Skip to main content

Looking for opinions on whether my 2016 RHP should attend the PG 2015 WWBA World Championship in Jupiter this October. He has already verbally committed to a D1 School and plans on signing his NLI this November. Also, he is not looking to upgrade his college choice and is very happy to where he will be going next year.

Just trying to understand if there are any benefits of attending. I really do not think that if he is drafted next year it will be high enough for him to skip school. Currently he consistently throws 87-91 and maxes out at around 93 mph.

He has been offered to play on a very competitive team for this tournament, but I am kind of leaning to not attending. However, I am interested in opinions from people with similar situations. Thank You.  

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

FastBall:  Very good question.  We are in the same exact position with my 2016 RHP, although he is Ivy League bound and sits 87-88 and tops out at 90 as of July.  We have debated and gone back and forth.  He does not expect to be drafted and, even if he is...well, same as your son, he is going to school.  He was indifferent to Jupiter or even leaning toward not going as of July.  However, 3 things happened:

1. He hit 90 for the first time

2. His personal pitching / arm care / velo instructors told him he really, really should go (for the experience, so some scouts can see him and..who knows...maybe decide to track his progress next Spring and, of course, in the coming years) and

3. He received a couple inquiries/questionnaires from pro scouts during/after a couple of PG events this summer

Number 3. above is not a big deal, I know.  But, all three of the above combined with all he has heard about Jupiter led him to change his mind.  He also has the goal of adding a couple ticks to his max velo, is working extremely hard right now and Jupiter is great place to see if he can see a jump.  All of this said, if I decided that I wanted to talk him out of it (I don't), I think he could be swayed.

I would very much like to hear what others (PGStaff??) have to say about this.  I thought about starting this same thread.  I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, assuming that it is affordable for you.

I will echo RedFish and Bolts opinion.  If your son will be in condition at that time of year, do not pass up this experience.  You really have to see it to believe it.  There are a couple of threads on this site right now talking about velocity.  Well, you have never seen as many 90++ arms in one place.  It seems like every kid I saw threw 90 or better.  PG confirmed that later as there were something like 185 kids that broke the 90mph barrier.  Just unbelievable!!

I can't answer any question reagrding the advantage of attending.  That is always an unknown!  I can say a large majority of the most talented kids are there every year. and as someone else mentioned, you are likely to see more MLB scouts and college coaches at this event than you might see your entire life combined.

I've often been asked to describe the WWBA Championship in Jupiter. I always answer the same way, it is the most unusual baseball event in the World. Those that have been there would probably agree. It is an event that the players will never forget. The past players from this event include large percentage of the current Big Leaguers and many of the very best Major League players.

For many it is about the draft. For some it is to show college coaches (committed or not) something more. For some it is just about the competition.  and for many it is simply the experience. You just have to see it in order to believe it. It is a baseball circus.

If you are not ready physically to pitch, don't come. Not even this event is worth suffering a serious arm injury. But it is almost worth coming just to watch and say that you have been there.

I hope nobody reads this as some type sales pitch. If there was ever an event that doesn't need to be promoted this is it.  We know we won't get every great prospect there each year, but it really doesn't change anything.

Originally Posted by younggun:

I will echo RedFish and Bolts opinion.  If your son will be in condition at that time of year, do not pass up this experience.  You really have to see it to believe it.  There are a couple of threads on this site right now talking about velocity.  Well, you have never seen as many 90++ arms in one place.  It seems like every kid I saw threw 90 or better.  PG confirmed that later as there were something like 185 kids that broke the 90mph barrier.  Just unbelievable!!

youngun:

I hear you and totally agree.  The number of 90+ kids is/will be amazing.  But, on the other hand, kids who are not quite 90 yet should not be shy about going, either.  I looked at 2014 velos today from last year's Jupiter.  Yes, tons and tons of 90+.  But, given all I've heard, I was actually surprised a bit.  There were some very well known programs in the country who didn't have many (or any!) that hit 90+.  Assuming PG's data is correct, here are just a few examples below.  I share this not to counter or disagree with you at all, but because I was actually very surprised:

CBA Marucci - Zero 90+ (this one jumped out at me)

Baseball U - 1

Dallas Patriots - 0

Dirtbags (NC) - 1

Dulin Dodgers - 2

East Cobb Astros - 2 (out of 14 total P that threw)

Florida Burn - 2 (out of 15 Ps)

Homeplate Chilidogs - 1

Houston Heat - 1

Marucci Elite - 2

Ontario Blue Jays - 1

Richmond Braves - 0

SGV Arsenal - 0

South Charlotte Panthers - 0

St. Louis Gamers - 0

Probably too much time on my hands today to have done this...but...

