last.

Has looked at some college but only has 1 scholarship offer

Would appreciate any HELP

Last edited by tinaj

Perhaps if you provide a little additional information than some folks can help in pointing you in the right direction.  One of you posts has your son at 6-1 135.  Perhaps what other pitches does he have?  More importantly, what schools are agreeable, whether geographically, academically, etc.?  The more information, the better you can then start putting together a target list.  No idea about OK, but JUCO route still has lots of opportunity for 2017 grads.

tinaj posted:

My son is still looking. He is a SR class2017.He is 6'1 135lbs. We live in OKlahoma

He is a RHP. Throws in high 70's to low 80's. Throws 2seem,fast ball, mean curve ball,sinker. He also plays IF but loves pitching first.

Welcome to the site...  

I agree with Screwball, more info would be helpful and it is certainly not too late for JC's or other D3, NAIA opportunities.  

In most areas, most JC's have a very local flavor and the coaching staff is familiar with the local talent.  Are there JC's in your immediate area?  Has your son had dialog with them?  Based on his weight, I assume he hasn't really physically matured yet.  Does he project to get much bigger or taller?  Has he played much travel ball?  Are there coaches who can advocate for him and/or steer him to a school that may be a good fit?  Same question applies to anyone who he has taken lessons with.  What are his career aspirations and how will that affect college options?  There is a saying that gets floated around here quite a bit... make the decision based on the next 40 years, not just the next four.

He is certainly not alone in dealing with a senior year scramble to find a good academic and baseball fit.  He will need to be great with time management, organization and commitment.  He will need to use resources.  Grades, continued skill development, strength training, school research and a targeted plan for getting in front of the right audience are all important.  He may need to have a good video in order to get a look from some that he may not otherwise be able to get in front of.  And maybe most important is that he doesn't forget to enjoy his senior year with school and baseball.

HS.Baseball.Scout posted:

I am a recruiting coordinator working within JUCO baseball in the South.  Looking for Class of 2016 unsigned baseball players.  RHP, LHP, OF.

cabbagedad posted:
tinaj posted:

Welcome to the site...  

I agree with Screwball, more info would be helpful and it is certainly not too late for JC's or other D3, NAIA opportunities.  

In most areas, most JC's have a very local flavor and the coaching staff is familiar with the local talent.  Are there JC's in your immediate area?  Has your son had dialog with them?  Based on his weight, I assume he hasn't really physically matured yet.  Does he project to get much bigger or taller?  Has he played much travel ball?  Are there coaches who can advocate for him and/or steer him to a school that may be a good fit?  Same question applies to anyone who he has taken lessons with.  What are his career aspirations and how will that affect college options?  There is a saying that gets floated around here quite a bit... make the decision based on the next 40 years, not just the next four.

He is certainly not alone in dealing with a senior year scramble to find a good academic and baseball fit.  He will need to be great with time management, organization and commitment.  He will need to use resources.  Grades, continued skill development, strength training, school research and a targeted plan for getting in front of the right audience are all important.  He may need to have a good video in order to get a look from some that he may not otherwise be able to get in front of.  And maybe most important is that he doesn't forget to enjoy his senior year with school and baseball.

No I think he's doing growing tall. He has been lifting wts. and building up but he's just a skinny boy. 

No he goes to a very small school and the coaches don't help their students much. He has asked the coaches about getting help to play ball but this is year 2 and know one helps. We have emailed coaches both at Jr. college and University. He has got to showcase for a couple of them. But a lot we have not heard from. He plays summer ball and has played all his HS years. Been to many showcases that are around Oklahoma.

His career goal is to be a MLB player, but if that fails he wants to coach HS or college baseball.

tinaj posted:
cabbagedad posted:
tinaj posted:

Welcome to the site...  

No I think he's doing growing tall. He has been lifting wts. and building up but he's just a skinny boy. 

No he goes to a very small school and the coaches don't help their students much. He has asked the coaches about getting help to play ball but this is year 2 and know one helps. We have emailed coaches both at Jr. college and University. He has got to showcase for a couple of them. But a lot we have not heard from. He plays summer ball and has played all his HS years. Been to many showcases that are around Oklahoma.

His career goal is to be a MLB player, but if that fails he wants to coach HS or college baseball.

OK, you mentioned earlier that he only has one scholarship offer.  He can only go to one school, right?  So one is enough if it is a school that is a fit.

Realistically, high 70's, low 80's from a 2017 RHP isn't going to solicit much immediate college attention (let alone MLB) and probably little or nothing from a baseball scholarship standpoint unless he has a lot of credible success against verifiable competition (i.e. - a good travel team).  Many questions still haven't been answered.  Good grades can warrant better college $$ than baseball scholy for most with those numbers.  Still don't know if he has those.  If he wants to continue pursuing the dream, trying to make it as a walk-on or preferred walk-on may prove to be the only option.  "Preferred" gives him a FAR better chance at making the roster than straight walk-on, which usually is against great odds.  So, it is important to get in contact directly with schools RC's and try to get in front of them.

So, there is a ton of information here on this site in regards to contacting schools and getting him seen (including having a good video, as I mentioned before).  You can search threads on any topic.  

