Skip to main content

It's been awfully entertaining so far.

I hope the Giants brass is paying attention. Their squad is just not built to play the same game these teams are playing.

I am actually leaning toward Houston but I feel like the IR ruling giving Boston a run just now was good example of why IR is not as evil as some folks think.   Good outcome.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

MidAtlanticDad posted:

Boiling mad. Comcast is my cable tv provider, and MLB is not allowing me to stream the game on any devices. I can only watch it on tv on MLB Network. 

No, xfinity is not allowing you to view it.   

Download the ESPN app..... Nope that doesn't work either.

Here it is on MLB and Later game FSN. I have xfinity to.

I am going with the Astros and Verlander for AL and the Cubs for NL.

Last edited by TPM

Stick a fork in the Red Sox. They’re done. The advantage the Red Sox had was to play even late into the game and let the bullpen take over.

Chris Sale had to be on his game, win two and hope someone else (Pomeranz?) could win one. Sale was the mediocre pitcher he was in his last eleven season starts (4-4, 4.04)

Jim Kaat did a good job of explaining what’s wrong with Sale. Due to fatigue he has dropped his elbow and his hand flattening out his pitches.

i predicted on July 1 the Sox would win their division and get flattened in the playoffs. I’m not rooting for it. But it was easy to see very early.

The upside to getting flattened could be maybe Farrell gets fired. He’s never been a good in game manager. I figured he was a player’s manager. But with so many players finishing below their abilities he’s either lost them, can’t motivate them or both.

The Red Sox are an interesting team.  They have zigged a bit when others have zagged.  Their outfielders are all very athletic high contact athletes in an era when teams are stacking their lineups with elevate and celebrate  dudes swinging up and swinging for the fences.   It is clear that Boston over pitched Sale down the stretch and that will be their undoing.  Dombroswki is the one who should be fired, in my opinion. He seems relatively clueless.

if it turns out to be Astros-Indians in the ALCS, that could be on heckuva series.

I have no idea what to think about the NL.  Cubs might surprise people.  Nationals on paper look like the strongest team but Baseball isn't won on paper.

A couple random, post season thoughts on a crazy Friday with 4 Division Series games.  

1) My dream of a Red Sox vs Nationals World Series is not going to happen this year.  I'm not feeling it.

2) Cleveland vs Diamondbacks World Series.  Picking the Indians.  I have a man crush on Tito Francona.

3) Gary Sanchez has no business pretending to be a catcher in the post season.  Yankees need to DH him if he is in the lineup.

3and2Fastball posted:

The Red Sox are an interesting team.  They have zigged a bit when others have zagged.  Their outfielders are all very athletic high contact athletes in an era when teams are stacking their lineups with elevate and celebrate  dudes swinging up and swinging for the fences.   It is clear that Boston over pitched Sale down the stretch and that will be their undoing.  Dombroswki is the one who should be fired, in my opinion. He seems relatively clueless.

if it turns out to be Astros-Indians in the ALCS, that could be on heckuva series.

I have no idea what to think about the NL.  Cubs might surprise people.  Nationals on paper look like the strongest team but Baseball isn't won on paper.

Dombrowski is OK. Farrell should be fired. He’s a former pitcher who overuses pitchers. He’s a terrible in game manager. He seems to lack the ability to motivate. Too many players underperformed this year. 

fenwaysouth posted:

A couple random, post season thoughts on a crazy Friday with 4 Division Series games.  

1) My dream of a Red Sox vs Nationals World Series is not going to happen this year.  I'm not feeling it.

2) Cleveland vs Diamondbacks World Series.  Picking the Indians.  I have a man crush on Tito Francona.

3) Gary Sanchez has no business pretending to be a catcher in the post season.  Yankees need to DH him if he is in the lineup.

Geez, no kidding with Sanchez.  I don't think I've seen a worse performance defensively by a MLB catcher.  He couldn't handle any of the P's they rolled out.  There were a couple strange kicks and really bad pitches but still..

TPM posted:

Maybe everyone can switch managers.

