Skip to main content

Well mine returned to the mound tonight 11.5 months after surgery. Got an inning in during the wrong end of a blowout. Pitched a 123 inning, it was more emotional than I thought it would be. 13 pitches , boy it's just great to see him doing what he loves again. To those who have sons rehabbing trust the process , and be ready to grab Kleenex when he returns!

BucsFanSon crossed another milestone yesterday.  Saw Dr. Kremchek and team and got the big "green light" to start the long throwing rehab process.  Had him wait until 5.5 months "just because the calendar afforded him that luxury" (Oct. surgery).  He said he might even try to throw his first 45 foot session in the courtyard with one of his teammates last night after flying back to school, that is how excited he is .  I like the fact that he will "enter the rough rapids" during the warm summer months AND be back home working with his local trainers whom we love.

Been a while since I posted. Jeremy reinjured his elbow pitching in the championship league game on Saturday. Not sure of outcome, he is in MRI as I am typing this. Hopefully coach caught it in time. He is very competitive, which is good most of the time, and didn't tell anyone it was hurting. Coach saw something and went to get him, he talked his way into 2 more pitches, then coach took him out. He was pitching a shutout 2 hitter at time into 5th and didn't want to let his teammates down.

he went to MRI alone because he wanted it that way. Wanted to deal with the news himself before he told anyone. if you see this soon pray for him.

chefmike7777 posted:

Been a while since I posted. Jeremy reinjured his elbow pitching in the championship league game on Saturday. Not sure of outcome, he is in MRI as I am typing this. Hopefully coach caught it in time. He is very competitive, which is good most of the time, and didn't tell anyone it was hurting. Coach saw something and went to get him, he talked his way into 2 more pitches, then coach took him out. He was pitching a shutout 2 hitter at time into 5th and didn't want to let his teammates down.

he went to MRI alone because he wanted it that way. Wanted to deal with the news himself before he told anyone. if you see this soon pray for him.

Chef - Praying for good news, brother!

Got me on a roller coaster ride here, Chef!  Was just getting caught up.  Will pray for him anyway.  Anyone who has seen him knows he is a bulldog/competitive, so this is all understandable.  I am convinced it takes 2 years to get back to normal (and will have to be reminded of that many times next year, I am sure!).  Keep us all posted as much as you are willing.

Last edited by BucsFan

I'm glad CHEFMIKE's follow up post was already posted by the time I got around to reading this.  That first post sort of took my breath away, but saw the follow up about 1 minute later and was able to exhale.  Hope you have smoother sailing through the summer and into next season.  Kudos to the coach for protecting the kid at what had to be a very pivotal moment in the game.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
chefmike7777 posted:

he just texted me. No ligament damage at all. Need to spend summer rehabbing flexor mass, no summer ball, He will be good to go for the fall! I can't stop crying - LOL

You probably already did this, but just in case, I would make sure that his surgeon reviewed the MRI and not just a radiologist.

yep, that why the wait until today for the MRI. The did it at Dr Kremchek place. As son at the MRI was over he had a consultation with the Doc.

Wednesday night was a big night.  Not only was it Kidzilla's first time pitching in a college game, it was also his first time pitching in a competitive game since TJS, and the first time pitching in a competitive game in over 14 months.

He was understandably nervous, and therefore didn't have his best "stuff".  But he still did pretty well:

1.0IP, 0R, 1H, 1K, 1WP

The hit was an dribbler up the middle, just hard enough to make the SS dive for it, which allowed the batter to barely beat it out for an infield hit.  The wild pitch was an 0-2 splitter in the dirt blocked out in front of the plate pretty easily by the catcher; but it looked like he forgot how fast the runner was and assumed he wouldn't take off, so he didn't get on it very quickly and by the time he did it was too late.  The other two outs were a routine grounder to 3B and a popup to 3B.

Many tears of rejoicing and relief were shed.  And the entire dugout ran out to him as he came off the field.

Something to build upon...

Thanks for sharing we also shed the tears. From experience I can share our first year back in 2017 was full of ups and downs. Ours came back at 11.5 months got a 1,2,3 inning; we all felt relief , velo was back we were pumped. He really thought he would be built up for multiple innings and again start but he never got strong enough for it.  He had a tough year, his feel was not there and could not control his run on fastball. Add to it the fact he only pitched 1 inning at a time and had to adjust to a reliever schedule it took quite a while to get feel back. He had some great innings and some uncharacteristic rough ones with lots more walks. Summer ball was better with only a couple of rough innings.

