Skip to main content

To the last few comments thanks guys i like the other point of view, even If we don't agree. I know you would need to be in my sons and coaches shoes to fully see where something is wrong. During travel ball the catcher runs the infield and talks to the middle guys, who has the bag, talks to the pitcher about how to get the next guy out. So it did not seem uncommon. My sons arm speed is what it is. Is it great? no. Was his velo faster than others that catch, pitch, ss, and centerfield? Yes some. He was still able to throw kids out in travel on the same size fields 60-90. None of our catchers could throw anyone out at 2nd. My son was trying to make an adjustment. Did he end up with an attitude? Yes. Did he start with one? No? Was his attitude not wise? No it wasn't. He trys to help the pitchers and batters. They ask him for advice. They have not gone to other professional coaches so they have no clue what other methods or tips there are. They ask him how does he hit so hard. He uses his hips. My son did not earn his 2nd batting spot until the starting SS who went up to Varsity last week ask the coach on 3 different occasions in front of the dugout to please let my son have his spot sense he was hitting .125 and my son was hitting .500. The coach makes the team aware of these stats to the players. And has anounced that my son was leading the offense. I guess what I'm saying is HS Baseball sucks for my son and some others. Even our star players that play all the time have told their parents from the dugout that the coach is messing up. Please believe me my son has worked on his attitude and does not say those things to me in a ugly way, but the situation is draining him. And I know most people are thinking poor pitiful brat. He is not a bad kid and is mature for his age. He does not hang around the goofing off players only the ones who are trying to improve and not worried about making sniper rifles out of tape, bats, and Gatorade cups. Can we ever come together and say that an adult has a bad attitude and maybe wrong. I fit the bill sometimes how about you guys? I'm not always right, sometimes my kids are. My son studies baseball and he teaches me things and has deep conversations with his none HS coaches. Right now he can't wait to be done. He opted out of playing travel fall ball last year and did Soccer with his classmates on a select team. He had a blast and they won a championship. He had never played before and got a lot of playing time for his speed and he scored a handful of goals. It got his mind off of HS baseball. But I know he loves Baseball more and he say the same. Thanks

Some mentioned that nothing that i have mention before made my son stand out as a good pitcher. Fair enough. He had the fourth fastest velo on the freshman team last year. They told him that. I get thats not enough. The other kids were already 5'11"- 6'2" and he was 5'7" and he will never be 6 foot most likely. What he was taught by his pitching coach what seems to be good mechanics that he can repeat and pound the strike zone with a 4 seam, 2 seam, nasty changeup and a slider still improving on. We have 2 strong pitchers that get good results but throw a lot of pitches, 70 in 3 innings, and the other 3 can't find the strike zone and have walked 10 in 10 innings. When my son pitches in the scrimmages he has 3 up 3 down and 3-9 pitch innings against the varsity now and JV last year. Is he elite? No. Does he throw heat past you? No. Does he strike you out or make you hit ground balls middle to left side? Yes. Will he have a pitching career? Never, unless he can find 90+. He will get stronger, i just don't see 90 in his future. But I tell you what it sure would be fun for him to pitch now while he has something to give to pitching. He most likely want have the tools to go far after these last two years. Just saying.

BBDAD98 posted:

Last year my son was the backup catcher for a few games. He could not throw anyone out like he had been in travel ball so he asked the coach he the pitchers could deliver the pitch faster (not such a slow high leg lift) coach just looked at him. 

I'll say more later, but frankly this "killed" your son't chances.  If you're a catcher, it's your fault (even if it isn't).  Protect your pitchers.  Period.  End.  

Your right as a coach I worry about my pitches feelings over getting the runners out. SMH. Serously you are right, everything was his fault. The curve balls that went behind the batters back to the back stop, totally his fault. His catching coach at the club even told him it would be before the season started. My son was not ready for that much blame. Someone mentioned if my son took fielding practice. Last year i went to most practices sence they were an hour and a half and it was 30 minutes home. Last year he stood next to the coach and gave him balls as he hit them. He went to the OF once, no lie got one fly ball and dropped it, never a 2nd chance. He got 3 ground balls at SS and did a good job. They never practiced catchers, ever. The pitchers never threw a bullpen last year. We had 19 kids on the team, a couple POs and some kids were so bad they never played at all once they had a shot, but you could see at practice and tryouts they didn't have it. This year's fielding practice is much improved. He gets 5 ground balls in outfield and 5 fly balls as well. He has done well sense I have been hitting him fly balls on all of his off days, so that he stays good so he will not drop another in front of the coach.

