Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Complete stud. Seeing him in person last year reminded me of the firs time I saw Bryce Harper in person - couldn't help but think that "if this guy stays healthy, he's odds on to be a HOF'er." Watching him hit 8 straight out of Petco in the HR Derby - most in the upper deck of left field - was eye-opening. Then when he took the mound and his first pitch was 97...

This is what happens when you have a driven kid, athleticism, parents who have the resources to channel that drive to the best private coaches and trainers and keep him in front of the media. To me he seems more "made" than a natural phenom that was discovered. He has put up impressive numbers in showcases, but will it transfer into real games at a high level?

Last edited by 2016Dad
2016Dad posted:

This is what happens when you have a driven kid, athleticism, parents who have the resources to channel that drive to the best private coaches and trainers and keep him in front of the media. To me he seems more "made" than a natural phenom that was discovered. He has put up impressive numbers in showcases, but will it transfer into real games at a high level?

Good question.  It will be fun to watch play out.  It is more than unfair to compare Hunter to Bryce Harper.  Harper was doing absolutely absurd things (hitting 450+ foot HR's off of college pitchers at the age of 16/17 for instance) when he was still very raw and completely unpolished.

Players like Harper & Trout are like Mantle & Mays, i.e. once in a generation type talents who are way above the talent pool.

I haven't seen enough of Hunter to comment on where he is at talent wise.   I would suspect that since he's throwing 102, any team that drafts him is going to make him a pitcher only

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
3and2Fastball posted:
2016Dad posted:

Good question.  It will be fun to watch play out.  It is more than unfair to compare Hunter to Bryce Harper.  Harper was doing absolutely absurd things (hitting 450+ foot HR's off of college pitchers at the age of 16/17 for instance) when he was still very raw and completely unpolished.

Players like Harper & Trout are like Mantle & Mays, i.e. once in a generation type talents who are way above the talent pool.

I haven't seen enough of Hunter to comment on where he is at talent wise.   I would suspect that since he's throwing 102, any team that drafts him is going to make him a pitcher only

No, it's a fair comparison. By the way, when Harper was 16/17, he was anything but "raw." The kid was developed and ready to go by then. HG is one of those guys. I hate the "once in a generation" tag. I mean, even you list Mantle & Mays. Since they were contemporaries, it's hard to say they were once in a generation. 

We can agree to disagree.  I saw Harper play alot at 16/17 and have seen a ton of video on him.   He was not the polished athlete mechanically that he became in his rookie year of MLB and even more so now.   From the limited amount I've seen of Greene he looks more polished mechanically than Harper at the same age but less pure explosive athleticism.  It is possible that nobody in history (including Babe Ruth) had as much explosive athleticism at age 16/17 as Harper.  I just think the comparison is really unfair to Hunter, and sets up unfair expectations

I will be really really suprised if Greene is ever anywhere near Harper/Trout offensively, and again I think it is unfair to compare him that way.  I could see him really developing as a pitcher.  But again I haven't seen enough of Greene to know for sure.  

Admittedly the only info I have to base an opinion on is what I have read & the video material on PG.  Never seen him in person. When I look at the swing on PG it does not appear to be even in the zip code of a Harper or even Clint Frazier's explosiveness at that age. Also, curious to note that there is no posted 60 time or mention of it anywhere that I can find. He is probably below average there. I see a toe plate in the immediate future. Kid clearly has a special arm & makeup. 

He is very special.  IMO he would be an early pick as a player and the first pick as a pitcher.

Could still be the first pick as a shortstop because of the fall back plan.  You always look for the unusual stuff when talking about the very best.  Harper, Upton, Trout, all showed very unusual things.  Hunter Green is very unusual.  That doesn't guarantee gigantic success.

2016Dad posted:

Can you elaborate on him being "made?" 

PGStaff posted:

He is very special.  IMO he would be an early pick as a player and the first pick as a pitcher.

