Skip to main content

My son is a 2015 sophomore and a LHP for a high school in Santa Clarita, CA.  I've been doing my research regarding local Scout Teams (West Coast Rangers, SoCal Cardinals, SoCal Cubs, SoCal Sox, etc) and was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these teams.  It seems like there are players from our Foothill League on most of these teams.  They all seem to participate in Connie Mack and he AZ Fall Classic.  So if anyone has any personal experience with any of these I would appreciate your input.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

2019Son received an invitation out of the blue to try out for one of the SoCal scout teams. First thing I did was research it on HSBBW and found this thread, which was helpful.

I do have a few questions:

1. What are the tryouts like? Is it a cast of thousands or more narrowly targeted?

2. Are there different teams per grade level? Or one team with a mix of grades on it?

3. Are certain of the scout teams "better" or more well regarded than others? (And I understand if you'd rather give that opinion in a PM).

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. As always, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge available on this forum.

My son played for the SoCal Cardinals and knows kids who played for the Cubs. Coming from Santa Clarita would work for both of those teams. I also think the A's are in the SF Valley and would work also.

All of the tryouts are pretty competitive and only the top kids make the fall scout team. I am not sure about the Connie Mack teams. The new Connie Mack league was just starting when he played and he played for the D-Rays in that league.

Let me know what specific questions you have and I can probably answer them. 

Last edited by BOF

Imo:

Bend over backwards to play scout ball; understand what scout ball is and what it isn't. 

Our experience delivered all the desired results of scout ball: exposure to college recruiters, exposure to pro scouts, low (absurdly low) cost, exposure to the future pro players (to gauge their level of play, their heart, their spirit,etc.), excellent on the spot instruction in areas that scouts care about, and more.

We live in San Diego and the majority of scout games were in Orange County, LA, and riverside. But scout "games" are not travel games, nor showcase games. Our games would go on for oftentimes over 20 innings - with no one keeping score. Pitchers would throw - if in shape - perhaps two - three innings (sometimes one inning). Guys would come, throw their innings, and leave - and the game would go on. 

Ss first game: drive two hours, throw eight pitches for one inning, hang out until there was a need for a pitcher to play a fielding spot, stay five hours, drive home. Next week, lots of recruiting. On that team (we had maybe 60 players; but many didn't come every week [football season for many]) perhaps half were drafted out of HS and I would bet over half ultimately are playing proball.

There were no tournament trophies, no practices; this was really high end but low keyed baseball played by some really fine ball players. The kids played baseball - they didn't have plays, didn't bunt, allowed the kids to run. The team was partially chosen at open tryouts and partially made up of a preselected number. The preselected number were primarily from local coaches who were trusted by the scouts. There was no favoritism - every kid basically plays until they don't want to play further.

You also get out of scout ball what you put in - kids who show up every week develop a repore with the coaches (ours were area scouts and above) which can prove to be very helpful when a kid is seeking advise about baseball, girls, colleges, etc. 

In hindsight, I have to say that scout ball was a very good investment of time and money.

Originally Posted by Goosegg:

Imo:

Bend over backwards to play scout ball; understand what scout ball is and what it isn't. 

Our experience delivered all the desired results of scout ball: exposure to college recruiters, exposure to pro scouts, low (absurdly low) cost, exposure to the future pro players (to gauge their level of play, their heart, their spirit,etc.), excellent on the spot instruction in areas that scouts care about, and more.

We live in San Diego and the majority of scout games were in Orange County, LA, and riverside. But scout "games" are not travel games, nor showcase games. Our games would go on for oftentimes over 20 innings - with no one keeping score. Pitchers would throw - if in shape - perhaps two - three innings (sometimes one inning). Guys would come, throw their innings, and leave - and the game would go on. 

Ss first game: drive two hours, throw eight pitches for one inning, hang out until there was a need for a pitcher to play a fielding spot, stay five hours, drive home. Next week, lots of recruiting. On that team (we had maybe 60 players; but many didn't come every week [football season for many]) perhaps half were drafted out of HS and I would bet over half ultimately are playing proball.

