Skip to main content

RJM posted:

40 on this roster. Must be another program to avoid.

http://trinitytigers.com/sports/bsb/2016-17/roster

Someone piss in your Cheerios? I don't think the OP would have had as big of beef with Tufts or the Coach had his son even been on the roster on the website, as that seemed to have impacted his ability to play summer ball as well. Perhaps if you would have PM'd him and actually heard his story you wouldn't be coming off like the jerk that you are right now.

SanDiegoRealist posted:
RJM posted:

Someone piss in your Cheerios? I don't think the OP would have had as big of beef with Tufts or the Coach had his son even been on the roster on the website, as that seemed to have impacted his ability to play summer ball as well. Perhaps if you would have PM'd him and actually heard his story you wouldn't be coming off like the jerk that you are right now.

Piss on my Cherios? I'm making a point large rosters as a result of a lot of recruits is not unusual at D3's.

The original poster had the courage to publicly trash Tufts and Coach Casey. I'm asking him to have the courage to posts the issues publicly. My issue is I thought it was gutless to trash the school and the coach without posting the issues.

In keeping with how this site operates he should have created a post explaining his son was recruited at an eastern academic D3. Here's what happened. If you want to know the name of the college and the coach PM me. 

But since he's publicly outed the college and the coach have the courage to publicly list the issues. Also, I have questions. Was the kid asked to apply ED? Did the coach say he would walk his application through admissions?

Last edited by RJM
RJM posted:
SanDiegoRealist posted:
RJM posted:

Piss on my Cherios? I'm making a point large rosters as a result of a lot of recruits is not unusual at D3's.

The original poster had the courage to publicly trash Tufts and Coach Casey. I'm asking him to have the courage to posts the issues publicly. My issue is I thought it was gutless to trash the school and the coach without posting the issues.

In keeping with how this site operates he should have created a post explaining his son was recruited at an eastern academic D3. Here's what happened. If you want to know the name of the college and the coach PM me. 

But since he's publicly outed the college and the coach have the courage to publicly list the issues. Also, I have questions. Was the kid asked to apply ED? Did the coach say he would walk his application through admissions?

Ok, I am going to take the bait here, RJM. You seem compelled to take HV to task over his coming on a public forum and airing his grievances. Big deal. It's a big bad world out there, and apparently it's ok to learn that lesson on a baseball field but not anywhere else in life (like a forum like this)?

If the coach or university has a problem with what he said, they can come on here and defend themselves or slap him with a cease and desist order. Neither will likely happen, and as you said...there will be more who are willing to take the same route this kid did at Tufts because either they hear what they want to hear or think they can make the cut.

Emotions are a part of the game, right? I think most who are reading this understand there is emotional investment here. Easy to sit in a different position with a kid or kids who are currently rostered and "living the dream," quite another to see your kids dreams crushed. Give him a break, I think there is a lot of emotion going on and his heart is in the right place. I am sure if you PM him, he will likely answer your questions. But to sit here and put links to D3 rosters with sarcastic comments is only serving one purpose...

A coach isn't coming on here to defend himself. He's heard it all before. He has nothing to defend. Kids feeling they got screwed in college sports is as common as the cold. 

I would like to have my two questions answered. It would provide a lot of perspective. 

Last edited by RJM
TPM posted:
DesertDuck posted:
TPM posted:

Coaches are not dishonest, but rather people tend to hear what they want.

Here is the deal, you know nothing about the recruits that are listed on PG. 

Rather than spend hours pouring over PG, just ask the coach during recruiting how many they plan on bringing in.  Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. People have to stop obsessing over this.

Let's take a bit closer look at these statements shall we?

1. Coach's are not dishonest, but rather people tend to hear what they want. Do you personally know every coach in college baseball? (i'm guessing not). How do you validate a statement like this? The use of the word 'tend' in the second part is a good qualifier, but again......HUGE generalization!

2. You know nothing about the recruits that are listed on PG. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't? Maybe his kid is considering an offer to the school mentioned? Maybe he knows just about everything about everyone of them? (appears he likes to do some research on the subject, No?)

