Skip to main content

Just returned from the Rising Prospects National Camp in San Bernardino Last weekend and want to share some thoughts/experiences.

Roughly 30+ colleges in attendance from all the different levels (very well represented). Hosted at San Manuel Stadium (very nice Minor League park). Couldn't be happier with the experience! Top Notch Facilities, Well run and well attended Camp that we wouldn't hesitate to return to.

It was a Sat/Sun camp with about 150 total kids attending and was broken up into 3 groups of 2 teams each. So, basically 50 kids in each of the 3 sessions each day.

Session 1: 7:00am to 11:30am

Session 2: 11:15am to 3:45pm

Session 3: 3:30pm to 8:00pm

Stretching/warm up, BP and a game on day 1. Stretching/warm up, defense and a game on day 2 (for each session). Optimal number of kids on the field each session for the RC's to evaluate. With enough going on to keep everyone busy w/o it being a complete cluster...lol. Everything remained on schedule throughout the day. Games were 10 innings and each kid got to play 5 innings each game with roughly 3 AB's each game (different pitcher each AB). Everything flowed like clockwork! probably one of the most enjoyable camp experience my kid has had to date (we've been to a few camps....first time at rising prospects).

Recruiting presentation/Q&A for the parents on day 1 and a presentation/Q&A session regarding the mental aspects of the game and guiding your player through the process on day 2 with a guy named Mario Soto (sports psychologist) . If you've never heard Mario speak...he alone was worth the price of admission (almost...lol).

Total camp cost was $550 which includes emailed/posted measurable numbers (60 time, arm strength across the diamond, etc.). Also includes a professionally done highlight video to be delivered a couple weeks after the camp. Can't imagine the video will be any less impressive than the camp was!

Extremely refreshing to attend one of these that was so well run and actually worth the cost. All the staff involved were friendly, accommodating and really seemed to have the best interest of the kids in mind. If one of these ever makes it to your town or you don't mind traveling to one, definitely worth consideration!

Big shout out to Andy Rojo the camp Director...Thanks Andy!

http://www.risingprospects.com/page/show/882549-home 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hey Bogey (can I choose a birdie or eagle? lol)-

There was plenty of opportunity for participant interaction with Coach's. There were a couple coach's out in the field during games (instructing/talking to the kids) and the rest were positioned either behind the plate or in chairs along the dugouts. No real 'get together' time outlined, but a kid could certainly chat up a coach if they so desired.

We haven't been to Headfirst or Stanford so I can't draw any comparisons, all I can really say is that Rising Prospects was a pleasant experience for us compared to other options we have tried.

My son just attended the Rising Prospects Academic camp this past weekend.  Desertduck is spot on with his assessment.  My son's first camp and he was one of 2 2020 grads in the first session I think.  I know he is young for an Academic camp, but this was close, and I wanted him to get a feel for how the camps are before we go down this path. 

The camp was well organized.  I learned a lot from the recruiting presentation.   A couple of coaches took time to talk and instruct my son.   I would definitely have my son go again next year.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.