Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Let me give you another perspective. I just returned from Florida where I picked up my son’s car from where he had left it after spring training. Team rules are such that he had to fly from spring training so he had to leave his car full of clothes, bats and balls, CDs etc. Included in his cache were about 20 different “T” shirts some which had a baseball message printed on them. Yesterday I washed and folded those shirts and the ones I though sent the strongest message were the ones that had the simple team name or the team logo. I’m refering to his high school and summer teams like the double "D" of Dulin's Dodgers or the "North Side Baseball" shirts. While I have seen some "T" shirt sayings that I thought were unique, I personally like the "T" shirt that just has the name of the school or the name of the team. I personally think the real message should not be in cleverly thought out words but in the reputation of the team. Think about it, if a picture is worth a thousand words --- Then the name of the teams says it all.
Fungo
-There is no "I" in Team
-TEAM (together everyone achieves more)
-Character is what you do when no one else is looking - (my favorite quote)
-go hard or go home (overused)
-Champions are afraid of losing, everyone else is afraid of winning

There are many more check out gandy's inc t-shirt design they have a ton posted
I am a high school baseball coach and we put a saying on our practice shirts every year. We try to come up with something that fits the attitude of the team and try to reiterate this throughout the year. We try to stay away from long quotes and sentences and use something short and sweet. Some of the ones we have used are "Show me, don't tell me" and "Work hard every day" and "TEAM, me"(this one we had "TEAM" in big bold letters on top and "me" in little letters underneath to represent that the Team is bigger than me)
My problem with sayings is that they promote a cockiness, and not necessarily a good cockiness. I love it when a catcher has a "you run, I gun" type shirt on and then he can't reach 2nd base, or the opposition runs all over him.
The attitude is displayed on the field, with approach, preparation, communication and execution. No saying will positively affect a players ability if they aren't prepared and don't execute. Teaching them to have fun while preparing is also very important IMO.
The sayings are just another part of everyday loud self promotion that we so often see displayed today. We used to say "all talk, no action". Leave it all on the field, wear a smile and a shirt that fits comfortably.
These are my all time favorites,

“One man practicing good sportsmanship is better than one hundred teaching it”.-Knute Rockne

“Leadership must be demonstrated, not announced”.- Fran Tarkenton

"Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to produce uncommon results."– Unknown

"A good coach will make his players see what they can be, rather than what they are."-Ara Parashegian

“I've never been afraid to fail."-Michael Jordan

“In great attempts, it is glorious even to fail”.- Vince Lombardi

“Good coaching is about leadership and instilling respect in your players. Dictators lead through fear--good coaches do not."-John Wooden

“So many coaches forget that when they take the fun out of something, it's just not something people want to do."-Michelle Johnson

“Good coaches teach respect for the opposition, love of competition, the value of trying your best, and how to win and lose graciously."-Brooks Clark

“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."-John Wooden

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I remember, involve me and I learn."-Benjamin Franklin

“Spectacular achievements are always preceded by unspectacular preparation”.- Roger Staubach

"In my opinion, discipline involves punishment, it involves education, and it involves love." - Mark Richt

“I have found that kids enjoy the discipline required to learn and play the game of baseball, as long as it is fair and consistent” - Ron Polk

“The best team doesn’t always win, but the team that plays the best, that day, always does”-Roger Hopkins

“Show me a guy who's afraid to look bad, and I'll show you a guy you can beat every time."- Lou Brock

“Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it”.- Proverbs 22:6

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.