3a. Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. I'll step out on the edge here and say.....Pretty sure that the OP feels his son did EXACTLY this and look what happened to him. Do any of us know the depths of the actual situation just by reading the first/original post? Of course not....Personally doing what you imply in this statement guarantee's nothing but MAYBE a 'decent' opportunity. Pretty sure that no-ones sone sets out to do poorly either in the classroom or on the field from the get go. (I know....I shouldn't generalize...lol)

3b. People have to stop obsessing over this. Wouldn't it be fair to say that one man's obsession is another man's hobby? How can you generalize with such broad statements about people you likely no nothing about? Seems to me that 'SDR' is not obsessing but rather educating himself on the topic which is likely to have a rather big impact on his family in a number of ways as he navigates down the path.

I get that you have been around here a while, have traveled the road that many of us are just getting started on (or are in the middle of) and may even have quite a bit of experience with the college baseball recruiting topic in general. But it seems (at face value) to be rather disingenuous and perhaps even counter-productive to paint EVERYONE with such a broad brush.....No?

You arent gonna like this, but after 3 and a half years of not making the team, maybe the player, in the coaching staffs opinion would not contribute to the success of the team, for any reason.

Thats usually the case, and I truly understand that parents see their players as better than they are, but this is how it works.  

This has been a colorful and entertaining thread and I'm probably better off as an observer than a participant but I want to say that TPM is in my opinion correct.......After 3 1/2 years of primarily JV ball this shouldn't be a shock to the Parent or the player.

And TPM certainly doesn't need my defense here or anywhere else .This is a long time member whose son played not only at the highest level of NCAA baseball but also Pro ball. And a member that I have personally sought council with.

Opinions on this thread vary but could be categorized in two columns:

1)  posts from parents whose son's play college ball

2) post's from parents whose son's want to play college ball

There is validity in both categories. 

I think parents of players currently playing NCAA baseball have a much simpler view of these issues.

A couple of things:

'Playing time' is usually always at the root of whether a program or a coach gets bashed on here at HSBBWEB

NCAA Baseball coaching culture IS in fact one of truth and transparency . Most coaches do tell the truth. The ones that don't , Do not last.

PLAYING TIME : Parents convolute this issue when it is actually very, very simple. NCAA coaches dictate playing time by playing guys that they believe will help them WIN. These coaches are paid to WIN. Their lively hood depends on it. If your kid can hit and help them win. Then he will play. If your kid pitches and gets guys out he will play. Period.

*If they are not playing it is because they are not doing these things.

The commitment coaches make to players are contingent upon PERFORMANCE by the player. Also, it's worth mentioning that NCAA baseball coaches end up on the wrong side of deals every day. Players get hurt, Guys don't do well academically, Kids get into trouble at school or in the community , Kids fail drug tests. And these programs lose thousands of dollars in wasted scholarship money

Lastly, anything I type is just my opinion base on my experience

Last edited by StrainedOblique
CmassRHPDad posted:

Ok so general question...

It looks like the tufts baseball roster lists abt 35 players on their website and unless I missed it, no mention of a jv roster or schedule. I assume the only way one knows how big a roster a team actually carries would be to ask the HC or RC at the appropriate time?

I am not sure but I think a JV team is more like a club team and not really affiliated with the Varsity team. There is a JV team at sons program, and as a coach he has absolutely nothing to do with the team.

I am awaiting an answer.

There is a tab on Tufts baseball website where you can get last year's media guide which shows both varsity an jv.  At least for 2015 it did http://www.jumbobaseball.com/media-guide.  

I have to add to my 2 cents. I copied a post from a while ago, the good and the bad is explained in this post, but the program and the coach are named.  So, while it's not done frequently, it is done.   Generally, I don't see the problem expressing naming someone if there is a bad experience, given that it is ok to issue superlatives to a named coach at other times.   HV started a hot button, I don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure his only intention was to provide information.  As a dad I certainly appreciate his position and sympathize with it.  BTW look at HV 's past posts and you can see what happened.  Again the below post is from over 10 years ago.

Info on top New England Schools | High School Baseball Web

Gold glove,
My brother, Ben Simon, is a captain at Tufts. He is a pitcher there. I won't speak much about it academically, because the NESCACs are all top notch schools. Tufts is particularly strong in political science, engineering, and sciences.