There were no tournament trophies, no practices; this was really high end but low keyed baseball played by some really fine ball players. The kids played baseball - they didn't have plays, didn't bunt, allowed the kids to run. The team was partially chosen at open tryouts and partially made up of a preselected number. The preselected number were primarily from local coaches who were trusted by the scouts. There was no favoritism - every kid basically plays until they don't want to play further.

You also get out of scout ball what you put in - kids who show up every week develop a repore with the coaches (ours were area scouts and above) which can prove to be very helpful when a kid is seeking advise about baseball, girls, colleges, etc. 

In hindsight, I have to say that scout ball was a very good investment of time and money.

Thanks Goosegg, that is very helpful. This is all new to me. We will definitely check it out. Just to clarify, your son did scout ball in addition to a travel team in high school? Or instead of a travel team?

Cabbage played in the league.  I'll echo most of what Goosegg and BOF said.  The format is quite different.  The quality of players is very good.  Most often, there is a D1 or likely draft pick pitcher on the hill.  The Cardinals seem to be the cream of the crop as far as organizations go but they run two squads - red and blue.  Red is mostly higher profile players.  They get a crazy amount of players show up for their tryouts and they have quite a bit of info on their website. Son played with the Wahoos and this may be another option based on were you live.  Most send teams to Arizona Fall Classic and there is also a big scout tourney.  Some run summer teams in a totally different manner than the fall teams.  Most have websites.  This league will definitely let your son know where he stacks up against good players. 

I'm a bit out of touch with it the last couple years.  I heard there may be a movement toward some younger teams but not sure.

Last edited by cabbagedad

Thought this was interesting attempt to identify the "legit" scout ball teams in SoCal.

www.cbabaseball.org/profiles/b...in-socal-for-dummies

Scout Ball: What it is? What it isn't?

With many amateur baseball programs today pretending to be what they're not, we felt that it's a good time to touch on topic of Scoutball, what it is, and how it's meant to benefit a high school player.

What is Scout Ball?

Scout leagues in Southern California are built by MLB organizations' area scouts. They are designed so that the MLB personnel involved (i.e. area scouts, crosscheckers, and front office staff) can identify high school aged prospects, primarily graduating seniors who are considered "draft guys" for the following year. They put together the best teams compiled of the top high school talent available to create relationships with the players and their families. They track progress, send in prospect reports to the scouting directors, and eventually put those prospects on a draft board where they can possibly fit into the draft amongst college players and other high school prospects from around the country. 

If you get invited to play with any of the following teams, you are in for a legitimate scout ball experience:

Los Angeles, Orange County, and Inland Empire Teams

• Red Sox: Jim Woodward
  • Seattle Mariners: Myron Pines
  • New York Yankees: Dave Keith
  • San Francisco Giants: Chuck Fick
  • Oakland A's: Eric Martins
  • Atlanta Braves: Kevin Martin
  • Los Angeles Angels: Steve Hernandez
  • Milwaukee Brewers: Josh Belovsky

San Diego Teams

• Tampa Bay Rays: Greg Wittword
  • San Diego Padres: Josh Steven
  • Toronto Blue Jays: Bud Smith

The primary reason for writing this article is to protect players from travel teams that operate under an MLB name. If you have any questions regarding scout ball or scout teams, please feel free to contact us at your earliest convenience.

We hope this information helps!

Always fascinating when travel ball group like CBA is "protecting players" for any reason.  It would seem to be the responsibility of MLB and their teams to verify that any coach/team claiming to be a legitimate scout team of the parent organizations is exactly that.  There are a ton of them around the SoCal area claiming to be Scout teams, so maybe someday there will be an effort to create a MLB-stamp of authenticity required to advertise a team as such.

The Cubs are legit, they are playing in the official So Cal Scout league schedule which is the most important thing since it is heavily attended by various college coaches. The only issue is how much funding the parent club gives. In the old days the cost used to be $100 and the club picked up the rest, but I know that has changed over the years. The SoCal scout league was one of the best things we did in the recruiting process.

