Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Great story.  A big congratulations to you on your efforts and the exciting results!  I second what Strainedoblique said... now the real work begins.

"... have been told I am the only second basemen in the class and could see significant playing time my freshman year, which is awesome..."

Even if the above turns out to be true, the worst thing you can do is believe it.  If the coaching staff is worth their salt, they will have other solid options at second base (and every other position) and will continue finding more.  Maybe you end up being the only second baseman in your class but maybe there are several good ones that are in the classes above you.  Assume there are.  Assume that, if there are not, then they will have a surplus of shortstops that they can convert to 2b.  Assume you will have to work your butt off and compete to earn PT.  If you earn some PT in year one, assume they will bring in strong recruits to compete for your PT the following year.  The more you prepare yourself to handle a constant wave of new competitive challenges (which you will undoubtedly face), the better you will handle them.

Believe you can, but don't believe it will be handed to you.

Last edited by cabbagedad
cabbagedad posted:

Great story.  A big congratulations to you on your efforts and the exciting results!  I second what Strainedoblique said... now the real work begins.

"... have been told I am the only second basemen in the class and could see significant playing time my freshman year, which is awesome..."

Even if the above turns out to be true, the worst thing you can do is believe it.  If the coaching staff is worth their salt, they will have other solid options at second base (and every other position) and will continue finding more.  Maybe you end up being the only second baseman in your class but maybe there are several good ones that are in the classes above you.  Assume there are.  Assume that, if there are not, then they will have a surplus of shortstops that they can convert to 2b.  Assume you will have to work your butt off and compete to earn PT.  If you earn some PT in year one, assume they will bring in strong recruits to compete for your PT the following year.  The more you prepare yourself to handle a constant wave of new competitive challenges (which you will undoubtedly face), the better you will handle them.

Believe you can, but don't believe it will be handed to you.

Good post cabbagedad.

The best coaches in the country promise nothing, you have to earn it.

Thank you for sharing your story.  My 2018 just attended his first HF camp and I was very curious how it was working out for a lot of the 2017's position players attending.  It definitely looked like the coaches were dialed in on pitchers.  

Congratulations with the St. Olaf opportunity! 

Last edited by Gov

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.