As for baseball, Ben has had an interesting 3 years. He was thrown into the weekend rotation as a freshman, and was the #1 as a sophomore and a junior. Coach Casey is an extremely intense man. It is well known in the area that people either love him or hate him. As a 2 year captain, Ben has had many experiences that frustrated him, but his overall experience has been great. Because Casey is so intense, he recruits hard nosed kids who want to work hard on and off the field. If you don't want to get yelled at, it's not the right place for you. If you don't want to hit the weight room and the swimming pool, it's not the right place for you. If you want to surround yourself with tough kids who sacrifice as much as possible to win, it is the right place for you. Last year, Tufts was #9 in the country until they lost 7 games in 2 weekends to Bowdoin and Middlebury. 6 of the 7 were one run games. They finished 24-14 and they beat 2 teams (Eastern CT and NC Wesleyan) that made the D III CWS. This year's team is hoping to get to the NCAAs and returns a very strong senior class.

On Sunday, Ben broke his arm in the middle of a fall ball practice. It was a freakishly scary experience for all involved. Coach Casey got to the field some time later (in the NESCAC, coaches cannot be present at fall ball practices, although this MUST change or else somebody is going to get sued for alot of $$$) and drove him to the hospital. He stayed with him all night, drove him back to his house, and waited with him until my parents picked him up. He stayed in the hospital room with him while doctors tried to mend the situation so that season ending surgery would not be neccessary. Ben called it the most painful thing he's ever endured and said that the only person he would have ever wanted with him other than family was Coach Casey.

I understand when people rip Casey because he definitely can make some enemies with his behavior. However, I can say with 100% assurety that if you play 4 years for him and give him everything you have, he will go to war for you.

seaver41 posted:

There is a tab on Tufts baseball website where you can get last year's media guide which shows both varsity an jv.  At least for 2015 it did http://www.jumbobaseball.com/media-guide.  

I have to add to my 2 cents. I copied a post from a while ago, the good and the bad is explained in this post, but the program and the coach are named.  So, while it's not done frequently, it is done.   Generally, I don't see the problem expressing naming someone if there is a bad experience, given that it is ok to issue superlatives to a named coach at other times.   HV started a hot button, I don't want to speak for him, but I'm sure his only intention was to provide information.  As a dad I certainly appreciate his position and sympathize with it.  BTW look at HV 's past posts and you can see what happened.  Again the below post is from over 10 years ago.

Info on top New England Schools | High School Baseball Web

Gold glove,
My brother, Ben Simon, is a captain at Tufts. He is a pitcher there. I won't speak much about it academically, because the NESCACs are all top notch schools. Tufts is particularly strong in political science, engineering, and sciences.

As for baseball, Ben has had an interesting 3 years. He was thrown into the weekend rotation as a freshman, and was the #1 as a sophomore and a junior. Coach Casey is an extremely intense man. It is well known in the area that people either love him or hate him. As a 2 year captain, Ben has had many experiences that frustrated him, but his overall experience has been great. Because Casey is so intense, he recruits hard nosed kids who want to work hard on and off the field. If you don't want to get yelled at, it's not the right place for you. If you don't want to hit the weight room and the swimming pool, it's not the right place for you. If you want to surround yourself with tough kids who sacrifice as much as possible to win, it is the right place for you. Last year, Tufts was #9 in the country until they lost 7 games in 2 weekends to Bowdoin and Middlebury. 6 of the 7 were one run games. They finished 24-14 and they beat 2 teams (Eastern CT and NC Wesleyan) that made the D III CWS. This year's team is hoping to get to the NCAAs and returns a very strong senior class.

On Sunday, Ben broke his arm in the middle of a fall ball practice. It was a freakishly scary experience for all involved. Coach Casey got to the field some time later (in the NESCAC, coaches cannot be present at fall ball practices, although this MUST change or else somebody is going to get sued for alot of $$$) and drove him to the hospital. He stayed with him all night, drove him back to his house, and waited with him until my parents picked him up. He stayed in the hospital room with him while doctors tried to mend the situation so that season ending surgery would not be neccessary. Ben called it the most painful thing he's ever endured and said that the only person he would have ever wanted with him other than family was Coach Casey.