Could still be the first pick as a shortstop because of the fall back plan.  You always look for the unusual stuff when talking about the very best.  Harper, Upton, Trout, all showed very unusual things.  Hunter Green is very unusual.  That doesn't guarantee gigantic success.

IMO, whoever drafts him will draft him as a pitcher. 

hshuler posted:
2016Dad posted:

Yeah, cause I wanna make me one, too.

roothog66 posted:
hshuler posted:
2016Dad posted:

Yeah, cause I wanna make me one, too.

Great minds, Root - great minds!

keewart posted:

Hunter is shut down from pitching for the rest of the season (except bull pens)....

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/...down-from-the-mound/

Purely out of keeping his arm healthy though.  He isn't injured.  Smart move I think.

Edited to comment on this quote from the article:

"It's a little disappointing," one scouting director said. "We work in the ultimate team sport. How did the other kids on his team react?

"We've not seen anyone do this before, so I guess the word we would use is surprised. I think most of baseball would have liked to see him continue to pitch. What does this mean for the team that takes him? It will take them quite a while to get him ready to pitch. It's very unusual, that's for sure."

Get used to it.  Kid is throwing triple digits and looking at a multi-million dollar signing bonus in an era where Tommy John is an epidemic.   You might not have seen it before, but I bet you will see it again & again moving forward.  I strongly approve of the decision.

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
3and2Fastball posted:
2016Dad posted:

Almost all the prospect guys see him as a PO.  He has great raw power too and reportedly good actions at SS but I read his speed is only average (likely not enough for pro level shortstop) and there is some swing an miss.

He would still be a good hitting prospect but in pitching he basically is a Strasburg kind of prospect so the decision is kind of easy for most teams. I also read some reports that like the bat but most like the arm more.

hshuler posted:
2016Dad posted:

When I think of someone being "made", I think of Todd Marinovich.

Last edited by Goin_yard
Goin_yard posted:
hshuler posted:
2016Dad posted:

I have to admit that I had the exact same thought. 

Goin_yard posted:
hshuler posted:
2016Dad posted:

Some kids these days are going through a much more intense training regimen than Marinovich did.  They have strict diet and supplements plans, with weight lifting and speed/agility work.  If you threw in some heavy bag and pads they'd be training like an MMA fighter.  Every part of their training is geared towards maximizing their potential.  Hunter's been doing velocity work with Alan Jaegar since he was 7.  Potential is the key.  Reaching that before you turn 18, like Hunter and Harper, that's more than just being a phenom.   No doubt HG goes #1.  He's already expressed interest in being drafted and claims money is not an issue for him.  

Money is not an issue for me either...but I would take first draft pick money to skip college! lol

This kid is gifted with the ability to throw the baseball and hit bombs....I hope he continues to work on his game....baseball needs guys like this on the front page of SI to help spark interest. This can only be a good thing if he speeds thru to the Majors before the general public forgets his name like Strasburg and Harper. Nats pushed them into the Bigs fast and it has paid off. The team has used them in promotions and their talents have helped propel the Nationals into the playoffs several times.

Some kids demand that money, as a status symbol or because their agent said so. In 2000, HS RHP Matt Harrington (whos parents could barely afford to pay the electric bill) wanted a $4.95 million bonus as the 7th pick (the #1 pick got $3m). The Rockies made him 5-6 offers over $3m and he turned them all down, including a package worth $5.3m.  He got drafted 3 more times and refused to sign each time due to money, while getting shelled year after year in indy ball.  Eventually signed a FA contract for pennies and was told to pack his bags after spring training.  

Last edited by hsbaseball101

Speaking of Matt Harrington... we often hear people say that if you're good enough they will find you.