Backstop22 posted:

Always fascinating when travel ball group like CBA is "protecting players" for any reason.  It would seem to be the responsibility of MLB and their teams to verify that any coach/team claiming to be a legitimate scout team of the parent organizations is exactly that.  There are a ton of them around the SoCal area claiming to be Scout teams, so maybe someday there will be an effort to create a MLB-stamp of authenticity required to advertise a team as such.

That's a fair point, and I'm certainly not carrying water for CBA. I just thought it was interesting to see someone actually identify them by name (and by implication call the other ones illegitimate). I have heard a simple test is, if you have to pay them, it's a travel team, not a real Scout team. 

2019Dad posted:

I have heard a simple test is, if you have to pay them, it's a travel team, not a real Scout team. 

This was true in my son's experience here in Florida. Not sure if the money came from the big league club or if the scout running the program covered everything out of his pocket, but I know it didn't cost us anything.

In this day and age, a few minutes with Google will tell you if a guy is legitimately affiliated with a club or if he is just blowing smoke. 

D.C. Baseball posted:

How does the SoCal league compare to PG/WWBA events?  

We did both. The Scout League is over a 10 week period in the fall that ends with the Az Fall Classic. My son also played on a travel team that did Connie Mack games in the summer and a few PG WWB tournaments on the West Coast. We never did travel to the East Coast WWB events. So coaches who were interested in my son saw him multiple times at multiple events, PG tournaments in Az,  Connie Mack games, So Cal Scout League, and finally at the Az Sr Classic and Academic game. He also had a few coaches come to some of his HS games, so in the end the programs who made him offers had a REALLY good idea on his skill level.  Granted he was in So Cal with a high concentration of players and coaches coming to look at those players. BTW he was in no way a blue chip player, and had no tier one program offers, had a couple Big West, one Ivy, and a spattering of other mid major programs with little money attached to them.  He ended up playing for probably the best D3 program in the country (Trinity TX) over the past 5 years and had a journeyman career with them. So if you are an average player this is what you need to do to get seen and validated as a player. 

2019Dad posted:

I have heard a simple test is, if you have to pay them, it's a travel team, not a real Scout team

This is the way it used to be, but I do know that authentic scout teams charge for the opportunity. (at least that was the case 5 years ago) 

Hi HS,

I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

- James

Confirm that you know James: https://www.linkedin.com/comm/...ll-0%7Eivki1m9p%7E9g

You received an invitation to connect. LinkedIn will use your email address to make suggestions to our members in features like People You May Know. Unsubscribe here: https://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?...mp;eid=0-ivki1m9p-9g

This email was sent to forum+4812612353786883-2982475074558034-D60C5E5B@hsbaseballweb.hoop.la.

If you need assistance or have questions, please contact LinkedIn Customer Service: https://www.linkedin.com/e/v2?...&ek=invite_guest

© 2016 LinkedIn Corporation, 2029 Stierlin Court, Mountain View CA 94043. LinkedIn and the LinkedIn logo are registered trademarks of LinkedIn.
TSmax posted:
Consultant posted:

We are assisting the Tampa Bay Rays for their Scout team tryout. If you have an interest, please open our web site and complete the player profile.

The majority of scout teams hold tryouts at no cost. The Fall games are scouted by professionals and college coaches.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

My son is interested.  Can you please tell me how to get in touch with you?

Slow down. His post is from 2015.

TSmax posted:
Consultant posted:

We are assisting the Tampa Bay Rays for their Scout team tryout. If you have an interest, please open our web site and complete the player profile.

The majority of scout teams hold tryouts at no cost. The Fall games are scouted by professionals and college coaches.

Bob

<www.goodwillseries.org>

My son is interested.  Can you please tell me how to get in touch with you?

TSmax, pm me if interested in LA area scout teams.  Familiar with 3 of the OP teams mentioned.  Good luck.

Funny to read this thread years later. My son did end up playing for one of the scout teams listed above. Fun experience. Lots of good players. Highly recommend it -- it's fun, and for a lot of kids it can be really useful for recruiting (as it turned out, for my kid that wasn't the case because he played scout ball as a position player only, and he's going to college as a pitcher, but it was still fun).

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.