I understand when people rip Casey because he definitely can make some enemies with his behavior. However, I can say with 100% assurety that if you play 4 years for him and give him everything you have, he will go to war for you.
Seaver, still not sure you are making your point with the attached post...
It is written by a brother, not a parent (the expectation of proper restraint is perhaps generally lessened) and, more importantly, the overall post is positive.  Many of the specifics listed (you're gonna get yelled at, you're gonna work hard with conditioning and you're gonna sacrifice) apply to every college coach.  There are certain tough traits that will be quite common for any man in charge of 35-55 young college males who have to come together and accomplish difficult tasks, working at it several hours a day for several months a year with no pay.

TPM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:

It looks like the tufts baseball roster lists abt 35 players on their website and unless I missed it, no mention of a jv roster or schedule. I assume the only way one knows how big a roster a team actually carries would be to ask the HC or RC at the appropriate time?

I am not sure but I think a JV team is more like a club team and not really affiliated with the Varsity team. There is a JV team at sons program, and as a coach he has absolutely nothing to do with the team.

I am awaiting an answer.

Well if it's a club team, call it a club team.  No reason to "disguise" it as "jv" which implies a relationship. 

StrainedOblique posted:
TPM posted:
DesertDuck posted:
TPM posted:

Rather than spend hours pouring over PG, just ask the coach during recruiting how many they plan on bringing in.  Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. People have to stop obsessing over this.

1. Coach's are not dishonest, but rather people tend to hear what they want. Do you personally know every coach in college baseball? (i'm guessing not). How do you validate a statement like this? The use of the word 'tend' in the second part is a good qualifier, but again......HUGE generalization!

2. You know nothing about the recruits that are listed on PG. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't? Maybe his kid is considering an offer to the school mentioned? Maybe he knows just about everything about everyone of them? (appears he likes to do some research on the subject, No?)

3a. Have your son do well in the classroom and on the field and he will be fine. I'll step out on the edge here and say.....Pretty sure that the OP feels his son did EXACTLY this and look what happened to him. Do any of us know the depths of the actual situation just by reading the first/original post? Of course not....Personally doing what you imply in this statement guarantee's nothing but MAYBE a 'decent' opportunity. Pretty sure that no-ones sone sets out to do poorly either in the classroom or on the field from the get go. (I know....I shouldn't generalize...lol)

3b. People have to stop obsessing over this. Wouldn't it be fair to say that one man's obsession is another man's hobby? How can you generalize with such broad statements about people you likely no nothing about? Seems to me that 'SDR' is not obsessing but rather educating himself on the topic which is likely to have a rather big impact on his family in a number of ways as he navigates down the path.

I get that you have been around here a while, have traveled the road that many of us are just getting started on (or are in the middle of) and may even have quite a bit of experience with the college baseball recruiting topic in general. But it seems (at face value) to be rather disingenuous and perhaps even counter-productive to paint EVERYONE with such a broad brush.....No?

You arent gonna like this, but after 3 and a half years of not making the team, maybe the player, in the coaching staffs opinion would not contribute to the success of the team, for any reason.

Thats usually the case, and I truly understand that parents see their players as better than they are, but this is how it works.  

This has been a colorful and entertaining thread and I'm probably better off as an observer than a participant but I want to say that TPM is in my opinion correct.......After 3 1/2 years of primarily JV ball this shouldn't be a shock to the Parent or the player.

And TPM certainly doesn't need my defense here or anywhere else .This is a long time member whose son played not only at the highest level of NCAA baseball but also Pro ball. And a member that I have personally sought council with.

I think parents of players currently playing NCAA baseball have a much simpler view of these issues.

A couple of things:

'Playing time' is usually always at the root of whether a program or a coach gets bashed on here at HSBBWEB

NCAA Baseball coaching culture IS in fact one of truth and transparency . Most coaches do tell the truth. The ones that don't , Do not last.

PLAYING TIME : Parents convolute this issue when it is actually very, very simple. NCAA coaches dictate playing time by playing guys that they believe will help them WIN. These coaches are paid to WIN. Their lively hood depends on it. If your kid can hit and help them win. Then he will play. If your kid pitches and gets guys out he will play. Period.

The commitment coaches make to players are contingent upon PERFORMANCE by the player. Also, it's worth mentioning that NCAA baseball coaches end up on the wrong side of deals every day. Players get hurt, Guys don't do well academically, Kids get into trouble at school or in the community , Kids fail drug tests. And these programs lose thousands of dollars in wasted scholarship money

That was very nice, thank you and your post is 100 % correct. 

