Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by Coach_Sampson:
Originally Posted by SultanofSwat:

If he's at 2B, there's no way the umpire would consider that interference, and the runner should not be out.

What if the SS is coming behind him to make a play on the ball?

Then the runner on base would have had time to get out of the way, and he would be out, I guess.

As I've stated before, I'm not an umpire, but a coach. However, this one is not particularly hard (plus it's one of the things that we explain to our players in high school and summer).

freddy77 and jjk have already given the correct answer. Why SultanofSwat insists that they are wrong is beyond me.

Essentially the base only protects the runner from being tagged out (assuming he is entitled to the base; example: no force situation). It does NOT protect the runner from being called out for being hit by a batted ball (just as if he is running between the bases and is hit).

Exceptions being an infield fly, or if the ball has passed or touched an infielder (although in FED, the runner can still be called out if the ball has touched or passed an infielder, IF the umpire believes that another fielder has a play).

(FED 8-4-2-k, OBR 7.08f)

The answer could be "safe" or "out" depending on such items as:

What rules code?

Was it intentional?

Was it an infield fly?

Was the infield in or back?

Did the ball go immediately by a fielder other than the pitcher?

Did another fielder have an opportunity to make a play?

But, I will say that the base is not "a safe haven", and if R2 would have been out if he was off the base, then he's out if he's on the base (except in the infield fly situation).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.