Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

D1's will have their 2018 class "committed" this Summer 2017 if not before.  The first NLI signing day is in typically in early November so anything can happen between now and then.  Schools will also lose players to the draft next June, or for other reasons...

So it is possible for D1's to continue to recruit 2018s during the Fall 2017 season.  I would not count on it generally.  Most schools are done and have moved on to 2019s and beyond.

Something I always wondered about:  let's say a player is trying to catch on with a D1 team post-draft.   What if the D1 spots don't open up?  They then go JC or D3?  Are there JC or D3 spots still available that late? (i.e. mid-June prior to the fall of their Freshman year of college)

Seems like a tremendous roll of the dice but I know it does happen.   Does a D1 coach say to a recruit: "we want you but cannot guarantee a spot until we know how many recruits declare for the draft."  ?

Last edited by 3and2Fastball
3and2Fastball posted:

Something I always wondered about:  let's say a player is trying to catch on with a D1 team post-draft.   What if the D1 spots don't open up?  They then go JC or D3?  Are there JC or D3 spots still available that late? (i.e. mid-June prior to the fall of their Freshman year of college)

Seems like a tremendous roll of the dice but I know it does happen.   Does a D1 coach say to a recruit: "we want you but cannot guarantee a spot until we know how many recruits declare for the draft."  ?

There are very few scenarios where a JC would NOT take a D1 caliber player, regardless of how late... sometimes even in November as a late registrant for the Spring semester (didn't cut it in the fall for his D1, doesn't want to sit a year).

Perhaps not to the same extent, and sometimes with more registration hurdles, many D3's and NAIA's will also help such a player through hoops to get them in late.  That is assuming reasonable fit from an academic standpoint.  July decisions for that fall happen more often than you might think.  Definitely not ideal or advisable, but it is reality.

Last edited by cabbagedad

The trick to recruiting is finding the 'right fit' not just for the player but also the school.....And the biggest mistake parents and players make is they do not cast a 'Wide net' . They chase the same 8-10 schools hoping they will suddenly show interest. For a 2018, any school that has seen him and wanted him, would have offered already.

Strongly suggest you do not focus exclusively on D1 . Cast a 'wide net' D1, D2, D3. There are great academic schools with well funded and well run baseball programs at the D3 level and Under funded crap baseball programs at schools which are academically the equivalent of diploma mills at the D1 level.

It's about finding the school that loves him. The school that believes he can help them win if he's on their roster.

Not to be redundant, but it all depends on the player.  For the right player there will be many late opportunities.

We have seen HS seniors get heavily recruited by National Power programs two weeks before starting their fall freshman year in college.  You just have to be extra talented.  It is amazing the way strings can be pulled when they see something special.

Google Chris Lambert last chance

I always felt you will know where you stand, by who's recruiting you. This time of year can be very frustrating for a fringe D1 player. D1's not showing interest, but D3's have not really started recruiting yet. 

My son had some D1 interest but little very concrete, and he never KNEW they wanted him. But once late august, early September came around, the D3 schools came out of the woodwork. So it became pretty clear that he was a D3 talent, because that was who was showing him the LOVE. 

If he is a D3 talent and has Worked his program and been places where D3's could see him, they may show interest soon. Now D3's on a national level, Think Trinity in Texas, it may be harder to catch their eye. But the local D3's will probably know who your son is if he is borderline D1. 

As others have said, if schools showed interest and haven't offered yet, you're probably better off looking elsewhere, unless there has still be some very recent contact.  There are opportunities for D1, but you'll have to do some legwork.

What are your son's measurables?  Ht, Wt, 60, Position, Velocity, Etc?    I will compare it to guys at my son's mid-major D1 and tell you where he would fit in compared to the guys they have there.

My personal experience was six years ago, but programs are always looking for pitchers as they lose them to the draft, injury, or transfers. I think it is less likely for position players. I have seen pitchers join programs the summer of their freshmen year. Granted this is not a fun scenario, but I have seen it. 

My son is a 2018 RHP and we will be taking most of August to make visits to D1s and D2s, a couple of whom have offered, and a couple who have said "we're interested, if you come visit and you like us we'll offer X." Since this is my first time through the rodeo, I'm no expert, but it seems to me if you are having conversations with several schools, you're fine. If those conversations haven't started yet, you probably need to look down the line at D2s or D3s.

He has a teammate who is a 2018 SS and he's in something of the same boat.

These are lower end or smaller D1s, not the big programs.

BishopLeftiesDad posted:

My son had some D1 interest but little very concrete, and he never KNEW they wanted him. But once late august, early September came around, the D3 schools came out of the woodwork. So it became pretty clear that he was a D3 talent, because that was who was showing him the LOVE. 

this was my sons experience as well.

I think people's experiences may differ regionally. From what I've seen over the last couple of years, this fall is the perfect time for a lot of the non-power 5 D1s and even some Power 5 schools. For example, several 2017s that I am familiar with committed last fall to schools like University of San Francisco, Notre Dame and University of Northern Colorado. Things for these kids didn't really start heating up until August and they were committed by the fall. 

This summer, a 2017 from our HS committed to a D1 for this fall. Only academic money for this year, but he will get athletic money in subsequent years (assuming he makes it in the program (he will)). He was initially committed to a JUCO, so he was available to make the commitment. Heck, the D1 program in our city just signed 3 kids this summer who will be on campus in August. 

Know of a kid who had D2 offers but held out for a D1. He was on the mid major D1 radar but got no offers.  Following his senior season of high school, and post draft, he received a walk on offer from a ranked Power 5. Kid was being recruited as a pitcher and he accepted the walk on spot. So, it can happen, but it didn't work out for him at the ranked D1.

By the end of fall, he did not make the team and he transferred to a mid-major D1 and sat out a year. RSFr season he got a few appearances and didn't fair well. This season, he seemed to be transition to a position player. He had only one appearance on the mound, but hit in about 1/3 of their games.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.