Skip to main content

The pitching coach from my top school is coming to my next game. What should I do to try to impress him? Throw as hard as I can? show command? off-speed? I am a 2017 RHP who stays about 85-88 at showcases. I have a good slider but rarely throw it for strikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Kanye, how about just being yourself and playing your game.  Often, when a player tried to impress some coach, just the opposite happens.  For example, you might want to put a little more pop on that ball resulting in more balls out of the zone.  A pitcher that doesn't have control doesn't have anything.  When you enter that game, it isn't about you regardless of who is in the stands.  It is always about team.  Coaches notice those things.  So, be a good teammate.  Do what you do which obviously gets you on the field.  Show that you know when to cover 1st base and hustle.  If you do this then you've done all you can do.  Good Luck!

It's basically the same situation, but at another level.  My son got to throw in front of pro scouts yesterday at his summer league's prospect showcase.  He's not eligible for the draft next June....and really had to be talked in to going yesterday.   No live pitching....just a bullpen in front of the scouts.  He was 88-89, good control, curve worked and another pitcher told him that one of the scouts would watch him then write something, watch him then write more.  As soon as he was done, the scout went to talk to his summer coach....and didn't watch the next kid.  On the advice of his PC, he didn't try to overthrow (he's hit 90 in the past)....coach just said "throw like it's practice"...so that's what he did.  He'll see his coach tomorrow and is going to ask what was said.  As they say, "it's a start" 

CoachB25 posted:

Kanye, how about just being yourself and playing your game.  Often, when a player tried to impress some coach, just the opposite happens.  For example, you might want to put a little more pop on that ball resulting in more balls out of the zone.  A pitcher that doesn't have control doesn't have anything.  When you enter that game, it isn't about you regardless of who is in the stands.  It is always about team.  Coaches notice those things.  So, be a good teammate.  Do what you do which obviously gets you on the field.  Show that you know when to cover 1st base and hustle.  If you do this then you've done all you can do.  Good Luck!

Outstanding advice and what else would we expect from the Coach!

For a rising senior, your velocity is fine and rarely seen at the high school level.  Show that coach you are a winner, a team first guy, and can win with the tools you presently have.  Show him those things and he might think "I can see that kid fitting into our program.  If we add some weight training and teach him a pitch or two, I could see that kid pitching on Friday nights down the road." 

Give him a chance to like YOU first and foremost.  As the coach so correctly said, be yourself and let the chips fall where they may.  There is no one else exactly like you.  Be that guy and do not try to be someone else who you think the coach "might" be looking for.  He very well may be looking for someone just like you.   

Show Character. When someone makes a play behind you, recognize it (nothing major, perhaps a pointing of the glove and a "nice job"). If someone makes a great play, really recognize it. Someone boots it, pick 'em up. A teammate crosses the plate, be sure to give him an attaboy. Pregame: do your thing in an energetic fashion. Postgame, regardless of the score or performance: carry yourself with dignity and respect for others. 

You don't know who is watching, when they're watching, and from where they're watching.

kanye87 posted:

The pitching coach from my top school is coming to my next game. What should I do to try to impress him? Throw as hard as I can? show command? off-speed? I am a 2017 RHP who stays about 85-88 at showcases. I have a good slider but rarely throw it for strikes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

He is going to watch carefully how you go about your business and how you act on the field as well as in the dugout.  Thats just as important as your FB or slider.

We were in a showcase tournament down South.  A coach that was recruiting my daughter came early.  BB was out playing catch, running, stretching, ... until game time.  The coach walked over to her and wished her a good game and said that he had seen all he needed to see of her and was headed to another game.  My daughter was somewhat stunned.  Then he said to her that he didn't understand why her teammates weren't out there working as hard as she was to get ready to play a game in front of coaches.  TPM is correct and they do see everything. 

My son was being recruited pretty heavily the summer after his junior year.  This was his first real contact....and the RC had been coming to EVERY game for 3 weeks....even had a visit scheduled.  Week 4, HC shows up....we didn't know he was there....son struggled....struck out a couple times and showed his frustration each time...and during warmups at 3B the following inning.  Calls from RC quit coming....and even called off a visit due to "being out of town".  We saw him again a couple weeks later.  He explained that the HC didn't like my son's body language the day he came to see him and told RC to quit recruiting him.   They  eventually changed their mind somewhat, but we decided that going there wouldn't be a good idea due to the HC already labeling him.  He ended up in a good situation, but that one bad day at the plate and him letting it show could have been costly.    Again, they see everything

Just an FYI, Kevin O'Sullivan had a scout keep eye on son for quite a while.