BBDAD98 posted:

Your right as a coach I worry about my pitches feelings over getting the runners out. SMH. Serously you are right, everything was his fault. The curve balls that went behind the batters back to the back stop, totally his fault. His catching coach at the club even told him it would be before the season started. My son was not ready for that much blame. Someone mentioned if my son took fielding practice. Last year i went to most practices sence they were an hour and a half and it was 30 minutes home. Last year he stood next to the coach and gave him balls as he hit them. He went to the OF once, no lie got one fly ball and dropped it, never a 2nd chance. He got 3 ground balls at SS and did a good job. They never practiced catchers, ever. The pitchers never threw a bullpen last year. We had 19 kids on the team, a couple POs and some kids were so bad they never played at all once they had a shot, but you could see at practice and tryouts they didn't have it. This year's fielding practice is much improved. He gets 5 ground balls in outfield and 5 fly balls as well. He has done well sense I have been hitting him fly balls on all of his off days, so that he stays good so he will not drop another in front of the coach.

I'm not sure of your tone here, so I will reserve most of my comments until I reread it a few more times.

However, I can tell you that it's a bad idea to hang around practice. Really bad. If a parent is watching consistently, a few thoughts are going to go through a coach's mind, and none of them are good.

BBDAD98 posted:

You are right.  The HS is the problem.  I have never heard such horrible practices.  Have you considered transferring.  This program will cripple your son's ability and I can't believe the coaches haven't realized what they have.  I am sure the current center fielder is the son of a deep wallet that bought his way on to the field.  Your son will never get a fair shot.  Get out while you can....  

This is real. Sorry just being a little funny about the pitchers feelings, but lets coach the situation. Is it the catcher, then coach him, is it the pitcher then coach him. Practice was that bad. It has improved this year as stated. I lot of parents hang out for practice. Mainly your booster club, and officers of the dugout club parents. I did hang out the first year but got sick of it so I stay away this year. Last year it was so bad with parents gossiping they sent out an email to stop. I was not involved. I didn't know those parents. We just moved to town. Our Varsity coach later resigned due to issues with money. Its not about CF guys. Just trying to earn a shot at the field and enjoying playing. Thanks for the input and other view points. I can totally see the coach thinking the way you guys are thinking. They are true statements. Thanks

BBdad....I just spent 15 minutes reading this bunch of garbage (sorry, but that's how it comes off)....and I have two thoughts....again, sorry for being blunt, but someone has to say it.

1) I feel sorry for you and your son......you're delusional and probably ruining any chance he ever has to be a good baseball player....................or.................

2) You're making this up just to have some fun because it's freezing in most of the country and your game got cancelled today.

Unfortunately I'm leaning toward #1.  Trust me....I know a little about this.....watch this....go to 7 minutes in....

https://tornadomovies.to/serie...rGifSP-watching.html

The guy is from my hometown...I coached his kid in 6th and 7th grade (he was a year younger than my son and we brought him up to play with the older kids).   The guy never gave me any crap because I liked his kid and really had hopes that he would help our HS team.  Also, he knew I had some connections with good travel teams and hoped to get his kids into one of the better programs.    This video is a little overboard...even for him, but EVERYONE else in our town thought it was EXACTLY how this guy is.  It's a little crazy...and I can tell some of it was staged...but not nearly as much as you'd think. 

The kid had a lot of potential...but if I didn't know better, I'd think that his dad and BBdad are the same guy....he had the exact same thoughts toward coaches as BBdad does.  Guess what, the kid went backwards from 8th grade when I coached him until he got thru HS.  The dad wouldn't let the kid do anything the HS coach said...and he ended up actually being a below average HS player....when as a 6th grader, the kid was as good as anyone in our area.

