Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Received an email from Texas Baseball Ranch today...from the email:

"...And more and more people are utilizing different variations of belts to train their athletes how to rotate and utilize their lower half. A new version of it seems to pop up every month or so…with a couple even asking me for my endorsement or support. At the Texas Baseball Ranch, we use the Power Core 360 Complete Training System™ that utilizes not only a hip component, but also a trunk component. We felt this was a crucial improvement over a single belt."

I mentioned the idea of the strength training pyramid in another post a few months ago, if any cares to search.

I would put this at the very tippy top of the pyramid, meaning it could be useful - but only if you already are taking care of the levels below the top of the pyramid, like general physical preparedness, core strength training movements, then more baseball specific training (example - rotational training with med balls).  If those are taken care of, then, maybe, this would be useful.

To be fair though, I have not used this with any athletes.

Matt Reiland posted:

I mentioned the idea of the strength training pyramid in another post a few months ago, if any cares to search.

I would put this at the very tippy top of the pyramid, meaning it could be useful - but only if you already are taking care of the levels below the top of the pyramid, like general physical preparedness, core strength training movements, then more baseball specific training (example - rotational training with med balls).  If those are taken care of, then, maybe, this would be useful.

So, Matt, maybe you can provide some additional advice.  Apologies to others for diversion of OP but I didn't want to PM and prevent others from any shared information.  Our HS field is not at the HS campus and the campus fitness facility is too small and lacks proper equipment anyway.  We try to put together a plan each winter for pre-season conditioning.  We have very little equipment and the workouts are at the field.  We have cones, agility ladders, med balls, j-bands, a few tires and a few nice hills.  With these circumstances, what would you recommend as a basic 6-8 week program?  We typically get 20-25 kids (not playing winter sports) that span a wide array of physical condition.  This is combined V and JV.

I could tell you what we typically do but I would prefer to get a fresh perspective.  You mention the pyramid... please also identify those activities that are more essential than others.

Prospect2020TX posted:

Received an email from Texas Baseball Ranch today...from the email:

"...And more and more people are utilizing different variations of belts to train their athletes how to rotate and utilize their lower half. A new version of it seems to pop up every month or so…with a couple even asking me for my endorsement or support. At the Texas Baseball Ranch, we use the Power Core 360 Complete Training System™ that utilizes not only a hip component, but also a trunk component. We felt this was a crucial improvement over a single belt."

This is where I found the information also, but this device actually has been around for a while since 2011?   I don't see it as a panacea, but think it may be a useful tool to help with a few movement patterns. 

I wonder if Kyle has used this in his facility.

Well.  Looks like Lance has figured out the the PC360 exists and he's jealous.   He sends out this email,

Hey Ron. It's me. Lantz.  I heard what you said about my belt.  That's why I said those nasty things about your sweater vest. I heard you got a belt now, too. That's awesome. When you take a break from the many endorsements you're being offered, take a few minutes and read this letter I wrote you.   Hope it helps.

This is why, though I own a CVB, I cannot stand Wheeler and won't buy another thing from him.   If my son is recruited by one of these many coaches that he lists as his friends and colleagues, I've got to do some serious considering about them personally and whether I'd want my son in their program.

If you have the choice, buy the PC360.  Save money.  Get just as good of a product and don't deal with an overgrown high school bully.

cabbagedad posted:
Matt Reiland posted:

So, Matt, maybe you can provide some additional advice.  Apologies to others for diversion of OP but I didn't want to PM and prevent others from any shared information.  Our HS field is not at the HS campus and the campus fitness facility is too small and lacks proper equipment anyway.  We try to put together a plan each winter for pre-season conditioning.  We have very little equipment and the workouts are at the field.  We have cones, agility ladders, med balls, j-bands, a few tires and a few nice hills.  With these circumstances, what would you recommend as a basic 6-8 week program?  We typically get 20-25 kids (not playing winter sports) that span a wide array of physical condition.  This is combined V and JV.

I could tell you what we typically do but I would prefer to get a fresh perspective.  You mention the pyramid... please also identify those activities that are more essential than others.

For those interested, and to not hijack this thread, I posted a response to cabbagedad's question here: http://community.hsbaseballweb...on-team-conditioning

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.