Skip to main content

old_school posted:

…Bottom line to the tread topic is - yes it is now the norm for (many but not all) coaches to over recruit - it happens at every level and is inevitable….

The implication of that statement is, it wasn’t normal until just the last few years. If that’s true, why now? What has changed to make “many” coaches do it now that wasn’t happening before?

SEC Hopeful posted:

I know a lot of kids who went D2, D3, Juco and NAIA. Are they happy to be playing baseball in college? You bet! Are they all a little disappointed they didn't land at a D1? 100% of them. Many still hope to transfer. The point is, many kids aren't done maturing physically (certainly mentally) before they start college. A boy really does become a man between 18-22 years old. Some just need that time to also fill out physically and that may be a factor in getting to the "promised land"

I do not question that the bolded part is your anecdotal experience.  But you know that IF Dad's son wasn't disappointed to land at a D1, so that percentage is under 100.  I can guarantee you that my son is not either.  Would he switch to D1 if Cal, UCLA, Stanford, UVA, Duke, Vandy, Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn or several others offered?  Yes,  I think he would,  IF he thought he would see the field.  But for the other 250+ D1 schools, I know he is not disappointed at all. And I believe that's true for many other D3 players whose parents are on this board.

Ja'Crispy posted:

This thread seems to have to migrated to a D1 vs D3 thread. People assign WAY to much credit to this mythical "D1" level that everybody wants to play at.  I agree most every baseball kid growing up would like to play in front of big enthusiastic crowds at top tier D1 schools on TV all of the time. Once you get past the top 40-50 D1 schools and the actual recruiting begins I completely disagree. There are plenty of reasons to not want to play at not fully-funded D1 North West Mid-Major State where the baseball coach lets you know you cannot have a major that would have the most bang for your buck coming out of a mid to lower level academic school. 

Not all D1 baseball is great baseball. You can see some very bad D1 teams pop up on TV from time to time, check them out and decide for yourself.  Their level of pitching drops off very similar to "lower" level pitching. There is a reason why "lower" level teams consistently beat these teams. They get roughly the same level of talent and the "lower" level team develops the player better.  At all of these levels it comes down to a coaches perception on the type of player he likes and needs. I really doubt very many of those lower level kids are wishing the were going to the D1 school to pay full tuition and lose a lot just to say they played D1. There are some very nice places to play at all levels you have to find yours. You would be lying to yourself and cheating yourself if you thought otherwise.

There are a lot of generalizations that get thrown out around here from time to time. You have to play travel ball at 9u or your are going to be left behind playing crappy rec ball with no way to develop. Everybody wants to play D1 so you better throw 90+, run a sub 7 60, or have 90+ mph exit velo by HS Sophomore year or you have no shot at D1. If you end up playing D3 you will be playing with and against average HS talent. The one absolute you must do is keep developing the best you can in strength, speed, and baseball skill set. I know when you are in the middle of it with your son it seems like the time is flying by and you have to keep up or you are done. Take a deep breath. The reality is the gap from 9u to HS Freshman is huge you have time to develop and catch up. The gap from HS Freshman to College Freshman is huge, this speeds up a little more because of recruiting but you still have time to work hard and develop. Take all advice with a grain of salt and use your brain nothing is an absolute.

Interesting perspective and I appreciate you taking the time to share it here.

old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Teams have always overrecruited. The difference now (been about ten years?) is they have to cut players in D1 ball rather than have large rosters.

35 guys on a roster certainly wouldn't be considered small in my opinion. It might the norm, it might even be the right number but it is not small. 

RJM is correct, D1 programs before the new rules could have up to 45 on a fall roster.  I could name you some but will refrain. 35 is 10 more than the 25 man travel roster. Players get hurt, become ineligible, rosters change all the time. Some of them are on medical waivers.  Years ago they just gave players books and sat a year.  More than likely let go the following season.

There are 25 men on a ML roster. They keep reserves on the AAA roster, tell me is this any different?

Sometimes in some seasons, even 35 isnt enough.

Backpick25 posted:

Suffice it to say, ALL levels of college baseball recruiters are trying to get the best available players. They cannot see every single player in the country. Do some get overlooked? Sure, in the end, it probably won't matter............take advantage of opportunities that are given to you!

