Skip to main content

I am a newbie, so please accept my apologies up front if I have posted to the wrong area.  We have a situation where we have a player on the JV team at his school in Texas but he is also playing on a tournament team.  Glancing through the UIL rules, I could not really see anything that actually prevented him from doing that, but yet we had always "heard" that it wasn't allowed and the players could not do that.  Does anyone know for sure?  Could they have possibly meant Varsity players, or are they able to play as well? Any answers and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I doubt if there are any rules to prevent this, but HS coach would likely not like this at all.  There are unwritten rules that Select team ball starts after HS, as there is always a concern for injury and overuse, (especially with pitchers).  If your son gets hurt playing on the weekend the HS coach will get very angry and make it harder for him and others to play on team in the Summer.  That is why there is an unwritten truce.  

Originally Posted by Aleebaba:

I doubt if there are any rules to prevent this, but HS coach would likely not like this at all.  There are unwritten rules that Select team ball starts after HS, as there is always a concern for injury and overuse, (especially with pitchers).  If your son gets hurt playing on the weekend the HS coach will get very angry and make it harder for him to play on team in the Summer.  That us why there is an unwritten truce.  

Thank you! 

Your best bet is to contact UIL directly. Darryl Beasley, asst. ath. dir.,

512-471-5883, dbeasley@uiltexas.org

You may want to consider the coaches position, if the JV player would be considered for a move to Varsity come playoff time.  

I'm in Dallas, & unless it is a reversal or a very recent change, I don't believe UIL would allow it. I know Varsity players could not. 

Son did attend a couple tournaments/showcases in the fall, missing a day of school each time due to travel, no problem. College visits were usually fall, too. (2002-2006)

UIL does not govern activities outside of school;

May students participate in non-school activities?

Answer: Students may participate in non-school activities at anytime. This means that a student may play, practice or

praticipate in a try-out for non-school teams

The statement above was copied directly from the baseball manual in the Q&A section. The manual can be viewed on http://www.uiltexas.org/baseball.

Had this come up for the first time last year and there were no real problems. Kid was a catcher. He did not miss his HS games. Only time it affected him was he had a weekend tourn and did not get in until 2-3 a.m. Monday morning and we had a district game Monday afternoon. He was dragging after 4 tourn games and getting in lat and then playing that Monday

I would think that any HS kid that skipped a school practice or game, would very quickly find himself playing for the showcase team only, so there would be no further conflicts. Time spent at HS practice or games would not be "outside of school". School activities come first. I haven't seen much of this problem beyond freshman ball. Once you get to the older, the tounaments don't typically start till June, do they? My son's team will start practices in early May, but always on Saturday or Sunday as his summer coach is also a HS head coach,

Thank you for all of the great answers....  Just to clarify....

There is no conflict between the high school team and the tournament team.  High school games and practices are during the week.  Tournament games are on the weekend.  We had always heard that it was the coaches that didn't want their players playing and getting hurt outside of school, and then we heard that it was a UIL rule, but the UIL rules for texas do not actually state whether they can or cannot play during a district season.  They do say it is ok for the boys to play during the off-season.  We were just trying to see if it was actually in black and white somewhere.

JeffLovin,

My opinion only, but kids need an adequate amount of down time/ recovery time & study time. There is truth to the saying "there's only so many bullets in the holster"...During HS season, 2 games a week + 1-1/2 to 2 hrs a day practice, during a week seems like plenty of playing time for kids under 18 & not in College. After HS season is done, there's 3-4 days a week until mid Nov.  That's still a lot of innings, AB's or whatever. When he gets to college baseball will consume abt 30-40 hrs. per week, inclusive of games. 

Hopefully I'm not stepping on toes, just considering a youngun's all around development & the changes they go through in the teen years. Son ate, slept & breathed baseball, (& now a minor leaguer)...but he...(we) took time to "go fishing", goof off, canoe, camp out, occasionally.

Hope your son has a great season!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.