Skip to main content

I love this forum...thanks so much for all that contribute.  It has helped me and my 2017 son tremendously through this complex recruiting journey.  I am super excited for my son to have been recruited to several of the NESCAC schools...committed to one, and just accepted ED.  Now the fun, work, and opportunity begins on and off the baseball field at his new school after his final HS and Club season...great times ahead.

Question for those with kids currently playing NESCAC/D3 ball particularly in New England...any comments/thoughts on how things are going for your son currently (or recently finished) compared to expectations going into college? Any preview on upcoming 2017 season and beyond? Generally looking for any advice in particular from pitchers and getting looks beyond college.

Thank you again everyone and Merry Christmas to all!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Congrats CTBaseballDad and son!  Best of luck in the NESCAC in 2017, and finishing out his high school career. 

I know a handful of past, present and future NESCAC folks on this board.  All have told me it is extremely difficult freshmen year adjusting to the academic workload and competing for playing time on the baseball team.  Based on what I know of the NESCAC and how they uniquely run tryouts and practices, I think your son needs to show up in tip-top baseball shape to catch the coaches eye.  My son played in a similar conference.  His goal was to make the travel team his freshmen year and eventually win a starting position (as a weekend starting pitcher) when they started league play.  Looking back, he had a very lofty goal but you have to start somewhere. 

Academically, you can expect the baseball coaches to sit down with each freshmen player weekly to check on their grades and progress in the classroom until they can demonstrate they can handle their "business".    If the student/players is struggling, the coaches will require the player to seek tutoring and study hall that is provided to the general student population.   There is no specific or special tutoring for student athletes.

I'm sure others will chime in with either NESCAC or high academic experiences for you.  Again, congrats and good luck!

Congrats to you and your family!! Great conference and I hope you all will have a great experience. My oldest played football inthat conference a while back and had a wonderful experience. Baseball is a different animal but hopefully your sons experience will be equally fulfilling. Tough academic standards and there is a bit of an adjustment but once you get into a rhythm he will love it.

My 2016 is at Tufts U.  Just completed his first semester.  I will agree with the above poster, show up in good shape, Not so much the arm(pitchers) but your body needs to be able to handle the fall workouts.

For instance, 2016 kind of felt that coming from a large hugely successful HS program that he would be fine .  He learned quickly that every good baseball school has a good workout program.  And he was about 75% of what he should have been.

His academics this semester were 4 of 4  all A's ..... I was shocked... he worked his tail off.   You cannot go wrong picking the NESCAC route.  Contact me when he's 30 and tell me what a great decision this was

As far as pitchers getting looks after college, not many D3 pitchers get drafted, but it could happen.  Throwing mid 90's with command and you can come from any place.

Put the work in, get focused,  have a goal. 

bacdorslider posted:

My 2016 is at Tufts U.  Just completed his first semester.  I will agree with the above poster, show up in good shape, Not so much the arm(pitchers) but your body needs to be able to handle the fall workouts.

For instance, 2016 kind of felt that coming from a large hugely successful HS program that he would be fine .  He learned quickly that every good baseball school has a good workout program.  And he was about 75% of what he should have been.

His academics this semester were 4 of 4  all A's ..... I was shocked... he worked his tail off.   You cannot go wrong picking the NESCAC route.  Contact me when he's 30 and tell me what a great decision this was

As far as pitchers getting looks after college, not many D3 pitchers get drafted, but it could happen.  Throwing mid 90's with command and you can come from any place.

Put the work in, get focused,  have a goal. 

Heckuva job by your son!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.