Skip to main content

in July. We were just sent a list of college programs who will have coaches there.  Should son write the coaches of the schools he's interested in and let them know that he'll be there? Or, should he just go and do his best and let the chips fall where they may?  He's hoping to go to the camp for older kids in summer 2016.

thanks!

"Don't be mean now because remember: Wherever you go, there you are..." Buckaroo Banzai

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Yes.  Recruiting for coaches is hard enough.  If they know a player is already interested in their school and baseball program, that takes care of 50% of their work immediately.  Send a brief highlight video and fill out schools online recruit questionnaire before the camp.  IMO, No brainer. 

Now all your '17 has to do is get them to write him to say they are interested in him!

Good luck!

smokeminside,

I agree with #1 Assistant Coach.  In addition, I would confirm they are going to be at the camp and ask what other showcases or camps they will be at this summer.  Very rarely does a coach make a recruiting decision or put a recruit on a watch list after seeing a recruit just one time.  It is usually after multiple times, mutual interest achieved,  and a dialogue is started between the coach and the recruit.

Also, when the time is right have your travel coach, high school coach, Legion coach, or pro scout ready to speak to an interested recruiting coach.   It never hurts to be prepared to make his life and your life easier.  A great reference can speak volumes about his ability, character and work ethic. 

Good luck!

Yes, I would email or call them directly a couple weeks before the event so they can try to put a name to a face.  Some of these coaches are looking at hundreds of kids over a weekend.   Try to find something that makes your son standout.  I would also update them (anytime) with any athletic (all-district or all-state honors)  or academic milestones that would help with his recruitment.  As BucsFan suggested, having great grades helps the recruiter but it also gives your son more options in the college baseball universe.  Just as a 90 mph fast ball opens recruiting doors so does a high SAT or ACT.  

Good luck.

PS...Just to clarify...these are things your son should do,  not you.  I was using the word "I" loosely.  ;-)

Last edited by fenwaysouth
Yes, defiantly contact them in advance.  My son went last year, he contacted coaches before-hand, several replied and wanted him to contact them as soon as he knew his team assignment and when the week started when he was pitching. 

Originally Posted by smokeminside:

in July. We were just sent a list of college programs who will have coaches there.  Should son write the coaches of the schools he's interested in and let them know that he'll be there? Or, should he just go and do his best and let the chips fall where they may?  He's hoping to go to the camp for older kids in summer 2016.

thanks!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.