Who wants Matheny? Talk about using pitchers incorrectly! Maybe teams can switch GMs while they are at it. Moz for Dombrowsi?

MLB lacks the lure it used to have. Hoping this off season helps the sport.   

I'll keep Francona.  Sure had doubts about the Bauer decision but he is obviously a lot smarter than me.  My only complaint is continued use of Shaw.  I really hope I'm not being a prophet right now.

My takeaways from watching the games thus far are mainly these.

#1: The players are just soooo much better now on average than ever in the past.

#2: The game is faster now (not pace of play, obviously) but mound velo & exit velocity of balls in play, arm strength, athleticism & speed of position players.

#3: You had numerous pitchers run out there bumping high 90's / 100 who could get virtually nobody out while throwing strikes. This would not have happened 20-30 years ago. That velo alone would have translated into a degree of success.

$4: Command of the fastball, movement & secondary pitches are more relevant than ever & velocity is diminishing in effect.

cabbagedad posted:

With the recent trending of bigger/stronger, who would have thought a guy about 5'5", a buck and a half would be the power hitter that needs to be worked around?

Yeah, to a degree... Altuve runs a 6.5 sixty though and has tremendous first step quickness.  It is clear he has plenty of explosiveness

I hear ya though!  Reminds me of Joe Morgan a bit...

cabbagedad posted:

With the recent trending of bigger/stronger, who would have thought a guy about 5'5", a buck and a half would be the power hitter that needs to be worked around?

Houston guy and big Altuve fan.  A time will come shortly when the national media will stop referring to his size, making jokes, puns etc.  It has already happened in Houston.

He is as big as any player in the game.

Go44dad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Houston guy and big Altuve fan.  A time will come shortly when the national media will stop referring to his size, making jokes, puns etc.  It has already happened in Houston.

On top of all that Altuve couldn't be a nicer guy.  A few years ago (before the Astros were any good) me and my son were down on the field at Minute Maid Park during pre-game BP.  Astro players were milling around behind the batting cage right where we were standing.  We kept to ourselves and some players spoke to us and some didn't. But Altuve walked straight over to my son (who even at 14 was bigger than Altuve) and struck up a conversation that lasted 10 minutes and ended with photos. He made 2 fans for life that day. 

Go44dad posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Oh, heck yeah, love the guy.  He's probably going to be largely responsible for keeping my team from winning a series for the first time in my lifetime and I still love him.  

I will still continue to use the size angle though.  He is an instant go-to when any of my small players start "going there" with "wish I was" BS.

I got to see Altuva in single A. We sat 1st row behind the dugout and I couldn't believe how small he was. Then he went to bat and stroked 1 to the left center wall. The next year was when he got brought up. Been a huge fan ever since! 

As for the games, what's happened to all these starting pitchers. Half of them can't make it to the 3rd inning...crazy  

Adam Lind started that rally and Harper and Zimmerman finished it.  A tip of the cap to Dusty Baker for being patient and not sending Robles (pinch runner) who is very, very fast.  Nats fans were screaming at my TV last night to try to get Robles to 2nd base, and  Dusty ignored them.   It paid off in a big way.   Watch out....the Nats offensive genie is out of the bottle.  

Looks like the Nats, Cubs and Dodgers all woke up at the right time. Took the Nats a little longer than their fans wanted I think.   I have been watching the Dodgers this year more and after seeing the game without Joe Davis announcing I just realized how good he is. I saw the Astro's game he did and he was just as prepared as he is for Dodger games. The clowns TBS have in the booth are beyond bad, not prepared at all. 

BOF posted:

My head is going to explode if  I hear "Sweet Caroline" one more time....

Agreed.  It has a much better ring to it when the Red Sox actually (freaking) win.   When they lose in the playoffs, the song is a reminder of how poorly their GM has put together this team, Manager makes moves, and players execute. 

Opening day 2018 is 172 days but who is counting.  Red Sox Nation is very restless right now after losing poorly in the playoffs, and it isn't for a new seventh inning stretch song.  

joemktg posted:

Stupid, stupid, stupid decision by Dusty! Dammit. What a fool! This is the same manager who doesn't hesitate to leave a guy in with 140 pitches. 