BBdad....sorry for coming off harsh, but your son deserves better....if he goes into practices/games with the attitude you have, he'll be lucky to play next year...let alone be on varsity.  One last thing....you said "I have all of his stats from Gamechanger".....well, this guy brought a scorebook to games when his son was in 4th-8th grades...not so he could keep track of his son's stats...he kept track of all of the OTHER kids... so he had "proof" when he wanted to argue with coaches about why his son should be playing more.  Take that however you want to

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Thank you for your input sincerely. None of this is made up. I am not delusional, sorry. I know that would make you feel better. I found it hard to believe it was all happening as well. This is the best Baseball school around with a good academic record. People move here and find other loop holes just to come to this school. We have over 100 kids tryout for 55 spots. The other near by schools are lucky to fill 2 teams, we have 3. The talent here is so much better than the other 2 that we nearly run rule them every time we play. Those schools are playing at a rec level were as this team might be AA travel. With of course a mixture of very talented will play college to why did that person make the team. I have not spoken to the coach because it would never end well. Even if I got the coach to play him, my son might have a off day and then the coach would have a good reason. Or he would hold a gruge and never play him for spite. Is my son a super star? No. But he is out hitting their studs that THEY compare him to. He can make the throw from RF to 3rd or home on a line and the others do not. Their are tools to baseball that they look for and my son does a good job of using them. He was always the smaller kid on teams fighting for playing time. What he did have and still has is speed and a great work ethic. He worked on his mechanics in throwing, hitting, and cathing to make up the size disadvantage. It turned into him hitting as many homeruns as the big kids with the jacked up swings and throwing as hard as the kids hurting their arm throwing the same speed. He ended up being one of the biggest kids his 11u and 12u season because of a growth spurt. He is now small again and just as capable of out playing the larger guys who have no training. He is ready to play now. Those guys should wait and practice hard. My son has worked hard and doesn't want to wait while the other guys get better or not. Does that make sense? He had to wait and get better now its the opposite. I know life is not fair, work harder and show the coach without a doubt and if he still don't play you then you learned a life leason that sometimes your boss sucks. I have repeated these things, but it does not make it easier to swallow for him or me. He has risen above little playing time before. Being the best on the team and never played more than half of the innings he move to the cross town rival travel team and earn a spot in RF batting leadoff after the first tournament. Played amazing all year and help beat his old team. His old coach asked him to come back after his season and he did and started CF batting leadoff the whole next year if he wasn't pitching or catching. Why did it take all that to see that you should play someone? I know lifes not fair, work hard, see it all works out in the end yada yada. Thanks again for your opinions. I like venting it makes me feel better.

Wait....your last post didn't help....at all.   You are now saying your son is at "one of the best baseball schools around".....and you're still complaining that he's playing JV as a freshman?   Here in Ohio....at the "best baseball school around"....the best of the best freshmen.....play on the freshmen team....and are happy to do so.  I guess a couple things from your first post.  At my son's HS...that isn't nearly the "best baseball school around"....72 mph on the mound doesn't cut it...even in JV.  My son was throwing that hard in 7th grade....when he was 5' and 100 lbs.  He was mid-upper 70's as a freshman...and pitched on JV (no freshman team).  You said yourself that "he can't throw kids out".  So if he isn't throwing fast enough to pitch and can't play catcher, I guess at some point maybe you should just be HAPPY that he's playing JV at all.    I'm not going to go any further.  You've gotten a lot of replies here....from a lot of guys who have been thru it....my son is a D1 pitcher now.....and your last post makes it seem like we have just completely wasted our time.  Stop talking about 11U & 12U....those years are completely meaningless.  Stop talking about travel ball....it's meaningless too.  All that matters is what your HS coach thinks, sees and hears.   He is in charge....everyone here at some point has thought their kid was getting a raw deal from a coach....heck, I thought that when my son was a freshman in college.   Your son is 14 year old HS freshman.....you're going to give yourself a heart attack if you keep going the way you are.

RJM posted:

From his profile ...

“I have been coaching for 11 years, 4 different sports”

Doesn’t sound like a coach to me in his posts. We’re getting spoofed.