Last edited by BucsFan
Originally Posted by BucsFan:

That may be "technically" true, but it's probably because the 90+ kids for CBA Marucci were busy with other events this year (i.e., AC Games, Team USA, PG All American, UA All American, etc.).  I know of at least one CBA kid (not mine...I wish!) that hit 93.8 this year at the PG AA game (yes, they actually use tenths now).  He wasn't representing CBA at the time, so those numbers are probably not attributed to the organization.

Originally Posted by GHHS-2016LHP:
Originally Posted by BucsFan:

....but it's probably because the 90+ kids for CBA Marucci were busy with other events this year (i.e., AC Games, Team USA, PG All American, UA All American, etc.).  I know of at least one CBA kid (not mine...I wish!) that hit 93.8 this year at the PG AA game...

Not sure what you mean by the above.  Why would it matter what they were doing this year?  The data was from the Jupiter event late October 2014. (And, you don't have to convince me of the quality of the program; I'm well aware it, and that is why it caught my attention.  In fact, seeing no 90+ from CBA Marucci is what compelled me to look at all others).

Last edited by BucsFan
I believe out of 85 teams last year, I counted approx 165 kids who were 90+.
Last year was our first Jupiter experience. WOW, what a shock it was to be at the LARGEST gathering of talented ball players in one place.
I have never seen SO MANY 6'-2+" 200 lb kids in my life.
Cannot wait to experience it again.
2016SouthPaw is excited as is 2016SouthPawDad
BucsFan, I wasn't meaning to imply that if you aren't a 90+ guy don't come. I was simply using that number because if the threads about inflated velo. If you don't think there are a lot of young power arms, just show up there. That was my point.  Last fall, on son's ECB Astros team, we had, we had 5 pitchers I know that topped out 90 or above. Now we did carry 17-18 pitchers, so there where many more sub 90 than above 90. Like PG said, it is a baseball circus. Don't worry Jerry, you ain't having to sell that event. I challenge anyone to go and see it with their eyes and not come away impressed. My son had the good fortune to go twice. I was blown away both times.
Not that it is a big deal, but the Astros team you are referencing was probably the " younger" team. My son's team I think was called East Cobb Baseball and was made up of 2015s. The Astros were mostly 2016s. So even more impressive that they had 2 90+ guys that were just beginning their junior year of high school. Son's team was also missing another 90+ guy that has played with ECB for many years. He was their with a different team for some reason. We should have made a lot more noise in Jupiter. The bats went flat that week. That team was loaded with some serious offensive power. We were also missing our CF that was a first round pick this past draft. Anyway, fond memories that I would encourage anyone with the opportunity not to pass up.
Younggun: I TOTALLY get what you are saying and agree. Didn't for a second think you were suggesting sub 90 guys shouldn't go.  Was just sharing what I found to be some interesting and surprising data.  I agreed with your sentiment so much so that I would have assumed half the Ps on every team were 90+.

Many top pitchers actually do shut down that time of year.  Many others shut down right after this event.  I would say that most highest level pitchers and players play in the fall. This just happens to be the biggest amateur event in the fall. Sometimes we miss some football players, however we have also had football players show up and play. Seldom do you see pitchers throw more than 3 or 4 innings. Some of the teams are sponsored and run by MLB organizations and run by scouts.  Other teams are outstanding organizations and most of them recruit additional pitching for this event.

Most pitchers are taking at least two or three months off during the year. Some shut down in July. Some shut down at the end of October.  We even know some that shut down for August and September. Pitch some in October and shut down again for November and December. A lot has to do with where they live.

This is a fall event, it wouldn't be what it is at any other time of the year.  There are other big events that take place in the summer.  Pretty much all the best organizations play in the fall, with or without this event.  Based on the talent and the number of scouts and recruiters that show up, this has proven to be a great time to hold this event.  It wouldn't be anywhere near the same if held any other time of the year. Every year we miss some very good players and pitchers for one reason or another including some that have shut down.  No problem with that, for the most part, the majority of the best kids are there. Many have greatly improved their position by showing well in this tournament.  It is impossible to do well and go unnoticed.

Once again, pitchers should not be there unless they are ready to pitch.  While it is a great opportunity, there certainly isn't any punishment involved for those that miss it. Though there is one thing that does bother most everyone... That is when a player's reason for not coming is because he doesn't want to take the chance of lowering his stock with a bad performance.  Nobody wants to hear that!  Missing the event isn't likely to hurt a player, but that excuse could leave a big red flag. We have even seen college coaches that are POed because their recruit wasn't there.  Then again there are college coaches that hope their recruit isn't there, for obvious reasons, the draft!

I have mentioned before that we have had some issues with agents telling their kids not to attend and they don't need to be there. That is fine if there is a good reason and it's good advice.  However, in some cases they are only interested in making sure they don't lose their player.  After all, it's very easy to change advisors and most of the biggest and best agencies are there at this event.