Friggin' idiot. 

True, but the offense has been just pathetic. Look at the starts turned in by Stras & Scherzer & you clock 2 L's scoring a combined 1 run in 18 innings. The run you get is because a guy can't catch a fly ball. Really? If you want to ream Dusty do it for delivering a team playing scared at the plate. Turner is terrified. All the rest are pressing so hard its painful to watch. The only exceptions are Harper & Taylor who are aggressive at the dish.

Steve A. posted: The only exceptions are Harper & Taylor who are aggressive at the dish.

Zim has control at the plate, as does Michael A. Throw Harper sweeping breaking balls and you have him out of sync (assuming you don't hang a curve). Everyone else? No one has any idea what is going on. Even Murphy looks completely fooled in the box, swinging at low-inside when he normally lays off that crap. Inexplicable.

I am so pissed about taking Scherzer out. I know he said he can go 100 pitches, but that was an estimate, and he could clearly go more. Pitch around Schwarber and face Heyward and Russell. But to take him out for....SAMMY SOLIS?? Are you kidding me??? THE Sammy Solis who has a 5.88 ERA, and faced Almora once before...and Almora doubled off of him. Now 2 ABs, 2 doubles.

What it boils down to is this: Do you prefer Scherzer vs Schwarber or Solis vs Almora, because you know Maddon is going to pinch hit? No doubt I roll with Max. Also, why can't you let Maddon declare Almora & just come out & pull Solis ( use him without using him) & then bring in Madson to throw to Almora? Hell, you are already in the 7th so what if you spend Solis? You have a full pen & you must win this game. Get the matchup you want.   

joemktg posted:
Steve A. posted: The only exceptions are Harper & Taylor who are aggressive at the dish.

Zim has control at the plate, as does Michael A. Throw Harper sweeping breaking balls and you have him out of sync (assuming you don't hang a curve). Everyone else? No one has any idea what is going on. Even Murphy looks completely fooled in the box, swinging at low-inside when he normally lays off that crap. Inexplicable.

I am so pissed about taking Scherzer out. I know he said he can go 100 pitches, but that was an estimate, and he could clearly go more. Pitch around Schwarber and face Heyward and Russell. But to take him out for....SAMMY SOLIS?? Are you kidding me??? THE Sammy Solis who has a 5.88 ERA, and faced Almora once before...and Almora doubled off of him. Now 2 ABs, 2 doubles.

Agreed Joe.   It was a "clown move bro" to take Scherzer out.  Solis (LHP) has been good at times but has been inconsistent all season.   You have one of the three best pitchers in MLB on the mound with some gas in his tank.  You don't take Scherzer out (tied 1-1 in a 3 game series) unless you've lost your mind.

3and2Fastball posted:

Why do you have Oliver Perez pitch to Rizzo when you have Sean Doolittle available?  Because Doolittle is thought of as the "9th Inning guy"?!  Dusty might be a little too old school for the modern game.

Totally agree. I am getting beat with Doolittle, Madsen & or Kintzler from the 7th inning on, period. You have 8 outs to get with a 1 run lead & you get beat with your bottom guys in the pen. This is not smart.

These guys fall in love with the matchup game & it ends up you have your 5th best reliever in the wrong spot vs a right handed hitter with the season effectively on the line anyway! It's a joke.

Solis does not even belong on the big club, he is one of the MANY reasons they went and got 3 guys for their pen, and Baker has now made yet another blundering error.  Out-managed yet again.

Rendon has not hit 3rd all season.  So he moves him there for the playoffs?  Bench Worth he is worthless, he along with the rest of the team won't dive for balls.  Put in Adam Lind who can hit at least.  Maybe bench Turner for Difo, who was excellent all season...

It is absolutely infuriating to see this team -- another DC franchise who tops out in the regular season -- choke again.  Scherzer said it best in the dugout when he came out of the game, with his run of F bombs.   Both amazing starts from the two aces completely wasted.  And now they face Arrieta.  

With you Joe -- unbelievable.  It seems Dusty doesn't want to hurt Tanner's feelings!  Some line like he was supposed to have the start anyway...

