Skip to main content

I'm a 2020 player who is 5'8 and 140 LBS. I'm projected to be 5'10. I run a 7.4 60, throw low 70's from the outfield, and pitch low to mid 70's from the mound. My exit velocity is 77-79 MPH. I was wondering what level I am projected to play at with these stats. Also, are these measurables decent for my age?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey BBcomes3rd,

I just posted in another thread answering a question from a player your age with somewhat similar numbers.  I think some of the post applies to your questions...  check it out...

http://community.hsbaseballweb...76#46910925149723576

Also, those measurable are decent.  You still have a ways to go before there would be any college interest.  You are still quite young and it's difficult to project how much more strength, speed and velo you will pick up without seeing you.  Heck, it's even difficult then.  What we do know is that you are not an early bloomer stud targeted as a surefire D1 or draft.  Beyond that, much will be up to you.

cabbagedad posted:

Hey BBcomes3rd,

I just posted in another thread answering a question from a player your age with somewhat similar numbers.  I think some of the post applies to your questions...  check it out...

http://community.hsbaseballweb...76#46910925149723576

Also, those measurable are decent.  You still have a ways to go before there would be any college interest.  You are still quite young and it's difficult to project how much more strength, speed and velo you will pick up without seeing you.  Heck, it's even difficult then.  What we do know is that you are not an early bloomer stud targeted as a surefire D1 or draft.  Beyond that, much will be up to you.

Cabbagedad, is 10th grade still "Quite Young"?

CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Caco, I think your son is at a different place in his path in regards to his numbers, size/projectability and current skill set.  So, while this age/grade is quite young for most, it is not for all.  

So if a kid is an early bloomer he is on a different timeline than other kids in his class?

If he's also talented enough, yes.  Is this a trick question?

cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Caco, I think your son is at a different place in his path in regards to his numbers, size/projectability and current skill set.  So, while this age/grade is quite young for most, it is not for all.  

So if a kid is an early bloomer he is on a different timeline than other kids in his class?

If he's also talented enough, yes.  Is this a trick question?

No trick, just learning.

CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:

I would say that is accurate.  Colleges usually hold 1-2 spots for late bloomers.  I've heard that the high D1's are mostly done with 2018's and the focus is on the 19's, 20's and 21's and I believe that is true for the most part.  If you look at the PG recent commits you will still see 5 or 6 2018 commits to SEC schools in the last week. 

Caco, I will use this as an example.  One of my son's teammates is a 2019 with some D1 offers.  The kid is pretty much full grown and is a great player right now.  He will still get stronger but I think if you are recruiting him you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting.  For them, they feel like whatever he has in the form of offers now is the same as what he will have next year. 

My son and your son are tall lanky guys.  It may be two more years before they start reaching the majority of their potential and it may be even longer than that.  I think our kids are definitely on a different timeline than the kid that I mentioned above. 

d-mac posted:

Caco, I will use this as an example.  One of my son's teammates is a 2019 with some D1 offers.  The kid is pretty much full grown and is a great player right now.  He will still get stronger but I think if you are recruiting him you have a pretty good idea of what you are getting.  For them, they feel like whatever he has in the form of offers now is the same as what he will have next year. 

My son and your son are tall lanky guys.  It may be two more years before they start reaching the majority of their potential and it may be even longer than that.  I think our kids are definitely on a different timeline than the kid that I mentioned above. 

Throw in a potential 12-18 month differential in age and it is almost as though the kids are really in different graduating classes.  Big difference in a young 15 yo compared to an older 16 yo playing JV ball during their sophomore year.

CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:

yes

3and2Fastball posted:

A vast majority of college Baseball opportunities are not Power 5 spots.   A huge amount of college Baseball players aren't recruited until the summer before their senior year of high school.  Thus a 2020 is still "quite young" in the big picture of things

True.  But solid skills/tools merged with advanced current physical size can dictate quicker route to D1 interest-offers.  This is the minority of recruited baseball players.

Hi BCT,

You're a Soph beginning this Fall.  As Cabbage says, you're not an early bloomer nor do you have off the charts "measureables" right now.   And that's ok.  That's the norm for most teenage boys your age. 

The boys who are early bloomers and/or have great baseball tools right now likely have some offers and an understanding of the types of college opportunities they should be pursuing.

You don't project anywhere right now and I wouldn't sweat it.  Most rising Sophs do not.  The question of if or where you'll play college baseball starts with you and your development (physical, emotional, academic, baseball). 

You can do the following:

- Get bigger, faster, and stronger

- Eat right.  Get enough sleep. 

- Keep your social media clean.  Be a solid citizen.

- Develop your individual baseball skills (batting, throwing, fielding, etc.)

- Develop your team baseball skills and baseball IQ

- Get better grades.  Take a robust curriculum.  Maximize your standardized test scores.

- Start getting a sense for the types of colleges that interest you (e.g., 2 vs. 4 year, geographic location, size of school, majors / minors, etc.)

Much of the above is individual work.  Getting team playing experience is definitely important, but a lot of the above is on you.

Can you be 5'9", 170 lbs. next summer?  Can all your baseball measureables be improved?  Can you get great grades?  Can you begin researching some colleges to get a sense of what interests you?

If you'll play or what level you'll play at can better be answered by where you are this time next year as a rising Junior.  And again as a rising Senior. 

Some schools will be off the table.  That's life.  They recruit too early for where you are right now.  And I'll respectfully disagree with D-MAC, IMHO schools do not usually hold spots for potential future late bloomers.  Colleges recruit and fill slots with "commits" and that timeline continues to move earlier and earlier. 

BCT, Good luck!  Work hard, work smart, and there will be opportunities for you.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.