Lol, I'm kind of thinking the same thing.  A couple things I missed....he's talking about teams being rec ball and some AA.  We don't have USSSA here in Ohio anymore....but when we did, the teams playing AA were local teams who couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag lol.  He says "this team may be AA travel".  I'm not sure how you say "one of the best baseball schools around" then say the same team is like a AA travel team??   Either way, I'm done with this....I'm feeling like we're being set up for some kind of reality show 

Last edited by Buckeye 2015

Look he was happy to make JV. With coach not liking him he was ready for freshman team. No problem. He made the freshman team last year was happy, until the problems with the coaches sending up the wrong kids to JV and bringing them back down and taking more playing time from him. He sees and some others see that he is at those kids level. These are his team mates saying you'll be on JV or Varsity soon. The kids that get the playing time and don't do well see that. They want to play with him and not see him on the bench or just hitting. One was willing to trade spots in the line-up. They played two POs in the outfield and not him. I was happy that the POs were able to play, poor guys can't hit, but they got their chance to bat also. The travel ball stuff is just the back story of how he made the HS team sorry. He plays well in HS, I am very proud of what he has accomplished this season and last. Yes he has an average arm but we have very few good arms and a lot of average or below arms on the team. I didn't say we are a baseball powerhouse that has won championships. So we dont have a bunch of flame throwers. We had 3 freshman throwing as hard or harder than the varsity players. People were seriously worried that freshmen players would start over there kid on varsity. But guess what arm strength isn't eveything, you got to hit the strike zone and bat the ball. They weren't ready for that so they move back down. Again my son wants to play, doesn't matter if its freshman or JV he wasnts to be the best on whatever team he is own and he wants to play in the field. If they are handing out rewards for good playing of course he wants that to. Who wouldn't? Instead you watch the coach make a decision that you don't agree with and then watch the coach have to admit he was wrong and drop them back down. They have done this to the same 3 kids two years in a row. Whats the definition of insanity?

Look, your kid has an attitude problem, showed up his coach, and is now paying the price.  If I was his Coach he'd never even play this season.  He needs to grow up.  It doesn't matter if he's the next Mickey Mantle, he shouldn't have pointed fingers at his teammates and showed up his coach.  Now he's going to have to wait longer to play more.  From what you've told us, he deserves to wait more.  

We have the weakest schedule in our region. We are good compared to our suroundings. Yes AA travel is not very good. My son and 2 of his team mates played major ball in a different town that has more talent. They were not on the same teams, but the teams were good. This town does not travel. Maybe one kid here are there. We moved to this town. We were in a much better baseball town. This town does not even have a baseball batting cage or club facility. Nothing wrong with that they just stick to rec and allstar ball.

I'm so confused....watching basketball and paying attention to this is giving me a migraine.   How can you be "one of the best baseball schools around"....where kids move there to play baseball....but "we're not a baseball powerhouse".   You are in GA.....my son played in the 14U WWBA at East Cobb.  We were a pretty good team from "up north"....14U is heading into freshman year.... so the same level as your son is now.  We thought we were good....but we showed up in GA and got destroyed.   We weren't playing East Cobb teams....or the Roadrunners, we were playing teams that by GA standards were "average".  Your "average" down there is very, very good.  Those same "average" 14U travel kids are all fighting for spots on HS teams the following spring.....with kids who played for East Cobb or the Roadrunners or other top level 14U teams.  Those are the kids that make Varsity as freshmen.   Did your son play for East Cobb?   Did he play on a travel team in tourneys that played at that level?   Did his team play in the WWBA?   If so how did he hit against the pitching he saw there?     If he's not playing summer  on teams that are that level, to think that he steps into a GA HS and makes varsity as a freshman is kinda crazy in my mind.  

Buckeye 2015 posted:
RJM posted:

From his profile ...

“I have been coaching for 11 years, 4 different sports”

Doesn’t sound like a coach to me in his posts. We’re getting spoofed.

Lol, I'm kind of thinking the same thing.  A couple things I missed....he's talking about teams being rec ball and some AA.  We don't have USSSA here in Ohio anymore....but when we did, the teams playing AA were local teams who couldn't hit their way out of a paper bag lol.  He says "this team may be AA travel".  I'm not sure how you say "one of the best baseball schools around" then say the same team is like a AA travel team??   Either way, I'm done with this....I'm feeling like we're being set up for some kind of reality show 

We’re going to end up on Lavar Ball’s reality show.

3and2fastball, fair enough your ego would be hurt so you wouldn't field the best 9. I hear ya. The other kids are talking behind your back but someone has the guts to ask hey why don't we do this or that and their the problem. Fair enough, at least you admit to it. I like your honesty. I can handle honesty. This coach has been dishonest and most people can't and want see it.