THE SERIES IS ON THE LINE.

First you put in minor leaguer (no offense to anyone else in the minors) Solis who has not been able to get the job done all season long, and then the baseball gods smile down and give you a day of rest and you decide that Roark is a better option than your #1 draft pick ace.  No offense to Tanner.  He has done everything you have asked all season, but ask him to sit his ass in the bullpen tomorrow and yield to the better pitcher.  

I have never liked Dusty's in-game management, the modern game has definitely passed him by.  I would prefer Chicago to get through as I think the Dodgers match up better against them, plus a little bit of the revenge factor would make that series more interesting. 

I really like the make up of the Diamondbacks, they will be a factor for years to come... but police on horseback to protect your pool? Seriously...

I am extending a heartfelt "Texas" welcome for any disheartened fans of other organizations to join the Astros fan base.  Young stars, with many more on the way.  Built to win for both now and the future.  We have plenty of room for you!

AND WE PLAY THE COTTON-EYED JOE IN THE SEVENTH INNING STRETCH!

(But we can't pay like Bama pays.)

Go44dad posted:

I am extending a heartfelt "Texas" welcome for any disheartened fans of other organizations to join the Astros fan base.  Young stars, with many more on the way.  Built to win for both now and the future.  We have plenty of room for you!

AND WE PLAY THE COTTON-EYED JOE IN THE SEVENTH INNING STRETCH!

(But we can't pay like Bama pays.)

You Texans got the poors.

fenwaysouth posted:
joemktg posted:

Agreed Joe.   It was a "clown move bro" to take Scherzer out.  Solis (LHP) has been good at times but has been inconsistent all season.   You have one of the three best pitchers in MLB on the mound with some gas in his tank.  You don't take Scherzer out (tied 1-1 in a 3 game series) unless you've lost your mind.

Yep.   Taking Scherzer out was a bone head move.  What was Dusty thinking?

And now Roark on the mound for a must win game 4?  

Teaching Elder posted:

I am sensing a lot of frustration, disappointment and disillusionment with Nats fans.  I want to extend this offer to you all to become Alabama Football fans.  They almost never lose.

Better yet, make that a move to being a Clemson fan. 

They know how to beat Bama!!!!

joemktg posted:

Friggin' annoyed to no end by Baker's stupidity. This team was built to get to the playoffs, and this dumbass mucks it up. At least if they lose today, then I can focus on my NY Giants.

OH WAIT....

First....Go Cubs.....

Now that that is out of the way, I was at the game on Monday.  I have to agree with everyone on pulling Scherzer.  Pretty much everyone around us was trying to figure out what Dusty was up to. Though we thank him for it. We had to put up with Dusty for a number of years so everyone pretty much figured it was another Dusty move.  

So, your season is on the line & you have to decide between A: Tanner Roark or B: Your co-ace who just threw the hell out of it in game 1, on 3 days rest. Jeeze that's just such a tough one..... 

Oh but he's under the weather & his bullpen did not line up right & bla bla bla. The fact of the matter is that if Roark wobbles early, Strasburg IS IN THE FREAKIN GAME anyway, so just start him & skip the Roark drama.

I love Roark but Roark's stuff compared to Strasburg is like JV to Varsity. Its not even in the zip code.

If you win you start Roark in game 5. You have Gio available on 3 days & Scherzer would be good for a couple as its his bullpen day.

I'm sure they've been doing all they can to help speed his recovery.  My guess is they asked him this morning how he felt.  Until that point, the key thing was to ensure that Roark was mentally ready to start.

I would also guess that they'll have a short leash on Strasburg today.  He may be 100% for first pitch, but stamina could be compromised.  At that point, you could see Roark (who has experience in middle relief) and pretty much every one else but Scherzer before it's done.  Even Gio Gonzalez might be asked to cover 2-3 innings if it comes to that.

I would bet that they are quietly doing all they can to help Scherzer prepare to start tomorrow.  If it were me, I would have put him on a plane to DC by now, but knowing Scherzer, he would probably have refused to leave the team in its hour of need.