The one thing here that jumps out at me, is that those who have players, that have never attended or committed to any program, seem to have all the answers. They don't. 

Those such as yourself who have a player in a program or anyone who has previously, gets it.

As far as one doing due diligence, I am not sure what everyone is looking for, I know what we were looking for and I can tell you that playing for Jack Leggett and Kevin O'Sullivan at the same time wasn't easy.  I mean seriously. But my son wouldn't be who he is if he wasn't taken to the woodshed a few times, when he did deserve it and when he didn't.  These guys are not successful because they kiss your a$$ or want you to love them.  But when push comes to shove, they will take the bullet for you, but you have to give them all you got, or you won't make it.

I don't know HV or his son, I don't know Coach Casey.  It should have been handled differently.  Seaver41s post isubject the reason, all players see coaches differently, all parents do as well.  If the program has issues, that's a different discussion.

Last edited by TPM
Golfman25 posted:
TPM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:

I am awaiting an answer.

Well if it's a club team, call it a club team.  No reason to "disguise" it as "jv" which implies a relationship. 

I was just making a comparison.  Not sure of the significance of what JV actually means.

TPM posted:
StrainedOblique posted:
TPM posted:
DesertDuck posted:
TPM posted:

A couple of things:

That was very nice, thank you and your post is 100 % correct. 

The one thing here that jumps out at me, is that those who have players, that have never attended or committed to any program, seem to have all the answers. They don't. 

Those such as yourself who have a player in a program or anyone who has previously, gets it.

As far as one doing due diligence, I am not sure what everyone is looking for, I know what we were looking for and I can tell you that playing for Jack Leggett and Kevin O'Sullivan at the same time wasn't easy.  I mean seriously. But my son wouldn't be who he is if he wasn't taken to the woodshed a few times, when he did deserve it and when he didn't.  These guys are not successful because they are always your best friends. But when push comes to shove, they will take the bullet for you, but you have to give them all you got, or you won't make it.

I don't know HV or his son, I don't know Coach Casey.  It should have been handled differently.  Seaver41s post is the reason. 

So....did the bolded statement above apply to you prior to your son playing at the 'highest level of NCAA D1 baseball'? Did you also have all the answers about the draft and intricacies of being a professional baseball player before your son experienced it all?

The one thing here that jumps out at me, is the condescending tone and ignorant blanket generalizations with the statements that you previously made above (I see you just added a couple more to the list). If I didn't know any better, I'd get the idea (from this thread anyway) that YOU are the one that seems to have ALL the answers?

I personally come here to learn what I can about the process from people that have already experienced it (both the good and bad) and are willing to share their experiences for the benefit of others. Not because I want to be chastised by someone that was fortunate enough to see their kid live a dream at the highest level's of college and professional baseball.

One thing I do know....is how to pick out an 'internet tough guy' (or gal) in a large crowd from a mile away.....

If anything I have written or suggested in this thread (or any other for that matter) gives the impression that "I know it all"......God help those that read what i type!

Good for you and your son. Very happy to hear that quite a bit has worked out well for you and your family. Others should be so blessed-

Last edited by DesertDuck
TPM posted:
CmassRHPDad posted:

I am awaiting an answer.

An answer from me? I missed the question. Please repeat?

And not to hijack this thread even further but StrainedO said "If your kid pitches and gets guys out he will play. Period."  

I have to agree to disagree - there is this little something called velocity and most coaches seem to use that first and foremost.  So maybe "if you kid pitches, throws hard enough, and gets guys out" would work better for me.  I look forward to seeing what happens to guys we know who throw 90 but can't pitch but are playing D1 next year...And, yes, I also look forward to seeing where 2017 lands and if he can make the velo cut because he has the getting guys out part down. 

Hijack over.

There's greater potential for bitterness against NESCAC programs because transferring is not a viable option.  It's virtually impossible to transfer within the NESCAC, and to transfer to a non-NESCAC D-3 almost always would result in attending a school that is rated a lot lower academically.

Just the way it is.  Know it going in.  Not, in my opinion, a cause for complaint.

Last edited by freddy77
Twoboys posted:

And not to hijack this thread even further but StrainedO said "If your kid pitches and gets guys out he will play. Period."  