FYI, D2 schools approached my son a year and a half before any D1 schools surfaced. They stated, they knew D1's were coming, but wanted to extend an offer that would remain open until he decided what was best for him. They were VERY generous offers that we eventually declined.

SEC hopeful, "Be careful what you wish for, most don't have any idea what they're in for and when they get there, they think, what have I gotten myself into" was a statement made to me by a longtime associate and SEC baseball coach in regard to my 2018. He went on to say he'd love to have him, but he won't be happy here in F______ville. He was being honest with my son, as he knew the skill set was there, he also knew he wanted to contribute immediately as a freshman............very difficult to do. ---------SEC, just don't limit your sons options, there's a lot of good opportunities that exist outside the SEC.

At the risk of being perceived as a jerk, "Hope"ful also implies lack of control and planning. Cultivate plans, not hope. A task that many on HSBBW are here to help you with.  Seriously, good luck to your son, wherever his endeavors take him.

Coincidentally, 2018 is a 90+ arm with plus speed and bat. He went on a couple SEC visits but chose a mid major program, he felt fit him and the goals he wanted to accomplish. 

In addition, the program plays against SEC programs midweek. He seen that as a win/win as he will get to play against one of his childhood buddies from youth ball.

Backpick25, Don't take the screen name too seriously, one can be hopeful and have a plan, but it's not within OUR control on who decides that they have a roster spot for Johnny. That is where you need a little hope. Power 5 conference baseball is pretty much for guys who are being looked at for the draft out of high school...not gonna be my son's situation, so while we can hope for that growth spurt, the fact of the matter is "it is what it is."

GOV, I'm not stoking a flame. I just think it is silly to say "my kid has D1 talent and is on a D3 roster because he was overlooked." If you are on a D3 roster, you are D3 talent. D1 roster means D1 talent. Perhaps a measurable or two compare favorably to D1, but unless the kid and parent really have that 40 year plan at age 18 ironed out and starched, I just think it's disingenuous. I want my kid to dream, to stretch, to try and fail. If it takes him an extra year to get through school because of it, it's a life lesson. Experiencing failure makes success that much sweeter.

How many of you know of a player who was held back deliberately in school for a physical advantage in sports? We all know at least one. I know a kid whose parents had him repeat 8th grade after he got straight A's to gain an advantage for scholarships and/or draft. He was not undersized, it was not done for physical reasons. Kid just committed to a Power 5 D1 this fall. So the moral of the story is parents and kids will do some extreme stuff to get to their dream. I know several players who my son suspects (and parents too) are juicing in HS. It happens. To some, the dream is more important than reason, sound judgement or competent parenting. Perhaps if they felt a solid education was enough these parents in these examples would have made different decisions for their kids. Not sure why I put the last paragraph, it's not relevant and I am tired.  

TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Teams have always overrecruited. The difference now (been about ten years?) is they have to cut players in D1 ball rather than have large rosters.

35 guys on a roster certainly wouldn't be considered small in my opinion. It might the norm, it might even be the right number but it is not small. 

RJM is correct, D1 programs before the new rules could have up to 45 on a fall roster.  I could name you some but will refrain. 35 is 10 more than the 25 man travel roster. Players get hurt, become ineligible, rosters change all the time. Some of them are on medical waivers.  Years ago they just gave players books and sat a year.  More than likely let go the following season.

There are 25 men on a ML roster. They keep reserves on the AAA roster, tell me is this any different?

college D1 play roughly 1/3 the games in roughly 1/2 the time of an MLB season...pretty sure 35 is plenty.

Back to the original question in the topic.

If you're targeting a school based on just making the team (i.e. not getting cut), I suggest you may be targeting too high.  Or at the very least, you need to have a serious talk with your son about if he can be happy being the 35th or 40th player on a D1, D2, D3, JUCO roster...or not?

And then you have to have a very serious talk with yourself as to whether or not YOU can be happy if  you go to games all year and the only time you see your son on the field is to rake the mound or drag the infield.  This is the reality of 95+% of bottom-of-roster players in college baseball.

Last edited by justbaseball

I suspect this has been mentioned, guys "leave" the program if they count against the 11.7 and cant help the team. Others who walk on are offered the D squad away from team with chance to improve and try out next year. Most guys i have seen "quit" have been told they aren't going to be a factor and come to the conclusion the work vs reward isn't worth the effort.