I sense that you are hoping an RC (like the OP) will read your post and call you up.  It rarely works that way.  You (your son, really) will have to do the work, contact the schools and have something to show them that they may want, or at least give him a chance.  You will also have to be aware that many D3's and NAIA's that may fit from a playing level standpoint also have incentive to get as many players attend the school as possible, regardless of real interest in the particular player.  In reality, many will get "recruited" with academic $$ but are subject to fall cuts.  You will have to decipher real interest.  That can be done with a specific line of questioning but it cannot be done without them actually seeing your player.  

Lastly, he cannot let the many "no responses" discourage him.  That, too, is the norm.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Didn't want CABBAGEDAD's comments to passed over as advice to a single poster.  Those types of responses are what got me hooked on this site.  I am sure CABBAGE has done this before, but took the time to do it again and will probably keep on doing it as long as folks have questions.  THANKS for the time and continued effort!

TINAJ - Really good advice.  If you want, please provide a generic version of the offer your son currently has (no names, no specifics) and maybe outline what are the good points and bad points of that offer (again, make sure you avoid giving too many details - not really necessary).  Based on the likes/dislikes, that may shed some light on where you need to target on a go forward basis.

As CABBAGE mentioned, MLB would seem completely out of reach at that velocity unless he were to get into a good program a hit paydirt in his development (no telling what 30-40 lbs of muscle might do).  It could happen, but if it does it will be good fortune and not necessarily planning.  As such, his college choice needs to provide him an avenue to reach his other goals (coaching).

Thanks Screwball.

I meant to add to Tinaj regarding this statement...

"His career goal is to be a MLB player, but if that fails he wants to coach HS or college baseball."

I am not one to advocate telling a player he shouldn't/couldn't chase his dreams.  However, at some point, it makes sense to check the progress meter and adjust goals and dreams.  As a senior in HS, in addition to chasing the baseball dream, he should also have a backup or primary plan for his career.  How is he going to make a living?

Realistically, he is not on schedule to "make it" to MLB unless he really progresses with his velo and starts showing success against very good competition.  This is still possible but the meter is starting to indicate "much less likely".  

Another reality check - if he does not play and succeed at the college level, he is far less likely to be hired on as a paid coach at the college level.  HS coaching does not pay - very small stipend that doesn't pay the bills.  So if you are saying his primary career goal is MLB player and his fallback is HS or college coaching, you may have to present some reality to the career path and give consideration to other alternatives should the baseball career not pan out.

This is actually a thought process that even the best players who throw in the upper 90's must consider.  One injury can alter a player's career path.  Putting some serious thought into a viable, meaningful career outside of baseball playing and coaching is a worthwhile exercise, particularly when looking into colleges that you will be attending in eight months!

My son is 6'2 175 lb outfielder who runs a 4.7 second 60. He is 2017 Senior wanting to play Junior College preferably in Florida.  He is 3 year Varsity Starter currently batting .390 from the leadoff position. He is 3 year American Legion All star

Below are links that contain a scouting report from the Connecticut American Legion All  Star game. The second link is to my high school stats from my Junior season. 

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/CT/Justin-Miller-4813062957#tab2

Welcome to the site.  I'm not quite sure if you are dad or player - your post says "my son" but then says "my HS stats.."  Doesn't matter, your questions and contributions are welcome either way.

That said, I'm also not exactly sure what your question is.  If you are asking if it is feasible to play JC ball in Florida, all we have to go by is your numbers.  Video would help.  Based purely on the numbers, your speed, power and arm strength do not appear to stand out among college players, in fact are on the low side.  Florida is a hotbed of good players and there is a significant influx of players motivated to play JC ball there for a variety of reasons.  So, you will be up against a large pool of good players, most of whom will have better measurables than yours.  We also don't know what the level of competition is in your HS league.  Without some reference, your HS stats don't mean much.  Same applies to your Legion ball.  

There are other ways to stand out in this game.  You could barrel the ball consistently against good pitching, have a natural instinct for the game, etc.  Just keep in mind that you would have to excel in these areas more than the next serious ball player.  

Another challenge for you is how to get in front of the coaches.  Have you had any contact?  Shared any videos?  Played any travel ball down that way?  

If you are posting here thinking a college coach will see your inquiry and reach out to you, that's not likely going to happen.  This site is a great resource for information and can steer you to best recruiting plan steps but generally isn't a conduit directly to recruiting coaches.

Last edited by cabbagedad
Mark1450 posted:

My son is 6'2 175 lb outfielder who runs a 4.7 second 60. He is 2017 Senior wanting to play Junior College preferably in Florida.  He is 3 year Varsity Starter currently batting .390 from the leadoff position. He is 3 year American Legion All star

Below are links that contain a scouting report from the Connecticut American Legion All  Star game. The second link is to my high school stats from my Junior season. 

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/profiles/CT/Justin-Miller-4813062957#tab2

Since he is a 2017, it is pretty late in the process, but it is not too late.  At this point in the process, I would get video to as many JC coaches as I could.  Cabbage is right about Florida.  The competition will be stiff.  Get to as many showcases this summer as you can.  It only takes one good performance in front of the right guy to make it happen.  Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.