I have to agree to disagree - there is this little something called velocity and most coaches seem to use that first and foremost.  So maybe "if you kid pitches, throws hard enough, and gets guys out" would work better for me.  I look forward to seeing what happens to guys we know who throw 90 but can't pitch but are playing D1 next year...And, yes, I also look forward to seeing where 2017 lands and if he can make the velo cut because he has the getting guys out part down. 

Hijack over.

90+ draws attention. But it doesn't keep a pitcher on the mound. A team will have 16-18 pitchers. Typically only ten get meaningful mound time. Six to eight can be projects. But patience only lasts so long. A new batch of pitchers arrives every year. There are plenty of major conference and other high profile program pitchers cruising 87/88. There are plenty of mid major pitchers cruising 85/86.

Last edited by RJM
Twoboys posted:

Hijack over.

I said "If your kid pitches and gets guys out he will play.Period" and that is correct. He will 'play' . I did not say get 'recruited'

I am talking about playing time at the college level..... Not recruiting.

Velocity is a measuring stick at the recruiting level but isn't nearly as big a factor when it comes to in game pitching changes / decisions. That is based on what I stated earlier. They want guys that 'get outs' . Preferably guys that get outs quick.

There are LHP's at the college level sitting 83 mph that will pitch today . And righty's throwing mid 80's with dirty breaking stuff that will be coming out of the pen today all over the country

Last edited by StrainedOblique

Wow, I went away for a day and a half to visit 2016 at school and a lot transpired on this thread!  Can we not agree that cutting a player at the D3 level his senior year (when they can keep as many player as they want - or even those they don't) is a little over the top?  I can agree a bit that after 3 years on JV there is a little bit of the writing on the wall but can't we also agree that a player who has worked for 3 year and hung around (and also payed $60k+ per year minus whatever merit aid) deserves a shot to at least be around his senior year?  

Written from afar with out all the details obviously but just doesn't seem right to me.  

My two cents, i think it is relevant to the thread. My 2016 was a fr. at Tufts until today.  He and Coach Casey parted ways.  I told 2016 that he is a smart kid  and I will support him in any decision he makes.  To answer a few questions about our exp at Tufts.  

Casey is a intense coach, however 2016 and I have no issues with him. The issue was with 2016.  He lost the love for the game.  He was asked to apply ED and last semester he had a 4.00 GPA.  He kind  of used baseball as his hook ( and a 34 ACT ) get into Tufts. He wants the geo political science degree. 

Coupled with losing the love for the game, he fell in love with the academic side .. he will stay at the school and Casey even told him if the love returns come back out next year.   

2016 could not justify spending so much time at baseball when he could be spending time academically .... He wants to apply to study abroad at Oxford and needs to maintain his gpa to even apply.  

So am I sad he stopped playing baseball , sure a little, but it's his life and hey he's at Tufts making straight A's   ... I'm not that worried.  I hate that the OP invested so much time in the process... but the sting will wear off and another chapter in his life will start. I am sure he is a very talented person in other areas besides baseball.  

BTW , TPM.... Tufts has a JV team and also a club team... not sure if the JV team is bond by NCAA.... 

Last edited by bacdorslider
MKbaseballdad posted:

Wow, I went away for a day and a half to visit 2016 at school and a lot transpired on this thread!  Can we not agree that cutting a player at the D3 level his senior year (when they can keep as many player as they want - or even those they don't) is a little over the top?  I can agree a bit that after 3 years on JV there is a little bit of the writing on the wall but can't we also agree that a player who has worked for 3 year and hung around (and also payed $60k+ per year minus whatever merit aid) deserves a shot to at least be around his senior year?  

Written from afar with out all the details obviously but just doesn't seem right to me.  

Here's a view on this independent of this particular situation. These comments are in no way directed at THIS player.

Keeping players who can't contribute as seniors is easier said than done.  Even though it's D3, they still don't just roll the balls out and play pickup games.  The more players you have, the more players you have to work into practice, the harder it is to get reps to contributors.  Running a practice with 40 kids is not an easy feat. Especially at the NESCAC level where your time with your team as a coach is so limited.  Also, not every D3 team can keep as many as they want.  In that case, keeping an upperclassmen with no chance to contribute causes a younger guy, who might improve, to get cut.  

Paying the $60k has absolutely nothing to do with being on the baseball team.  They're all paying.  