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks
TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Pretty sure the rule change started for the 2009-10 school year. Roster limit of 35, and maybe more importantly... upper limit of 27 players who can receive a scholarship, and minimum of 25% scholarship to every player who gets one.

The roster size change only impacted the playing season, not the fall. As of this morning, Arkansas has 44 players listed on their 2017-18 roster.  

TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Sometimes 35 isn't enough.  I know a few years ago UVA got decimated with injuries.  They ended up pulling up kids from their club team to fill in while guys got healthy.

SEC Hopeful posted: … I just think it is silly to say "my kid has D1 talent and is on a D3 roster because he was overlooked." If you are on a D3 roster, you are D3 talent. D1 roster means D1 talent. …

It’s thinking like that which has perpetuated so many myths in the game. What it’s really saying is all schools get a meaningful look at all players, no errors in judgement of talent are ever made, and no players playing at a “lower” level school could possibly play at a higher level let alone have success at that level.

Get real!

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Buzzard05 posted:

Unfortunately, many of the posters in this thread seem to think there is a definitive cutoff between a D1 talent and a D3 talent....when in reality there is some absolute overlap. 

This little data exercise should really make some heads explode. Rating the top 500 college teams across all divisions.

https://www.masseyratings.com/...e2017&sub=294178

Good stuff! A school Like Miami University in Ohio stuck out to me as my son has friends there because its a D1. There are plenty of good reasons to go to school at Miami OH but playing D1 baseball should be further down the list. Wisconsin Whitewater a D3 where he also knows kids is above them. They get very good athletes in most of their sports and have had a good baseball program for a while. That should not be an easy decision to choose between those two if you are making a decision heavily weighted on baseball. Its not as clear cut as D1 is better than D3. There are also many D2 above both of them. There is an NAIA school Indiana Tech that most haven't heard of but plays really good baseball above them. 

Its clear there is a top tier of D1 where the top talent goes to. I believe most kids would go there if recruited by them. After you get past that top level you have to throw all in a big pot mix it up and find your best fit. It is not as clear as D1>JUCO>D2>NAIA>D3>.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Buzzard05 posted:

Unfortunately, many of the posters in this thread seem to think there is a definitive cutoff between a D1 talent and a D3 talent....when in reality there is some absolute overlap. 

This little data exercise should really make some heads explode. Rating the top 500 college teams across all divisions.

This can't be accurate!! LOL 

Seriously, it seems non-crazy, although certainly not precise. The top D3 team, Cal Lu, is rated as the 202nd best team in the country.

I was having a conversation recently where I said that UC San Diego (D2) would probably beat the bottom 100 D1 teams, but this indicates I was being too harsh on UC San Diego, as this has them at #73.

2019Dad posted:
MidAtlanticDad posted:
Buzzard05 posted:

This can't be accurate!! LOL 

Seriously, it seems non-crazy, although certainly not precise. The top D3 team, Cal Lu, is rated as the 202nd best team in the country.

I was having a conversation recently where I said that UC San Diego (D2) would probably beat the bottom 100 D1 teams, but this indicates I was being too harsh on UC San Diego, as this has them at #73.

My eyes immediately went to the first team not in NCAA D1, which is Chipola College at #32. I thought that was pretty nuts, but after finding that they had 10 guys drafted from their 2017 roster, maybe not so nuts.

old_school posted:
TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

college D1 play roughly 1/3 the games in roughly 1/2 the time of an MLB season...pretty sure 35 is plenty.

I would say that you can't every paint everything with the same brush.  It depends on the season.  Some years 35 is probably too many, some just right, and others not nearly enough.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Pretty sure the rule change started for the 2009-10 school year. Roster limit of 35, and maybe more importantly... upper limit of 27 players who can receive a scholarship, and minimum of 25% scholarship to every player who gets one.

The roster size change only impacted the playing season, not the fall. As of this morning, Arkansas has 44 players listed on their 2017-18 roster.  

Purdue 49, but they don't list the updated roster, only the returnees are listed on the roster right now.

old_school posted:
RJM posted:

It wasn’t long ago (about ten years) there weren’t roster restrictions. A player with potential could walk on, work hard and wait a couple of years for his shot. Now he has a few weeks in the fall to prove himself assuming there’s an available roster spot.

Thirty-five is a lot considering only 18-20 contribute on a regular basis over the season. It’s why there are so many transfers. 

