Skip to main content

I am bringing up this topic because my 2017 was interested in the old style skull cap and mask catchers equipment.  

NFHS felt it important to reinforce the rule that the old style cap is not allowed. 

NFHS Baseball Rules

Proper Catcher’s Equipment

Because of the significant amount of exposure to thrown or batted balls and thrown bats, the catcher is involved with every pitch and most of the action at or around home plate.  It is imperative that they are properly equipped.  Prior to start of a baseball game, the head coach verifies that the players are legally and properly equipped.  The catcher’s helmet and mask combination shall meet the NOCSAE standard which includes having full ear protection with dual ear flaps.  The skull cap and mask combination does not meet the NOCSAE standard nor does it provide full ear protection with dual ear flaps and is not permitted for high school baseball.  The catcher shall wear a throat protector which is either attached or part of the catcher’s mask.  It shall adequately cover the throat.  When a non-adult is in a crouch position and is warming up a pitcher at any location he shall wear face and head protection with throat protection and a protective cup (male only).  Ensuring that the catcher is properly equipped will reduce the risk of serious injury and maximizes his enjoyment of the game.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I think a lot of the lack of enforcement comes from umpires working and players playing different rules. The only time I do HS-level ball is during the HS season, and that's in between my college schedule. Last year, I worked a HS game where it didn't occur to me until after that the home catcher was wearing a mask and helmet combination--it didn't register because I'm used to levels where they are allowed. Same goes for players; if they only use FED rules during the HS season and others during their travel/summer ball, it's not going to be apparent to them that they can't wear what they normally would.

My son prefers two piece helmets and using them exclusively for travel ball.  For MS and HS he uses a one piece.  We actually had an ump during the LEGION season claim that he had to wear a one piece.  After the game I showed him the rule book and he was pretty defensive.  Asked me why I didnt want to protect my son.  I agreed to disagree.    

CIF in SoCal also does not allow the old style skull cap and mask, and my 2017 catcher learned to accept his All Star hockey style mask.  Some kids would try to make the switch to it at playoffs time, which is just idiotic to play the whole season with one piece of equipment and then change.

Eventually, every youth organization will enforce the rule, as like everything in today's society, there is just too much liability risk for the lawsuits filed by parents of catchers who got seriously injured in the exposed area of the old style masks.  Lots of hockey players complained about having to wear helmets too but they adjusted.  So too will catchers.

Kevin A posted:

My son prefers two piece helmets and using them exclusively for travel ball.  For MS and HS he uses a one piece.  We actually had an ump during the LEGION season claim that he had to wear a one piece.  After the game I showed him the rule book and he was pretty defensive.  Asked me why I didnt want to protect my son.  I agreed to disagree.    

YadierMolina

Good enough for them, good enough for me!

BusterPosey

Attachments

Images (2)
  • BusterPosey
  • YadierMolina
Kevin A posted:

Oh.. Im not knocking one piece.  Its a matter of preference.  

And I have seen a back swing hit a catcher in MLB wearing a hockey style mask on top of the mask and he still required stitches.....

I would have to believe that the injury would have been even more significant without the hockey style mask.

Like Matt, I umpire other rules codes where the 2 piece is legal. In NFHS games its clearly not. I cant count how many times a catcher rolls out with his 2 piece helmet to catch a HS game. I always ask them where is your HSM?.

Most just turn to the dugout and go get the proper headgear.   but some say :

• this isn't legal?
  • I never knew that!
  • I've been using it all year...
  • No other umpire says I cant!

Don't do that.........

piaa_ump posted:

Like Matt, I umpire other rules codes where the 2 piece is legal. In NFHS games its clearly not. I cant count how many times a catcher rolls out with his 2 piece helmet to catch a HS game. I always ask them where is your HSM?.

Most just turn to the dugout and go get the proper headgear.   but some say :

• this isn't legal?
  • I never knew that!
  • I've been using it all year...
  • No other umpire says I cant!

Don't do that.........

I ended up working my first non-college game of the season yesterday...a sophomore game. About the third inning, I had that "Oh, shit" moment where I realized I didn't notice what the catchers were wearing. Thankfully, both had HSMs.

been there ...done that Matt.........

more embarrassing to us than anyone else, but it always happens on that day when I'm on top of everything, got my lineup cards in order, all my housekeeping details done.....and a coach asks is he allowed to wear that mask combo?................turn and look....and ...well No, he isn't....

Why does PIAA and NFHS not allow catchers to wear 2 piece masks, but they DO allow the umpires to wear 2 piece masks.  I have never seen a player get hit in the ear during a game, but my son has suffered 3 concussions from foul tips while catching, and I feel strongly that these hockey style masks played a part in his concussions.  He just took his 3rd blow on Tuesday, and is currently suffering pretty badly.  A catcher has approximately 80 to 120 chances per 7 inning game to get hit in the front of the mask.  If a catcher is setup properly, they should never take a back swing from a batter. I don't understand their reasoning.

PIAA follows the NFHS rules explicitly. Therefore we have no choice but to enforce the Helmet rule.

For quite a while now the NFHS has determined that the 2 piece mask and helmet expose student athletes to a greater risk of injury. They helmets must be NOCSAE approved and have full ear protection (dual ear flaps) and a throat protector.

Due to the many games at many levels I have called, I have seen many catchers hit on backswings and have taken balls to the ear and throat. Like you said that can come from a poorly trained catching stance, but it does happen often enough regardless of skill sets.

There is a lot of talk recently about the protective quality of the HSM and its role in concussions.  I don't think there is any consensus as to whether or not they add or subtract from the potential for concussion.  I do think they are far more protective against the back swing and ball hits caused by poor catching mechanics.

There are some newer products out on the market that are trying to increase protection, but the nature of the game is the ball hits the catcher and umpire. The best that can be done is to reduce the potential injury. And that's what I think is behind the NFHS rules that favor the HSM. A company called Force3 is making a mask with springs to try and off set the force transmitted to the player.   

The Catchers position is a dangerous one, and being hit by the ball is inevitable. NFHS rules are made to make baseball as safe for student athletes as is possible but nothing is foolproof.  

As to Umpires, the choice is left up to us to choose our protective gear as we have to provide our own gear to call games. We are mostly considered sub contractors, so the rule does not apply to us. I will admit I tried a HSM but did not find any advantage over my professional gear choice.       

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.