Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My 2017 attended both HeadFirst and Showball showcases in 2016.  I would say that if your son is focused on academic schools and willing to pursue D3 options, HF is the much better camp to attend.  There is more coach interaction and a better opportunity to have a chance to talk to any coach that attends HF with the way the games are set-up and played.  Showball has more D1 options and there are coaches around working the field in the drills but not as many in the dugouts as HF has.  The interaction at Showball is more random (i.e. your son may be an IF but the coach he really wants to impress is working with the OF group) and the games are really rushed.  And Showball does not allow dual positions in the games like HF does.  That is a big drawback if your son both plays a position and pitches as my son does. 

I don't regret sending him to Showball, but at a cost very close to HF, I would say HF is the better option, particularly if your son will be a Senior next year and does not have any serious D1 interest by their Junior year baseball season.  But if your son is a Sophomore and might be D1 viable and wants to go that route, then Showball would cast a wider net of schools.

SanDiegoRealist posted:

Got the inside skinny (not posted on their website yet):

July 17-18 - Long Island, NY

July 20-21 - Orange, CA

August 8-9 - Long Island NY (High Academic Camp)

November 4-5 - Lakeland, FL

November 4-5 - Orange, CA

Why would you release info that hasnt been confirmed by the company Yet?  Just curious.

TPM posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:

Got the inside skinny (not posted on their website yet):

July 17-18 - Long Island, NY

July 20-21 - Orange, CA

August 8-9 - Long Island NY (High Academic Camp)

November 4-5 - Lakeland, FL

November 4-5 - Orange, CA

Why would you release info that hasnt been confirmed by the company Yet?  Just curious.

tentative, just a heads up would make sense to me.

I was just curious, if you know them and it's OK, why did you delete it from your original post.

FYI, the Lakeland event is held in 2016 at the school where my son is a coach, so the company is legit.  I just think that when someone gives me info not published yet, unless they said it's OK and confirmed, I would hold off until publication.

No harm, just understand that it's a big wide baseball small world out there.

Looks like the Academic Camp is confirmed for 7/17 - 7/18 2017:

http://www.showballbaseball.co...ademic-Showcase-Camp

Interestingly, Headfirst has a new showcase at exactly the same time and same city (Long Islang, NY). These two showcases are apparently going head-to-head, competing for both the players and coaches. Showball already listed coaches. It'll be interesting to see if the same coach's name shows up on Headfirst.  

Bogeyorpar posted:

Looks like the Academic Camp is confirmed for 7/17 - 7/18 2017:

http://www.showballbaseball.co...ademic-Showcase-Camp

Interestingly, Headfirst has a new showcase at exactly the same time and same city (Long Islang, NY). These two showcases are apparently going head-to-head, competing for both the players and coaches. Showball already listed coaches. It'll be interesting to see if the same coach's name shows up on Headfirst.  

Thanks for the heads up Bogey.  I think this is the one we'll go to....

OP's insider secrets are proven to be right one by one. Now Showball is showing the Aug 8-9 High Academic Camp.

Interesting twist -- they call it "Head Coach Academic Camp". Although only 30 coaches, they are all Head Coaches!

This camp is in direct competition with the Headfirst NY session 3. So I guess there will be only assistant coaches in Headfirst session 3.

That's a healthy mix of D1 and D3 programs. 

Just checking what I think I'm beginning to understand about this process: 

* The D3s will be seriously looking at rising seniors that the D1s seem to be passing on.

* The D1s will be getting final looks at the rising seniors they're considering, and taking early looks at rising juniors

Does that seem accurate?  If so, and you have a rising junior who has D1 aspirations at a high academic school, this camp would seem to be an excellent choice. 

smokeminside posted:

That's a healthy mix of D1 and D3 programs. 

Just checking what I think I'm beginning to understand about this process: 

* The D3s will be seriously looking at rising seniors that the D1s seem to be passing on.

* The D1s will be getting final looks at the rising seniors they're considering, and taking early looks at rising juniors

Does that seem accurate?  If so, and you have a rising junior who has D1 aspirations at a high academic school, this camp would seem to be an excellent choice. 

Concur with observations for the Academic on July 17-18, but I was unable to open up the Head Coach Academic, took me to a login page.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.