Labrum surgery

My 15 year old son is a LHP and suffered a season ending injury to his left shoulder back in late February. After several weeks of rest and a MRI the orthopedic surgeon at Palmetto Health USC determined he had a SLAP tear to his labrum. We are having surgery today to repair the tear. If anyone has any success stories, advice please don't hesitate to share. I have read numerous articles about this type of surgery and what to expect but would love to get some firsthand knowledge as to how the recovery process could go. Thanks for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Original Post

Hoping for the best possible outcome for your son. I had labrum surgery myself, but at age 50 and I don't play baseball, so my experience probably isn't very helpful. Like most of these ortho surgeries, following the prescribed PT is probably the most important factor within his control. Best of luck!

Thanks to those who have responded and expressed their best wishes. The surgery went well and he is home resting. Now begins the long road to recovery. His first PT will be Thursday.  The orthopedic surgeon at USC was great as were the nurses and staff at palmetto Richland hospital. 

Yesterday was the first day of PT and went as well as to be expected. He was in a good bit of pain but handled it pretty well. My son has an unusually high tolerance for pain which is a good thing I guess, I just hope the mental and emotional stress doesn't get to him. He was able to attend his teams last home game last night and the coaching staff and his teammates were glad to see him.  Thanks again for the thoughts and prayers.

Add Reply