When you begin to get into the recruiting phase in HS, you will never know who is watching.

Dont worry about your game, there is only so much that is expected of you.  There are things you will learn when you get inti the program.

Coaches are looking for players who are a good fit. They also watch their parents as well. So a lesson for everyone, time to sit back and relax and let them concentrate on your son, not you yelling from the stands.

In our High School Leagues in California, many of the umpires are also part-time scouts.  We had a strong player both physically & with skill set,  who was two years ahead of my son.  He was struggling with the 6th tool, Mental Discipline & Tenacity which in my mind means consistency, and as a High School player I think all are young at controlling emotions too.  (They have not played Poker enough in the dorms or on bus rides yet)  Anyhow, this particular guy would drop F-bombs @ SS with missed plays, of course the field umpire behind second heard them all.  If he struck out, occasionally our Head Coach would walk him all the way down the right field foul line while he was throwing a tantrum in the middle of the game.  oh, and guess whose Dad bought the Gator to rake the base paths & guess who was the only one allowed to drive it ~  Just so happens our Catcher in this guys same grade was drafted in the 4th round out of High School~ We had lots of visitors at games.  The player with the foul mouth ended going to the local college in town. End of Story

I guess this is one of those questions that I have to turn my head sideway at.  So, I'm asking myself why would someone go out of there way to act differently for a scout......shouldn't this be a 24x7x365 effort?    Agree with JOEMKTG character is certainly important.  How about leadership, composure too.  Coaches want guys that are going to solve their problems not guys that are going to create more problems.  Put yourself in the coaches shoes, always.

kanye87 posted:

Certainly impress him with your pitches.   Stay within yourself and don't overthink things.  Always impress him with your positive attitude and competiveness.    At the end of the day, you want to make a good impression to an organization that is considering you.  After you pitch, ask the scout for feedback....what did you do well and what do you need to work on.  JMO.

Agree with things that Coach and Joe said. If a fielder makes a great play behind you, be one of the first to touch gloves with him at the end of an inning. If you are a PO (non-hitting) be involved with the game when your team is up to bat. These intangibles count more than you think. Coaches are looking for a fit in addition to a good fastball. As others have chimed in, be yourself. Good luck to you.

Your performance may play very little in their evaluation. We have seen the comments on here several times that sometimes adversity in front of coaches and scouts is a good thing. They want to see how you react when you are not at your best too. 

PC had seen son pitch in Atlanta and sent RC to watch. Son came in to close and ended up giving up the one run lead. Winning run on third with two outs. Are you going to crumble as you just let the other team back in the game or are you going to battle to keep it tied?

It's gotta be tough, im sure you want to impress him and get an offer at some point. Alot really good advice here so far. I can tell you a times, when my son knew guys were watching, he got a little amped up and while his velo was very good, his location wasnt. Fortunately he was seen quite a bit across many many months and that worked out. Be you and focus on your game and your job. Trust your stuff, it's what got you this far. Good luck!

The best advice I could ever give is just be you!  If you enjoy the game go enjoy things.  Sooner or later, the real you is going to be revealed. For better or worse, you might just as well reveal it right away.

Enjoy showing people/scouts what you got!  Think about how lucky you are to even be in these situations. It is your time to shine!  And if things don't workout the way you want... Guess what, there will be another day.

BTW, being nervous is a good thing.  Enjoy being nervous!  Eat it up, have fun with it!  Be yourself, because that is what every scout and recruiter wants to see.

PG has it right, just be yourself. I actually believe you would be making a mistake acting the way you perceive somebody would want you to act. If they don't like who you are it isn't a fit...I would guess most of the time both sides are looking at and for the same thing anyway.

If you are good enough you will be able to act any damn way you please and someone will over look it, you will be signed but it may limit your choices. All the talk about attitude, bench behavior and the rest is on a sliding scale of talent.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.