SEC Hopeful posted:
Backpick25 posted:

Suffice it to say, ALL levels of college baseball recruiters are trying to get the best available players. They cannot see every single player in the country. Do some get overlooked? Sure, in the end, it probably won't matter............take advantage of opportunities that are given to you!

FYI, D2 schools approached my son a year and a half before any D1 schools surfaced. They stated, they knew D1's were coming, but wanted to extend an offer that would remain open until he decided what was best for him. They were VERY generous offers that we eventually declined.

SEC hopeful, "Be careful what you wish for, most don't have any idea what they're in for and when they get there, they think, what have I gotten myself into" was a statement made to me by a longtime associate and SEC baseball coach in regard to my 2018. He went on to say he'd love to have him, but he won't be happy here in F______ville. He was being honest with my son, as he knew the skill set was there, he also knew he wanted to contribute immediately as a freshman............very difficult to do. ---------SEC, just don't limit your sons options, there's a lot of good opportunities that exist outside the SEC.

At the risk of being perceived as a jerk, "Hope"ful also implies lack of control and planning. Cultivate plans, not hope. A task that many on HSBBW are here to help you with.  Seriously, good luck to your son, wherever his endeavors take him.

Coincidentally, 2018 is a 90+ arm with plus speed and bat. He went on a couple SEC visits but chose a mid major program, he felt fit him and the goals he wanted to accomplish. 

In addition, the program plays against SEC programs midweek. He seen that as a win/win as he will get to play against one of his childhood buddies from youth ball.

Backpick25, Don't take the screen name too seriously, one can be hopeful and have a plan, but it's not within OUR control on who decides that they have a roster spot for Johnny. That is where you need a little hope. Power 5 conference baseball is pretty much for guys who are being looked at for the draft out of high school...not gonna be my son's situation, so while we can hope for that growth spurt, the fact of the matter is "it is what it is."

GOV, I'm not stoking a flame. I just think it is silly to say "my kid has D1 talent and is on a D3 roster because he was overlooked." If you are on a D3 roster, you are D3 talent. D1 roster means D1 talent. Perhaps a measurable or two compare favorably to D1, but unless the kid and parent really have that 40 year plan at age 18 ironed out and starched, I just think it's disingenuous. I want my kid to dream, to stretch, to try and fail. If it takes him an extra year to get through school because of it, it's a life lesson. Experiencing failure makes success that much sweeter.

How many of you know of a player who was held back deliberately in school for a physical advantage in sports? We all know at least one. I know a kid whose parents had him repeat 8th grade after he got straight A's to gain an advantage for scholarships and/or draft. He was not undersized, it was not done for physical reasons. Kid just committed to a Power 5 D1 this fall. So the moral of the story is parents and kids will do some extreme stuff to get to their dream. I know several players who my son suspects (and parents too) are juicing in HS. It happens. To some, the dream is more important than reason, sound judgement or competent parenting. Perhaps if they felt a solid education was enough these parents in these examples would have made different decisions for their kids. Not sure why I put the last paragraph, it's not relevant and I am tired.  

I assure you every year there are multiple players on NESCAC and Centennial rosters (D3) who had D1 options. When it was my son’s era I knew some of the kids and the offers they received. The kids decided since it was unlikely they would become pro prospects they chose the academic route.

Seeing beyond baseball doesn’t require the maturity to have a forty year plan. All it takes is the common sense of understanding the need to have an education if baseball doesn’t become a career. While everyone in D1 is potentially a pro prospect a majority are long shots (even in power conferences).

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
SEC Hopeful posted:
Backpick25 posted:

I assure you every year there are multiple players on NESCAC rosters (D3) who had D1 options. When it was my son’s era I knew some of the kids and the offers they received. The kids decided since it was unlikely they would become pro prospects so they chose the academic route.

Seeing beyond baseball doesn’t require the maturity to have a forty year plan. All it takes is the common sense of understanding the need to have an education if baseball doesn’t become a career. While everyone in D1 is potentially a pro prospect a majority are long shots (even in power conferences).

Bingo RJM. 

And SECHopeful: my 2018 was recruited my multiple D1's but they were not satisfying his academic and career interests, or offering a chance to play immediately.  A top academic D3 was a great solution.   