Well Matt Harrington's HS team had another pitcher on the same team.  He wasn't drafted and we never even heard of him until he surfaced after HS.  Apparently the scouts flocked in to watch Harrington pitch, but left without seeing this kid throw. Harrington never pitched in the Big Leagues but his HS teammate (Dana Eveland) did for 11 years.  Hear is one of the more surprising things we ever saw at a showcase. Read the report.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Pl...ofile.aspx?ID=112447

Most players who reach higher levels of baseball are doing many things to excel including personal trainers, hitting, pitching coaches etc. Even with all that you have to have several other things. Talent, athleticism( everyone is more athletic higher up u get) natural athleticism is important and there are many that it just is there, work ethic, mental make up and luck. We see many first rounders never make it. Its competitive. 

When my son played in the minors he told me many times how good many of these guys are and many of those arent playing anymore. 

This player looks exciting to watch  I love seeing these type of players develop and see what happens.

2016Dad posted:

Made?........kid throws 102 mph on the right side. That's not 'Made' w/ media hype or by a baseball dad

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I understand the point you're trying to make , but in my opinion its a bit insulting to the player.

Let me clearly point out that if you throw 102 mph in a one horse town in Montana.....THEY will find you . That IS a natural phenom and the player WILL be discovered

Pro ball doesn't mess around. And when MLB scouts from 30 teams along w/ GM's and AGM's from these teams  project a kid at the number #1 slot in the draft......Media hype or the kids dad have absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited by StrainedOblique

I see the formula as something along these lines. First, there obviously are genetic gifts relating to size & fast twitch muscle %. A TON of people are born with these gifts, few are ever heard from. You add dedicated & solid parenting, nutrition, proper coaching, top level speed, strength & conditioning instruction, pro level pitching, hitting & fielding instruction.

Then you must have the mental makeup at a young age to engage in the effort & time necessary to do these extra actions, in addition to what all the others do with regular games & practice. Then, possibly, with some luck & avoiding injury, do you have someone like this who can throw it 102 before turning 18. To call him a "natural" or something along those lines is to completely ignore the facts. The work & determination of this kid to go above & beyond what others are willing to do & have parents & a support system that can afford to sacrifice the $$ & time to make that happen are the difference. 

You guys are tough.  A 17yr old that has broke the 100mph mark!  Not a phenom???  Not a natural?  Made???  Coached??  Groomed???

How can you NOT put this kid into the phenom bucket?  

"A TON of people born with these gifts."  MAYBE, lets do the math.  1 ton = 2000 lbs average weight of 20-29 yr old male is 168 lbs.  2000/168 = 12    

Let's say 12 boys a year are born with these gifts.  About 65,000,000 a year are born 12/65,000,000= .0000184615% 

That seems about right.  12 boys a year are born with the gift to be able to throw over 100 mph.  About a TON in weight as adult men.  =-)

He is a "phenom," no doubt. "Phenom: a person who is outstandingly talented or admired. Especially an up and comer." If you remove the parents, Coaching & support and the kids desire and will, you would never have heard his name. He would be the big, raw kid throwing 88 in HS.

In addition. 6'4" & athletically gifted in HS is not all that uncommon. You are suggesting that the arm was a magical gift from heaven. I disagree. It was there to be cultivated as are many that go uncultivated. The circumstances aligned for him & he has taken full advantage, to his great credit.

Steve A. posted:

He is a "phenom," no doubt. "Phenom: a person who is outstandingly talented or admired. Especially an up and comer." If you remove the parents, Coaching & support and the kids desire and will, you would never have heard his name. He would be the big, raw kid throwing 88 in HS.

In addition. 6'4" & athletically gifted in HS is not all that uncommon. You are suggesting that the arm was a magical gift from heaven. I disagree. It was there to be cultivated as are many that go uncultivated. The circumstances aligned for him & he has taken full advantage, to his great credit.

This is incorrect. Pitching lessons by the best guys available might give you maybe a 3-4 mph jump...maybe . More like 2 mph. A stride adjustment . Maybe some weighted balls , Long toss. But you do not throw 102 from coaching ......That notion is absolutely incorrect.

Last edited by StrainedOblique

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.