BBDAD98 posted:

3and2fastball, fair enough your ego would be hurt so you wouldn't field the best 9. I hear ya. The other kids are talking behind your back but someone has the guts to ask hey why don't we do this or that and their the problem. Fair enough, at least you admit to it. I like your honesty. I can handle honesty. This coach has been dishonest and most people can't and want see it.

The freshman and JV teams are about molding players for varsity. No one outside the players and their parents care if the freshman or JV teams wins or loses.  Player development is part of the molding. So is having the right attitude. I’m with 3and2.

My son was the best player on the JV team when he was a freshman. Two other kids were promoted to varsity over my son. My son knew why. He never made the mistake again. 

The decision may have prevented a 6-16 varsity team from winning a game or two more. But the lesson learned helped him be a valuable player on a 15-7 varsity team the following year and a team leader the next two years.

Last edited by RJM

Buckeye i am trying to tell you these freshman and some sophomore guys my son plays with would not make the major travel teams. They are rec allstar players except for the few that did travel from a different town. I am not stating that my son should be on varsity, i am stating how crazy it is to move them up and not take him as well. None should be going up. They are not ready. If they happen to see a reason to not play my son on JV then he said he would rather be on freshman instead of dealing with this BS. The last time he played at east cobb we played 4 east cobb teams and lost to the titans and beat the other 3 last year. When he was 13. He had 9 AB with four hits, 1 single, 1 double, and 2 hr batting leadoff, 5 rbi, 3 runs, 2 walks, 2 ks, and 2 stolen bases. We beat the other teams pretty easy and lost to the titans by 1 point extra innings. He has committed to a team that invited him to play up at the 15u level, but looking at their schedule they will play in 16u wood bat tournaments and will travel as far as Lakeland FL. He tried out and made an Eastcobb 14u which would have been extremely hard for us to travel that far but they were considered their 2nd best team eastcobb offered and after the best team and 2nd team lost some players they reorganized and he was out. Thats what I was told. It all sounded strange but he moved on and made two other major teams and when he was choosing which one the 15u team coach slash owner called. My son has wanted to play for him. So he looks forward to earning that spot were he knows the talent is good and he will need to bring his A game. We have talked about this and he accepts the challenge to play with a good team. I love it that you guys don't believe me. I can't make this stuff up. Whether you like me or not or think my kid can play doesn't matter to me, because this is for real.

It has nothing to do with Coach's ego.  A coach needs the players to show respect to each other and to the coach, otherwise everything falls apart.  

To raise a kid to believe that they are entitled to break that very basic protocol of respecting a coach and not throwing their teammates under the bus is just flat out bad parenting, and as already mentioned by someone else, could jeopardize their career.

Yes, I am judging you.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball

Sorry. But it is called holding someone accountable. He did not attack anyone. He wanted to know about the signs and who had the bag and high long leg lifts as a pitcher and so forth. He was on more than one team that held each other accountable. It was not mean it was do your job, if you don't know how someone will help you. He was told not to yell anything from behind the plate anymore. Guess what all of the catchers do this year, hold each other accountable and yell stuff. He was told to stop cheering, so he did, this year coach wants everyone in the game cheering. This year someone missed a sign and stole and got out. They ran poles for their error. So it is about ego the coach knew he was right. My son has had many coaches from Soccer, football, track, baseball, and basketball and i have heard many praise him for his leadership and super competitiveness. Football coaches have loved the way he leads as QB and middle line backer in middle school. I get it he is not for everyone, fine don't hold him down and make him miserable. He is a good kid, and I try to help him navigate his teenage testosterone anger and he does good. Is social security an entitlement or is it some thing you worked for? He is not entitled he wants to earn it at a reasonable price. He just wants to hit and play the field. Coach said if you hit you can play. Some batting .100 still starting. He is not looking to be on any team that doesn't want him to play. If he has to move down he would. The coaches send mix signals about what it takes to get playing time or move up. Thats what it boils down to. They don't like some kids for differnent reasons. Some kids can improve, my son will most likely not improve the coach liking him. You can't make someone like you. You just can't.

StrainedOblique posted:

The simple answer to the playing time riddle is that Coaches play kids that they believe can help them win. Period. This applies not only at the HS level but also college .