MidAtlanticDad posted:
TPM posted:
old_school posted:
RJM posted:

Thats correct. By the end of this semester it should be down to 35, but the season roster isnt set until right before opening day. 

The problem is this, the fall counts so pretty sure players are cutting into their eligibility.

I have not been able to keep up with this thread so I apologize if someone has already discussed this option. It seems, in what I have been able to read, that a lot of this has been about levels of play, playing time, and choices made in regards to academic goals. All of which makes sense. However, my son has decided (recommended by his pitching coach/mentor with strong family support) to attend and play baseball (as RHP) at D1 school that is very competitive. I think people on the outside looking in would probably say it is a reach based on where he is at right now. However, he believes, as do we, that he is still has plenty of room to develop and be a guy for them. My son also understands that if he does not develop and/or struggles, he may end up having to find another home or decide to finish up his academics without baseball. My advice to him was go for it!!!! What is the worst that can happen? He doesn't make it. He will be 19, 20, 21 years old. Definitely washed up with no other options at that age.  If it does not work out, maybe he will end up at a D2,D3,NAIA school playing baseball. Maybe he will decide that he wants to move on in life and just focus on academics. Point is...there will still be plenty of options for him.

I really believe that we, as parents, spend too much time trying or advising our children to follow a straight line path to achieve their long-term goals. Most of the people I know who enjoy their work have anything but a straight line. I know I did not and would have never guessed that I would be doing what I do now and loving it!!!! IMO...best advice we can give to our children is to be passionate about what they are passionate about right now! When they are passionate about something they will work their tails off and develop a strong work ethic. Then they will learn to focus on the process not the outcome. Recipe for success in my book!

coachld posted:

I have not been able to keep up with this thread so I apologize if someone has already discussed this option. It seems, in what I have been able to read, that a lot of this has been about levels of play, playing time, and choices made in regards to academic goals. All of which makes sense. However, my son has decided (recommended by his pitching coach/mentor with strong family support) to attend and play baseball (as RHP) at D1 school that is very competitive. I think people on the outside looking in would probably say it is a reach based on where he is at right now. However, he believes, as do we, that he is still has plenty of room to develop and be a guy for them.

My 2018 is doing much the same. I tend to be timid and say "don't you want to go someplace where you'll dominate?" His response is that wherever he goes he'll have to fight to get on the field.

I have confidence in his work ethic, and admire his courage, even though my instinct as his mom is to make it as easy as possible for him to get what he wants, he's choosing a more challenging path.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
Buzzard05 posted:

Mid, I've never seen this before... this is really interesting.  So many questions about what formula they are using.  I've seen probably at least 60-80 of these schools over the last 6-7 years across all levels.  There are some real head scratchers.  Many of the overlaps, I totally buy.  Quite a few others, I have serious questions about.  Would make for some great debates except that there are so few people that get to see a broad cross-section of these teams (I think).

Stats4Gnats posted:

SEC Hopeful posted: … I just think it is silly to say "my kid has D1 talent and is on a D3 roster because he was overlooked." If you are on a D3 roster, you are D3 talent. D1 roster means D1 talent. …

It’s thinking like that which has perpetuated so many myths in the game. What it’s really saying is all schools get a meaningful look at all players, no errors in judgement of talent are ever made, and no players playing at a “lower” level school could possibly play at a higher level let alone have success at that level.

Get real!

All the nay Sayers seem to have kids who "chose D3 over D1"...so where are the posters at who had D3 and D1 offers who chose D1? Haven't heard them yet I don't think because they aren't trying to justify themselves.

SEC Hopeful posted:
Stats4Gnats posted:

Get real!

All the nay Sayers seem to have kids who "chose D3 over D1"...so where are the posters at who had D3 and D1 offers who chose D1? Haven't heard them yet I don't think because they aren't trying to justify themselves.

You seem to have a hard time believing that there are people who might have a different outlook than you do -- you seem to think that anyone who is not an "SEC hopeful" like you is being disingenuous. You're wrong.

Everyone is different.  There are probably 40-50 DI programs most kids would die to play for...even if it's just to ride the bench.  After that, other factors start to come into play that are not about Baseball.  For highly successful academic kids there's a point where mid to low D1s offer such an inferior (sorry to be harsh on this) academic experience that the D3 school is a much better overall option.  If it was just about Baseball, sure you'd take a D1 opportunity every time.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.