Midlo Dad posted:

I'm sure they've been doing all they can to help speed his recovery.  My guess is they asked him this morning how he felt.  Until that point, the key thing was to ensure that Roark was mentally ready to start.

I would also guess that they'll have a short leash on Strasburg today.  He may be 100% for first pitch, but stamina could be compromised.  At that point, you could see Roark (who has experience in middle relief) and pretty much every one else but Scherzer before it's done.  Even Gio Gonzalez might be asked to cover 2-3 innings if it comes to that.

I would bet that they are quietly doing all they can to help Scherzer prepare to start tomorrow.  If it were me, I would have put him on a plane to DC by now, but knowing Scherzer, he would probably have refused to leave the team in its hour of need.

Elim game.  Scherzer will stay with team just in case.  Verlander and Sale were first in in the Astros / Red Sox.

Strasburg and the Nationals are clowns, Harper is a punk...I understand folks around the DC area should cheer for them but after putside of Metro DC they should be universally loathed. The curse of the goat and Babe Ruth should cast against the franchise for generations if not centuries to come!

Since the day 4 or 5 years ago when they shut down Strasburg in early September...they had the team to beat and they thought it would be easy for years to come. They pissed off the baseball gods and insulted all who care about the game, Crash Davis would have retired willingly had he been a part of that fiasco.

Never assume winning is easy and never assume you will be back next year - ask Dan Marino!!!

I honestly have no respect for the franchise - the Yankees I can hate for so many reasons but also command respect....the Nationals aren't worthy of the time spent typing here...which was not very much!  

old_school posted:

Strasburg and the Nationals are clowns, Harper is a punk...I understand folks around the DC area should cheer for them but after putside of Metro DC they should be universally loathed. The curse of the goat and Babe Ruth should cast against the franchise for generations if not centuries to come!

Since the day 4 or 5 years ago when they shut down Strasburg in early September...they had the team to beat and they thought it would be easy for years to come. They pissed off the baseball gods and insulted all who care about the game, Crash Davis would have retired willingly had he been a part of that fiasco.

Never assume winning is easy and never assume you will be back next year - ask Dan Marino!!!

I honestly have no respect for the franchise - the Yankees I can hate for so many reasons but also command respect....the Nationals aren't worthy of the time spent typing here...which was not very much!  

Bryant struck out 4 X last night. Is he a punk? Strasburg made Arrieta look like he should be playing for the JV team last night. Is he a clown now? Your comments are idiotic.

Having watched my son play in a number of championship games I really appreciated Francona's quote:

“Nobody wanted the season to be over,” said Francona. “It doesn’t wind down. It comes to a crashing halt. And nobody, myself included, was ready for it to be over.”

Although I have lots of friends in Houston, I would love a Dodger - Yankee  WS, but of course there is lots of baseball left to be played. These were the best 8 teams in the playoffs in quite a few years and I have enjoyed watching many of the games.  

Smitty28 posted:

What the heck was Sanchez doing back there?  He drops a 2-out 3rd strike fastball and puts the ball in his pocket?  Kind of an odd no-call by the umpire on that one.

Jeff did the punch-out (which was correct) and then did nothing (which was also correct) because the batter-runner is not out at that point. However, because once a reasonable amount of time passes, the batter-runner is out, Jeff should have declared him out after that period.

BOF posted:

Although I have lots of friends in Houston, I would love a Dodger - Yankee  WS, but of course there is lots of baseball left to be played. These were the best 8 teams in the playoffs in quite a few years and I have enjoyed watching many of the games.  

Holding my tongue has become painful at the thought of a Dodger/Yankee WS

Image result for holding tongue is painful

Steve A. posted:
old_school posted:

Bryant struck out 4 X last night. Is he a punk? Strasburg made Arrieta look like he should be playing for the JV team last night. Is he a clown now? Your comments are idiotic.

I resent those remarks as well, why can't one topic remain positive with him.

The thing that bothers me is the story that he was ill. Strasburg is a stick to the script pitcher, hopefully this will show him that today there might not beven a tomorrow.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.