That being said , if a kid in fact believes he can help his team win and the Coach sees it differently , the player ( never the parent ) needs to speak to the coach . He needs to be direct and ask the Coach what it's gonna take for him to play or move up to Varsity in this case. At this point most coaches are pretty straight forward in explaining to a player what he needs to do or what the coach needs from him to advance .

It's pretty simple. But most HS kids are afraid to approach the coach. That is sort of a developmental thing at that age. But if he's truly unhappy or unclear about his role or future he needs to start there.

Don't let your son or yourself get caught up in the age old excuse of 'The Coach just doesn't like me' . That is a mistake and will just cloud your judgment . Because it's irrelevant. Remember , HS Coaches play the kids that can help them win. Period. They have 16-21 guys on Varsity , of those 16-21 guys , sure there may be a couple kids he likes personally more than others and occasionally a dislike and more often than not indifference towards some players, but it will rarely change how he makes out his line up card.

A bad student, bad attitude jerk that touches 88-90 mph will pitch at the HS level regardless of the coaches personal opinion of him. Don't forget that.

Have your son talk to the coach about what it's gonna take to advance in the program. After the meeting sit down with your son and put together a plan to accomplish those goals. Then have him go back to the coach once your son has improved in those areas and Hold the coach to his word.

Strained, I might have to respectfully disagree on the jerk statement. A very talented kid who was on Varsity last year as a Freshman didn’t make our Varsity team this year because he didn’t show up for early morning workouts and told everyone he didn’t have to because he was their best (position). The coach didn’t buy it. He’s sitting on the sophomore team. Not all coaches will tolerate jerkiness.

Wow so much, so little time.  Add me to the group that thinks this is fake.  But let's play along.  I am generally very hard on coaches -- I expect the best from them.  And I certainly see issues here.  In fact, in many ways the OP could be describing my kid's HS team -- pitchers slow to the plate, bad mechanics, low baseball IQ, little accountability.  In our case, much was due to being severely understaffed.  

But the kid in question sounds the a real "treat."  And the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree.  It's not the kid's job to hold anyone accountable but himself.  It's about picking up your teammates and covering for their mistakes.  Pitcher gives up a walk -- that's ok, we'll turn two.  SS boots a ball -- we'll get the next one.  Pitcher throws WP that gets to the backstop -- catcher stands up and let's everyone know that "on me."  Kid strikes out with bases loaded -- no problem, next kid is going to hit a double.  Little Johnny has to run poles because he didn't get the bunt down -- we all run poles.  You just booted your 4th ball of the game -- SS comes over and gives you a hug. 

Last edited by Golfman25
CaCO3Girl posted:
TPM posted:

Freshman, 2 seam, 4 seam, changeup and a SLIDER.

HMMMM...You guys got trolled on. 

Not agreeing with the poster but my son threw a slider at 14.  His arm slot didn’t allow for a curve, only a slider.

Most younger players throw whats called a slurve. Combo of a curve and a slider. Most pitchers throw either or. But if someone is teaching a young HS player a true slider, the parent needs to reevaluate their sons situation.

BBDAD98 posted:

Whats so hard about a slider? Curve grip fastball arm motion. Look up Lance Wheeler. See which pitch Jesus wants you to throw. Curve or Slider? The video might be locked. But it explains how to pick and how to throw it. We have 2 leftys on JV throwing sliders now.

Once again, if someone is teaching a developing teen a slider the parent needs to reevaluate their sons situation. You know it took son almost 2 years to throw a true slider and that was in pro ball. His off speed in HS was his 2 seamer and change up, which you claim was both used. Used to be the go to pitch in college, one after another but things have changed its not a good pitch.

Are you a pitching coach. If so what are your credentials?

Chico Escuela posted:

I don't think anybody has pitching-related injuries completely figured out, but I do think ASMI and Dr. Andrews are as good anybody (and better than most).  And they definitely say sliders aren't for younger kids: 

http://www.andrewsinstitute.co...Prevention/Baseball/

http://m.mlb.com/pitchsmart/risk-factors/

Do folks here have a different take?

My son was taught to throw a curve, due to his arm slot it became a slider.

As to different takes, yup.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/201...g-pitching-arms.html

http://amp.si.com/edge/2016/06...-baseball-prevention

Also, Dr. Andrews says don’t throw until you can shave.  My son was shaving by then, so it’s in line with Dr. Andrews thinking as well.

