Skip to main content

Hello all.  Our HS team is going to be pretty talented this year, and even more so, next year.  Our HS has not been known for baseball, so this is a rare window of opportunity.  We want to take the boys to a southern spring tournament next spring (2017).  Being that we have not done this before, we aren't sure what would be best.  We are a very small school (90-100 kids/class).  We would want to play similar school sizes if possible.  Any suggestions on where to go?  I know it is early, but we need to fund raise, etc.  Thanks!

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Is your spring break week around Easter?  Some of the private HSs are not.

I think if the tournament is one that has been hosting for a while, you can't control who they accept to be in the tournament, school-size-wise.   Look at prior year tournament schedules to see who attended to see if it is a fit.

Several that Keewartson participated when he was in high school that have been around for a while:

Mingo Bay  (Myrtle Beach, SC area) and H.I.T. or Hanahan Invitational Tournament (just north of Charleston, SC).  

He also played in a tournament of sorts with area high schools in Wilmington, NC during our spring break, but they were in school, so all the games were in the afternoon/evening. The big trip was to California one year, which I do not recommend for many reasons.

Here are a few tournaments to consider (depending on when your spring break is):

1. Union City, TN has two tournaments, one each of the last two weeks of March. Excellent, well-maintained fields and they attempt to group teams by school size/talent.

2. Gulf Coast Classic in Gulf Shores, AL has three tournaments (last three weeks in March) and uses several local/regional high school fields that are in very good condition. You can't beat the location, weather-wise.

3. Daily Times Classic near Knoxville, TN is the last week of March and uses three nice fields just north of the Smokies. 

Private message me if you would like to discuss further.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.