One situation could be the coach offers an upperclassmen that he would cut to stick around as a team manager.  I've had this on teams I've played/coached on, and it worked out great. The converse of keeping an upperclassmen around as a player often leads to a pretty disgruntled kid. A senior who thinks he "paid his dues" and never see's the field could be an issue.  Again, I'm not saying that would happen in this case, just giving a scenario. 

bacdorslider posted:

My two cents, i think it is relevant to the thread. My 2016 was a fr. at Tufts until today.  He and Coach Casey parted ways.  I told 2016 that he is a smart kid  and I will support him in any decision he makes.  To answer a few questions about our exp at Tufts.  

Casey is a intense coach, however 2016 and I have no issues with him. The issue was with 2016.  He lost the love for the game.  He was asked to apply ED and last semester he had a 4.00 GPA.  He kind  of used baseball as his hook ( and a 34 ACT ) get into Tufts. He wants the geo political science degree. 

Coupled with losing the love for the game, he fell in love with the academic side .. he will stay at the school and Casey even told him if the love returns come back out next year.   

2016 could not justify spending so much time at baseball when he could be spending time academically .... He wants to apply to study abroad at Oxford and needs to maintain his gpa to even apply.  

So am I sad he stopped playing baseball , sure a little, but it's his life and hey he's at Tufts making straight A's   ... I'm not that worried.  I hate that the OP invested so much time in the process... but the sting will wear off and another chapter in his life will start. I am sure he is a very talented person in other areas besides baseball.  

BTW , TPM.... Tufts has a JV team and also a club team... not sure if the JV team is bond by NCAA.... 

Dave,

Congratulations and I love this story. He is doing what he wants to do, life goes on without baseball.  There is nothing more important than an education at the highest level. We need more young folks taking the path he has chosen.

As you stated, Coach Casey is an intense coach, which is very typical of the most successful coaches in any sport. 

JV teams have to abide by NCAA rules. Club teams do not.

Last edited by TPM
BrianTRC posted:
MKbaseballdad posted:

Here's a view on this independent of this particular situation. These comments are in no way directed at THIS player.

Keeping players who can't contribute as seniors is easier said than done.  Even though it's D3, they still don't just roll the balls out and play pickup games.  The more players you have, the more players you have to work into practice, the harder it is to get reps to contributors.  Running a practice with 40 kids is not an easy feat. Especially at the NESCAC level where your time with your team as a coach is so limited.  Also, not every D3 team can keep as many as they want.  In that case, keeping an upperclassmen with no chance to contribute causes a younger guy, who might improve, to get cut.  

Paying the $60k has absolutely nothing to do with being on the baseball team.  They're all paying.  

One situation could be the coach offers an upperclassmen that he would cut to stick around as a team manager.  I've had this on teams I've played/coached on, and it worked out great. The converse of keeping an upperclassmen around as a player often leads to a pretty disgruntled kid. A senior who thinks he "paid his dues" and never see's the field could be an issue.  Again, I'm not saying that would happen in this case, just giving a scenario. 

Good post.  Thank you.

As to the reply about keeping a senior around,  you goy it, it only applies to situations where the senior will play an important role or not.  Most of the time, its just about moving on and whats best for the team and then the player. For acoach, any coach, the team is his #1 priority.

Wow,  3 days later and a lot of misinformation and speculation is out there.  For one, my son is a junior.  Secondly, I did not even mention anyone's name.  I referred to the program as "warped".  I stand by that comment and will gladly go into any detail or answer any questions in a Private Message - as I have done with 10-12 so far.  Some may feel that "ripping" a program and not providing details is gutless, that is their prerogative, and I am fully aware that this story has invited criticism of my son as a player from many who have never seen him play.  Thirdly, the only reason I posted the end to my son's story is because baseball is his passion in life.  He is a good student, an even better person, and was patently misled during his recruiting process and then witnessed many bizarre events over the last 2.5 years (the 3.5 was from the original post during his senior year in HS).  

For those of you who are interested, getting one at-bat in a JV game burns a year of eligibility and club baseball is more akin to beer-league softball.  It may not meet the bill for my son who has played in state championship games at the highest level at his "crappy New York high school".