Last edited by CaCO3Girl
CaCO3Girl posted:

My son was taught to throw a curve, due to his arm slot it became a slider.

As to different takes, yup.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/201...g-pitching-arms.html

http://amp.si.com/edge/2016/06...-baseball-prevention

Also, Dr. Andrews says don’t throw until you can shave.  My son was shaving by then, so it’s in line with Dr. Andrews thinking as well.

I have seen those links before, but thanks.  They deal with curve balls though, not sliders.  ASMI says kids can learn curves earlier; sliders should come later.

TPM posted:
BBDAD98 posted:

Whats so hard about a slider? Curve grip fastball arm motion. Look up Lance Wheeler. See which pitch Jesus wants you to throw. Curve or Slider? The video might be locked. But it explains how to pick and how to throw it. We have 2 leftys on JV throwing sliders now.

Once again, if someone is teaching a developing teen a slider the parent needs to reevaluate their sons situation. You know it took son almost 2 years to throw a true slider and that was in pro ball. His off speed in HS was his 2 seamer and change up, which you claim was both used. Used to be the go to pitch in college, one after another but things have changed its not a good pitch.

Are you a pitching coach. If so what are your credentials?

I taught my pitchers to throw a cut fastball instead of the slider.  I just was uncomfortable teaching a "real slider" and I have coached for a few years.  

BBDAD98, I'll play along.  You say your son is a freshman and yet, you are complaining about playing time.  Wow.  Instead of that, consistent support would go a lot further in his development.  Complaining about a coach and or supporting his complaints about a coach will serve no positive purpose.  I'll tell you about a player I once  coached.  This was supposed to be our next superstar.  How do I know that?  Dad did gave his best effort to tell me even though I told him I didn't want to talk to him.  Like you, he knew ever stat.  He played absolutely terrible competition.  When put up against those who actually did play tough competition, he was in the lower tier.  Still, he was a "super star."  When I attempted to coach him, he has his own expert.  So, he gave the complimentary nod and did what he wanted.  Of course it irritated me.  Of course, he started out 0-18.  So, the fault was ........... mine according to dad.  Needless to say, he never got a chance to go 0 - 19.  There is a small lesson in that story if you want to glean it.  

CoachB25, thanks for your reply.  My freshman on varsity was starting to complain about hitting 9th.  Pretty much all seniors on his team except for him.  HS baseball much more complicated than travel ball.  After the last game, he was very frustrated, so we hit in the cage for over an hour.  Talked about hitting more and complaining less.  I am fairly new here, but am enjoying all of your opinions so far, and will try to contribute from what I see here in Southern California HS and travel ball.

billsfanla posted:

CoachB25, thanks for your reply.  My freshman on varsity was starting to complain about hitting 9th.  Pretty much all seniors on his team except for him.  HS baseball much more complicated than travel ball.  After the last game, he was very frustrated, so we hit in the cage for over an hour.  Talked about hitting more and complaining less.  I am fairly new here, but am enjoying all of your opinions so far, and will try to contribute from what I see here in Southern California HS and travel ball.

It’s funny looking back after it’s all done and worked out (son is turning 25) the little things are forgotten until someone posts something that sparks a memory. 

My son was the only opening day soph starter in a large high school. He batted last. He finished second on the team in hitting and stolen bases. But he never moved out of the nine hole. I just figured it was because he was the young player. After the last game of a successful season (team went from 6-16 to 15-7) the coach told him he expected him to lead and star starting next year. 

If a player does the right things and dad minds his own business it all works out.

Last edited by RJM
baseballhs posted:

What about when the coach decides that your sophomore is a PO even though he doesn't want to be  and doesn't need to be?  I could maybe live with it if he still let him take reps but he won't even let him do that.  He is not a PO for summer but if he never gets reps during the year he won't be ready.  Trying to be respectful but its getting tough.

Reps are too limited in HS. That's stuff he'll need to do on his own to keep sharp. 

Son is a  talented defensive player who can play any position but C. In his pre season meeting with the HC, he is asked his least favorite position. Son says, " I'll play anywhere, coach." Coach asks again. "Wherever you want me to play, coach." Coach demands to know where he really would prefer not to play. Son says LF.

First game of the season, guess where he is playing. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.