Last edited by PGStaff

No, I would not say it like that at all.

If you have the ability, I would go enhance or reinforce my position with my peers. Second, I would go to support my team if my team is going. Third, I think that it is a good chance to show your college coach, if you are committed, that you are willing to put your skills to the test.  4th, if you do have some draft aspirations, then this is a perfect place to show your skills at yet another event.

JUST GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RedFishFool

"It is the most unusual baseball event in the World. Those that have been there would probably agree. It is an event that the players will never forget."

Without a doubt.

Fact is, any ball player who has a potentially high ceiling not only needs to be there ... he should be begging to go. Committed or not, IMO.

Here's what's funny: Two years ago JP's mom took him. Last year it was me.

This year neither of us wants to miss it!

Uno mas plane ticket! Jupiter, here we come!

p.s. -- JP's not a pitcher, so we don't have to think about his arm. Still, my two cents: Go.

pabaseballdad,

Years ago I would tell you that Jupiter would be the easy choice. However things have really changed with college recruiting.  At one time very few recruiters would attend the underclass events.  Now they come in big numbers, including many of the top college programs in the country.  The landscape has changed and colleges more and more are recruiting underclassmen.

Perhaps the biggest difference between the two is the number of MLB scouts is astounding at the Jupiter event and not nearly big many at the underclass.  The underclass event is not quite as high profile as Jupiter.  

Some depends on just how talented the player is.  If he is a potential early draft and already made a college commitment you will be happy with both, but obviously Jupiter would be better.  

Actually BucsFan suggestion makes sense.  Even though it might not be necessary or even the best choice... I just wish every good player could experience Jupiter before they graduate from high school. It's probably something they will never forget no matter where their baseball career takes them.  Nothing fancy about it, it is as grass roots as high level baseball can get. Just much different than anything else I have experienced in baseball.

My 2016's fall team last year tried to qualify for this, but didn't make it, unfortunately. The organization he is playing for this year does already have at least one invite, but he will have to "earn" a roster spot. I am REALLY hoping he has a great fall and is chosen. If not, he has submitted an application for an individual invite, but has not heard anything. Does anyone know when you would hear if an individual app was accepted or not? And, what is the cost for an individual invite?

My son was not committed his first time but Kevin O'Sullivan found him on blue field 7!

The following year he was committed but had not signed his NLI, so for him it was a pre draft event.  He loved it so much he coached a PG team one year. Ironically one of the dads from here son was on his team.

For many years,  I have attended quite a few and have met some great people from here. 

There is no doubt that this is an event like no other.  Unlike other events, this takes place all in one place. You will never experience anything like this again. DK went in 2002 and 2003 and I am still talking about it!

How wonderful we have so many of our websters sons attending this year!

Last edited by TPM
Originally Posted by Enjoying the Ride:

I am curious about what is behind the timing of this event. Isn't this a time of year when most pitchers would benefit from shutting down?  For such a big and important event, it does not seem to be ideally timed from an arm health perspective. 

You have to plan accordingly if you are a pitcher. 

Originally Posted by FastBall25:

He has already verbally committed to a D1 School and plans on signing his NLI this November. Also, he is not looking to upgrade his college choice and is very happy to where he will be going next year.

My 2015 was in a similar situation last year ... I'm glad we went to Jupiter.  Obviously, as you're reading, it's a very special event.  Since your boy is already committed to a D1, I would consider this a great opportunity to impress his new coaches.  My son pitched there twice last year, and his College HC and PC were in attendance for both outings.  He pitched well and got a couple of nice "atta boys" from them after the game, which was nice.

Also, my son got to meet several other commits to his College that he stayed in touch with over his senior year, including his current Freshman roommate!  Made the transition this summer a little easier.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

GO, it's awesome. Son went last year with Toronto's scout team and we had a blast. He was picked up on that team since his summer team wasnt going and only threw a few innings but did well against the Evoshield Canes. He went because, although committed he was being considered for the draft. He got a chance to throw against the best team in the country and post some really good numbers on the Trackman.

http://www.baseballamerica.com...ackman-leaderboards/

In retrospect, i think i would have preferred he go with a team and get a chance to start but he had a great time and will remember it forever. BTW, he also saw his RC there and caught up with him for a bit. 

Last edited by Shoveit4Ks

You may want to contact his future D1 coach for input on this.   After our son committed in July they requested that he shutdown for a couple months, so he will not be attending this year. He is a LHP headed to an IVY and did get to go last year.  If the coach has no problem with him throwing that late into the fall it is worth the trip.

SO TRUE --"I just wish every good player could experience Jupiter before they graduate from high school. It's probably something they will never forget no matter where their baseball career takes them"

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.