Skip to main content

TPM posted:

Do you know how many people don't realize that? Many.

How many times have we heard from someone here, they can't understand how so and so player got an offer when their son had better stats? Or the coach came to watch their son and they never heard from him again after their son did so well.

Or that's my sons favorite school, he wants to play there. Meanwhile the player doesn't have the skills for that level, probably wasting time for the phone to ring.

Another thing, how can a young HS player, never played a day in varsity or took a test, contact a program telling the coach he is interested in the program and not mention one word about grades?

Yes it happens folks. And also, coaches know who writes the emails, parent or player!

Remember, the coach recruits the player.

Yes, I think they ask for a copy of my son’s transcripts on the first call. That said he only had sophomore year.  I guess they can get an idea by his choice of classes and grades but there are no guarantees.

CaCO3Girl posted:

The coaches absolutely recruit the player.  However, there is nothing to be lost by sending an email to a school you are interested in with relevant information and hope that you are now on their radar.

Definetly but consider when sending out those emails where it will be a good fit, on the field and in the classroom. 

SchollySearchn posted:

Definetly but consider when sending out those emails where it will be a good fit, on the field and in the classroom

Sometimes it’s hard to know though, until you start to have conversations, if a school will be a “good fit”. 

When your son gets to the recruiting process, we will continue this conversation.

TPM posted:
SchollySearchn posted:

Definetly but consider when sending out those emails where it will be a good fit, on the field and in the classroom

Sometimes it’s hard to know though, until you start to have conversations, if a school will be a “good fit”. 

When your son gets to the recruiting process, we will continue this conversation.

SchollySearchn is A NEW POSTER and the parent of a rising a junior.  They are IN the recruiting process.  What makes you think they aren't?

So having a 2020 C we are getting more serious about this, although after talking to a few scouts last fall I have realized that there isn't a crazy rush to commit early. All 3 said that unlike football if you verbal in baseball most schools cross you off. Having seen some kids do this and then find out the school doesn't have a spot for them or in some case had 20 kids verbal when they only had 8 spots all the school is doing is taking the player out of the market. 

Committing as a freshman makes the player feel cool and maybe the parent, but then if the coach calls when you are junior and says you haven't progressed like we thought or someone else became available. you are in a bind. He has interest from a few schools and some of them it is mutual. There are 6 D1 commits at his school and none of them committed until halfway through their Junior year and one was in the middle of his senior year.

Just my experience and I realize that this is my opinion and experience. 

Last edited by TStevens
TStevens posted:

So having a 2020 C we are getting more serious about this, although after talking to a few scouts last fall I have realized that there isn't a crazy rush to commit early. All 3 said that unlike football if you verbal in baseball most schools cross you off. Having seen some kids do this and then find out the school doesn't have a spot for them or in some case had 20 kids verbal when they only had 8 spots all the school is doing is taking the player out of the market. 

Committing as a freshman makes the player feel cool and maybe the parent, but then if the coach calls when you are junior and says you haven't progressed like we thought or someone else became available. you are in a bind. He has interest from a few schools and some of them it is mutual. There are 6 D1 commits at his school and none of them committed until halfway through their Junior year and one was in the middle of his senior year.

Just my experience and I realize that this is my opinion and experience. 

I wonder how long the juniors were in contact with the school before they committed?

I think one thing to remember is there's a difference in timeline on all sides between the really elite programs, the pretty good programs, and the schools that have programs and are a great place for kids to play even though they'll never get to Omaha or the D2 or even the D3 version.

My son committed D1 the fall of his senior year. His best friend just committed to a quality, but small, D3 program here in Iowa earlier this week. 

On here we all seem to focus on the more elite programs, but it's an equally interesting process for kids who know they likely are choosing the place where they will play their last games of baseball.

Iowamom23 posted:

I think one thing to remember is there's a difference in timeline on all sides between the really elite programs, the pretty good programs, and the schools that have programs and are a great place for kids to play even though they'll never get to Omaha or the D2 or even the D3 version.

My son committed D1 the fall of his senior year. His best friend just committed to a quality, but small, D3 program here in Iowa earlier this week. 

On here we all seem to focus on the more elite programs, but it's an equally interesting process for kids who know they likely are choosing the place where they will play their last games of baseball.

True. We are not focused on top tier baseball programs, just for baseball’s sake. We are truly looking at all aspects of a school and all they offer. 

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.