Skip to main content

How do you all do your in and out before a game?  I know the outfield routine it is when I get to infield I want my infielders to get more balls.  We go home (1), then first(2), double play(2), then home(1) with a slow roller(1).  This only gets them 7 balls a piece but want around 10ish.  Any other ideas.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let me ask you this - are you trying to get them loose and prepared or trying to have practice before a game?  Why do you want 10 balls and why isn't 7 enough?  Do the outfielders get 7 - 10 each?  How long does the whole routine take?

Not trying to be a jerk and end of the day I can't control what other teams do but it ticks me off to no end to watch a team have a 20 minute IF / OF routine where every player gets what seems like 500 reps each.  Then if he messes up they do it again, and again, and again because their 4th string 2B should have been cut. My philosophy is (not saying this should be yours) but I spent hours in practice and work outs teaching them how to field and throw and where to go.  All infields have the same set up / dimensions.  Get the job done in 10 - 12 minutes.

I've done many different things with IF / OF because I like to change year to year but this is probably my favorite.

OF - 1 throw to 2B from ground ball

OF - 2 throws to 3B from GB and FB

OF - 2 throws to home from GB and FB

OF - 1 throw tandem / double cut to gaps

(while I'm hitting to IF I'll have another coach hitting GB / FB to OF in CF from the side - they work on as much as they can like side to side, work back, work in, two up at once to work communication)

IF - play in 1 throw home - catcher turns double play to 1B

IF - normal depth 1 throw to 1B

IF - deep 1 throw to 1B

IF - normal depth 1 double play - my MIF get two balls - 1 working away from bag and 1 towards the bag for a flip

IF - normal depth 1 to 1B with cover up to receiver from catcher 

IF - play in 1 throw to 1B but check runner at 3B

IF - normal depth 1 slow roller to 1B and go back to bags

C - bunt 1 throw inside line

C - blocked third strike 1 throw outside the line (I don't have them actually block.  they get on knees and I drop the ball in the circle)

C - bunt in front 1 throw to 2B

C - bunt in front 1 throw to 3B

C - throw out 1 throw to 2B on steal

C - throw out 1 throw to 3B on steal

Get off the field

We fly through this too.  As soon as I hit one ball the second guy better be ready.  Once I feel it safe to go again I'm hitting it.  If a bad throw happens get out of the way because I'm not going to wait on you to sulk.  I'm hitting to the next guy.  If they bobble a ground ball I want them to recover and finish the play if it's realistic because that will happen in the game.  If it hits off their glove and rolls 10 feet away unless I'm running they aren't getting that guy.  Get the ball and get out of the way.  I'm not waiting on you to sulk.  I'm going to have a minimum of two guys at each position which allows it to go faster.  You only have one guy then you tend to have to wait a little.  If you are in a situation you can't have two at each spot then go with one at third because they do the least.  MIF and 1B you have to have two or you're waiting.  Have a bucket of baseballs at the plate in case it's a bad day and all of them are in the OF or over by the fence behind 1B.  You spent $500 on practice balls but only take out 3 for warm ups????????  Bring a bucket and pick up the bad throws after you're done.

We have 2 coaches hitting at the same time, and each outfielder gets 3 throws to each bag. So they get 9-10 balls total, but does not take long since 2 coaches are hitting at the same time. Same thing with the infield. Both coaches are hitting and players get about 3 throws to each bag (depending on position). Depending on the day we will have a 3rd coach hitting a few extra to the outfielders while we finish with infield.  Whole thing takes less than 10 minutes.

Last edited by d8

To start off, my kids school has two coaches hitting to the outfield from next to the pitchers mound. One on each side.  They outfielders thrown a ball in through a relay (unless the catcher calls them off) to a catcher on either side of home plate.  The players not involved in the relay move into position they would normally be in based on how the relay would be played in a normal game.  After that drill, one coach moves to the outfield and hits pop ups while the other hits grounders to the infield.  

Its not your normal hit to a position and them have them throw to 1b or 2b.  Its an around the horn thing they do.  Its up tempo and the idea is go get the blood moving and warm the kids up.   Throughout the course of the thing, the kids probably only get 3 - 5 balls hit to them, but they are constantly moving, catching and throwing the ball.  No time is wasted sitting around while the coach hits from position to position.  We end our warmups with the typical, hit to the position, throw to the catcher, charge in on slow roller and through to first, head in drill.  Though our kids do not go into the dugout until the entire team is there, so they wait at the entrance to high five those coming in.  

The same as coach2709, you better be ready to go, because our coaches are not waiting around for a kid to sulk if they screw up, or are not in position.  In addition we have buckets of balls on the field, any overthrows or missed balls are left to be picked up afterwards.  We are not waiting around for someone to retrieve a ball.  Finally, the non-starters will get a ball or two hit to them, but for the most part the starters take 80% of the balls hit to their position during warmups.  The entire thing takes about 10 minutes or so.

Whatever you decide to do just hit them routine stuff they will normally field in a game situation. Don't make it too long and don't wear them out before the game. Don't try and get so much in that your rushing through it. This creates bad habits. Also give them stuff that won't impact their confidence negatively. I have seen coaches try to impress with how hard they can hit a gb with a fungo and how far they can hit it. Also if you have a kid taking infield that can't handle a slow roller and hopefully he isn't a starter hit him something a little harder so he can make a play. There is nothing worse for your team's mental approach than to see guys kick it around the whole round of infield. Get loose, get a positive vibe working before the game starts.

I think keeping it simple goes a long way. JMO

Coach_May posted:

Whatever you decide to do just hit them routine stuff they will normally field in a game situation. Don't make it too long and don't wear them out before the game. Don't try and get so much in that your rushing through it. This creates bad habits. Also give them stuff that won't impact their confidence negatively. I have seen coaches try to impress with how hard they can hit a gb with a fungo and how far they can hit it. Also if you have a kid taking infield that can't handle a slow roller and hopefully he isn't a starter hit him something a little harder so he can make a play. There is nothing worse for your team's mental approach than to see guys kick it around the whole round of infield. Get loose, get a positive vibe working before the game starts.

I think keeping it simple goes a long way. JMO

Agree 100%

coach2709 posted:
Have a bucket of baseballs at the plate in case it's a bad day and all of them are in the OF or over by the fence behind 1B.  You spent $500 on practice balls but only take out 3 for warm ups????????  Bring a bucket and pick up the bad throws after you're done.

Our coach's philosophy was that we took 4 baseballs out. And if we found a way to throw all of them away and we didn't have any, then we simply got off the field...

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.