As my only son has had his opportunity to play the game competitively taken from him (basically from day 1) at this school, I no longer have any skin in the game.  Therefore, this is my last public post EVER on the HS Baseball Web as I have nothing more to offer since I did virtually everything wrong for my son.  As I said above, the full story is available via Private Message and will be for years as I will check in occasionally on the friends I have made on the forum, as people search the name of the school on this forum.  Thanks to many, particularly Fenway, who tried to help in his journey.  I only hope that I can help others avoid the sense of lost opportunity and guilt that I now harbor over not helping my own son see through the garbage and avoid this situation.

Also, transferring at a high academic D3 level is not really an option for the following reasons:

1.  Since baseball is a Spring sport and most high academics don't cut in the Fall, you may not really know if it isn't working out soon enough to meet transfer deadlines in your freshman year.

2.  When you know in your heart, and teammates (and some assistant coaches) keep telling you you have the talent, work ethic, attitude, and production to contribute where you are, you tend to want to prove it to them (if given an opportunity).

3.  You better have received very good grades (Deans List or better) in the first semester, because the transfer bar at a high academic is much higher than the freshman admit bar.

Last edited by HVbaseballDAD

I am very sorry that things didn't work out for your son, as far as college baseball.  Once again what is important will be his degree earned.  

You came here and started a small paragraph leaving a lot of assumptions, never returned, so you can't really be pissed off at anyone, not sure what you expected.

JMO

HV didn't leave a lot of assumption, people made a lot of assumptions based on his original post. He solicited PMs to share details with those who desired to hear them. Those who made assumptions probably did not take him up on that offer. Finally, he returned one day later and addressed a few of the questions asked on the board. Never seemed to be "pissed off at anyone," as far as I can tell, at least with the folks who responded to his post.

Last edited by SanDiegoRealist

HVBaseballDad,

Thanks for sharing your Tufts experience through a PM.  A PM was the best way to handle and share these details.   I believe every word.  Your son got screwed by a hard selling program that takes exaggeration to a new level.  Plain and simple.  I know the difference between disliking a coach and not respecting a coach as a human being.  

High academic recruits tend to have more than one option when considering their major and college baseball.  If I had a son currently considering Tufts and other high academic schools for baseball, I'd definitley consider others based on your son's experience.   Eight years ago my son was offered by Tufts, and it was 2nd on his list due to its engineering program.  Today, I feel like he dodged a bullet.

I wish you and your son only the best going forward.  You deserve it. 

fenwaysouth posted:

HVBaseballDad,

Thanks for sharing your Tufts experience through a PM.  A PM was the best way to handle and share these details.   I believe every word.  Your son got screwed by a hard selling program that takes exaggeration to a new level.  Plain and simple.  I know the difference between disliking a coach and not respecting a coach as a human being.  

High academic recruits tend to have more than one option when considering their major and college baseball.  If I had a son currently considering Tufts and other high academic schools for baseball, I'd definitley consider others based on your son's experience.   Eight years ago my son was offered by Tufts, and it was 2nd on his list due to its engineering program.  Today, I feel like he dodged a bullet.

I wish you and your son only the best going forward.  You deserve it. 

Wait, what? cmon on Fenway, TPM and RJM already have run this guy out of town...his kid is obviously not getting it done...Tufts is an amazing institution above reproach and certainly shouldn't be criticized by some mortals who have made it abundantly clear they know nothing about college baseball!!

Are you aware the coach as been there since the 80's?? They are in the NESCAC for godsake...

The kid should just thank the good Lord Tufts let him into school (I am sure he didn't have any  other offers to quality schools) There is to be no name calling from the peasants - just send your children, money and shut the hell up!!

Ok little extreme and some sarcasm but the point is pretty damn accurate! Nobody has ever accused me of being a bleeding heart, I compete every damn to make a living but sometimes this place is just a bit over the top!

One other thing, you can get a quality education, play good baseball, become part of the program and become very successful in life without having to lick the boots of some miserable person posing as a baseball coach.

Last edited by old_school

FWIW, there are plenty of websters here who have not had their kids be 100% happy in their situation. They just didnt advertise it here.  Never. Some moved onto other programs others stayed, some played after college, all got degrees, great ones too from great schools.

This happens to players everyday, they get cut,  they dont like the staff, they manage to move on wirt their lives with or without baseball.

So do the parents.

I didnt run the guy out of town, neither did RJ, he did it himself.

Last edited by TPM

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.