Mentally not performing was the toughest struggle. He shut down did not touch a ball for 6 weeks and is now back through throwing program to the point where he is throwing pens and feels great. It is 18 months post surgery and he finally feels good again we can't wait for this season. The plan is to  lengthen him out to start again.

My long winded point to everyone who is going through it, it takes time to truly get the feel and strength back. He thought throwing without pain at the same velo meant he was back but he wasn't.  Our wish for him this year is simple, stay healthy that's it. If he stays healthy at the start of the season it will be 24 months post TJ, the results will come as he has put in the work.

Many thanks to both MrBumstead (for the exciting milestone) and 2014 Dad (for the cautionary tale / insights).  My 2016 RHP is just a couple of months behind (10/21 will be anniversary of TJS).  He is feeling great (actually, instead of "good", he has been saying "fantastic" recently) and has 1 week left of a month long 100% rest of the arm - per Dr's orders.  He did the rehab protocol to the letter from mid April through early Sept.  Upon return, two weeks of long toss before getting back on mound for good - that takes him to mid October.  All of this means he may or may not throw live to hitters this Fall.  To his credit, he (perhaps moreso than I) has the long term perspective.  I'd like to see him at least in a scrimmage to show the coaches what he can do, but HC (also PC) told him in Spring exit interview to just be ready by February.  He is at Ivy school in NE, so the Fall season is not very long, as you can imagine.   I often think of the emotions that will hit me when he is out there in live action (he hasn't thrown live since playoffs his senior year of HS...injury happened after first bullpen on campus last Fall).

Last edited by BucsFan
BucsFan posted:

Many thanks to both MrBumstead (for the exciting milestone) and 2014 Dad (for the cautionary tale / insights).  My 2016 RHP is just a couple of months behind (10/21 will be anniversary of TJS).  He is feeling great (actually, instead of "good", he has been saying "fantastic" recently) and has 1 week left of a month long 100% rest of the arm - per Dr's orders.  He did the rehab protocol to the letter from mid April through early Sept.  Upon return, two weeks of long toss before getting back on mound for good - that takes him to mid October.  All of this means he may or may not throw live to hitters this Fall.  To his credit, he (perhaps moreso than I) has the long term perspective.  I'd like to see him at least in a scrimmage to show the coaches what he can do, but HC (also PC) told him in Spring exit interview to just be ready by February.  He is at Ivy school in NE, so the Fall season is not very long, as you can imagine.   I often think of the emotions that will hit me when he is out there in live action (he hasn't thrown live since playoffs his senior year of HS...injury happened after first bullpen on campus last Fall).

Good news and best wishes going forward to him BucsFan!  Curious, what is the idea behind the month long 100% rest after rehab and prior to long toss?  And also, same question about just two weeks of LT before getting on mound after a full month shut down?  Curious to hear the experts' take on the process.

cabbagedad posted:
BucsFan posted:

Good news and best wishes going forward to him BucsFan!  Curious, what is the idea behind the month long 100% rest after rehab and prior to long toss?  And also, same question about just two weeks of LT before getting on mound after a full month shut down?  Curious to hear the experts' take on the process.

Thanks for good wishes and for the thoughtful questions.  I don't have a lot of detail other than:

1. Month Off:  Dr and therapist literally said "you will have thrown for 4.5 months (the length of the full throwing protocol) and simply need to rest your arm, rest your body."  They even told him to take 2 weeks off from working out (not sure if he did or not...unlikely).  I think the idea was also to get him the time off (albeit a month or two late) that a pitcher normally would have during the year (late July/August).  He will be working hard with PC/HC up through Thanksgiving on "individuals" (ie, bullpens), so I thought it all made decent sense to me.  Also, he did work up to 60 pitches at 90-100% at the end of the protocol.  He said that was cool; all of the coaches and most of the team was watching and pulling for him.

2. I don't think the Dr and his therapists envision him going live just two weeks post LT.  That is the big question and the part that is slightly frustrating (to me, not my son).  If he was just a week or two ahead of this schedule, he could probably throw an inning or two in a Fall game they have vs. another D1 in the area.  But, since he will have just gotten back on the mound (to start his build up to going 100%), he likely will just miss it.  I was hoping we could "thread the needle" and get him live action/competition, but it doesn't seem like it will happen.  I am hoping they at least let him throw a simulated couple of innings before it gets too cold.

In essence, the "experts" told him that once he comes back after the month off, he is "good to go" and build up as he and his coaches/trainers see fit.

Last edited by BucsFan

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.