Skip to main content

My intention is not to pick on one of today’s posters. The intent is advice to parents of younger high school players or those approaching high school. The high school coach does not care how long your kid has played ball. He doesn’t care if your kid played for the World Champion USSSA 2U Bay Bees. The high school cares what your kid brings to the table now. 

When describing any issues what he’s accomplished before last year and this year is irrelevant. People can only help by understanding the current issues. Sometimes posters overlook as the kids get older the challenge of staying in the game increases. Chances are if your kid is falling behind in high school it’s one of three things ... 1) Puberty balanced the physical playing field, 2) the kid no longer has the talent or 3) the player is getting outworked in his development by other players. There are other factors built around high school (academics, citizenship, etc) that could be reasons why a kid isn’t playing. It’s rarely the coaches fault a kid isn’t playing.

** The dream is free. Work ethic sold separately. **

Last edited by RJM
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Given how many high schools and high school players there are I’m sure we could list one hundred situations. But given the scope of the situation rarely fits. Also, it’s not uncommon for rumors to be started by uninformed parents making excuses for their kids. In our area a nearby coach screwed kids by playing his kids. Both his kids went on to play D1.

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:

My intention is not to pick on one of today’s posters. The intent is advice to parents of younger high school players or those approaching high school. The high school coach does not care how long your kid has played ball. He doesn’t care if your kid played for the World Champion USSSA 2U Bay Bees. The high school cares what your kid brings to the table now. 

When describing any issues what he’s accomplished before last year and this year is irrelevant. People can only help by understanding the current issues. Sometimes posters overlook as the kids get older the challenge of staying in the game increases. Chances are if your kid is falling behind in high school it’s one of three things ... 1) Puberty balanced the physical playing field, 2) the kid no longer has the talent or 3) the player is getting outworked in his development by other players. There are other factors built around high school (academics, citizenship, etc) that could be reasons why a kid isn’t playing. It’s rarely the coaches fault a kid isn’t playing.

In a perfect world, you are right, but there are coaches who are going to play the older kids regardless.  There is just no other explanation than age and you literally cannot earn the spot.  Those are the times I question why they bring a young kid up to let them sit on the bench.

RJM posted:

I agree with your premise that high school coaches don't care what Lil' Johnny did on last  years summer/fall travel team.   Nor should they.   This is now, and it is always the coaches lineup decision, whether or not it is his "fault" is left to be seen through the "parental lens".

I also agree with your 3 reasons for kids falling behind, however a lot of that is under the  young man's control.   The young men that really want it (high school, college baseball and beyond) will get past it and overcome some of this.   I've seen it many times over.  

We had a high school basketball coach who really liked my son as a junior. He tried desperately to play him. Said he was the hardest worker in practice, a great team member, and coach started him for a few games. Only one problem — he sucked at basketball.

Against my wishes son dropped basketball this year and became one of the leaders of the student section. He loved it. Team loved it. Eventually, I learned to love his new role.

Sometimes as a parent, you just have to give it up. And it's hard.

My kid didn't play on a 2U team but he did play a sh*t ton of TB.

So the summer between 7th and 8th grade he's playing USSSA NIT majors and middle school ball. They overlap somewhat. So on the weekend he's seeing upper 70's low 80's and rocking. Midweek he's seeing 50's  maybe 60 and out in front of everything and struggling.  Also the kid isn't a great cage hitter.

His freshman year I had to talk to the HS coach regarding an injury the kid had limiting pitch count. During this he tells me the kid can't hit. "I've seen hitters" he says "and he isn't one". My response was "we'll see".

Kid started freshman year JV. Coach had no choice but to call him up to varsity mid year (but did so reluctantly as he was very upperclassmen orientated). Joined a team going nowhere and added 2-6 runs a game hitting .491. As much as a player can he put team the on his back and took them to semi state.

My son spent the summer before his freshman year facing some of the best pitchers around. When he stepped in the batters box at the varsity level it was a wash most time, a step back sometimes, and a challenge rarely.

RJM - Good topic and of course, you are right.  HS coach doesn't care, nor should he.  And if you throw it in his face, you'll probably just annoy him.  In many ways, the travel ball culture somewhat promotes this feeling by parents (and players).  From the time our older son started in it (age 14), parents on that team routinely told us things like, 'Our sons are too good for rec leagues - it just messes them up' and 'I'm not sure our son should play HS baseball, it will introduce bad habits.'

Anyways, there probably are a few practical things that can come up when going from elite travel to HS.  A catcher who can't handle a 90+ MPH pitcher.  Tons of curve balls for hitters.  Longer innings due to errors.

I see all of these things and more as good learning experiences.  There is no doubt in the game of baseball at any level that you will have to pitch to a catcher that struggles with you (all the way up to the big leagues), have to hit a curve ball and have to get your team out of an innings due to errors behind you. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.