Skip to main content

I'm curious when, and at what events your position players were offered by top academic D1's or D3's? Was it after a Nov junior year HF or Showball event, or at an Ivy, D3, Patriot league camp in Feb junior year, or after Sacramento HF event?  

(Noticing a few early pitcher commits to Harvard and Yale on PG)

If your position player was offered during junior year, can tell us when and at what type of an event your son was noticed? What was the tool motivating the coach to offer?

Seems like there are a majority of pitching parents on the site, just curious of the position player timeline with top academics schools.  I'm aware of the late recruiting cycle that is the norm.

Thanks

Last edited by Gov
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My son is a position player in his Jr year. He has gotten some attention by Hi Academic D1- D3 but have been told that they want to see a complete three years worth of semester grades inorder to move to the next level.  They are very reserved in making any more movements beside that. At least to MY son. It is about transcripts of three full years I was told by  a couple RCs.

I am anxious to see if anyone has had the same experience.  

nxt lvl posted:

My son is a position player in his Jr year. He has gotten some attention by Hi Academic D1- D3 but have been told that they want to see a complete three years worth of semester grades inorder to move to the next level.  They are very reserved in making any more movements beside that. At least to MY son. It is about transcripts of three full years I was told by  a couple RCs.

I am anxious to see if anyone has had the same experience.  

Concur, and my 2018 is in similar position.  

My older son is a sophomore outfielder at one of the "little ivies"  to put things in perspective he was and still is 5'10'' an was running 6.7-6.9 s 60's depending on showcase and conditions. threw high 70's low 80's.  He went to the Stanford All stars camp as a CF/P for rising Jrs and got some interest from a few d1s and d3's. no offers but some "we want to see and know you more" Sept 1 emails from d1's and "would you be interested in getting to know school"No real "offers" but did have his travel coach who was an assistant at a local academic D3 say he could start as an OF if he got in. He then got injured and was out of all activity for the fall and part of the winter of his JR. year. D1's were "sorry to hear that about your injury" and all but moved on. He got one request for a visit from a top D3 school during the spring of his Jr. year and continued to get inquiries. fro d3 schools throughout the spring of his jr year to the spring of his Sr. year.  Summer before Sr. yearHe went to Headfirst and Stanford back 2 back. .would not recommend it bc fatigue factor but went as an OF only. ran sub 7 60 again played well. academic d1 coached him at Stanford said he could play at their level but want their OF players to be bigger and hit deep not be lead off type guys. One commented that he should have been a SS not a CF if he wanted to play D1.  little to late for that. Went 2 PG end of summer before and some local USA showcase tournaments. Got some NAIA offers the summer and fall.  Jr travel coach moved on but new travel coach form local NAIA offered him a spot and $ but Son looking for a more academic school. invited fro visits from some NAIA and d 3's fall of Senior year. For D3's son did not apply ED because we wanted to know financial package before any commitments. Went EA and RD. got in some and wait listed on 2. Once we got all the financial packages he chose the best balance between baseball, school and merit $.

Younger son did not go to many showcases because not the "academic" type of kid. got NAIA interest as a catcher with 1.92 pop up and some D3 and JUCU interest to visit. got a couple of offers at NAIA spring of Sr. year but chose to go to local JUCO. 

Our local HS is very poor. That did not help  many of the local schools.  Had a friend whose son is a SS at a stellar private school. was offered a spot his Sr. year at a mid level D1.  6' and around 6.9 60 time. 

My son had 4.0+ average and SAT was 2180 from his fall of jr. year and maybe should have taken it again bc it may have helped for a few schools. Yes they all wanted to know transcripts and SAT for a "preread". 

Hope that helps. 

Gov posted:

If your position player was offered during junior year, can tell us when and at what type of an event your son was noticed? What was the tool motivating the coach to offer?

2014 attends one of the D1 "public ivies".  Plays MIF.  

Committed the summer between sophomore and junior years.  

He was playing 17u WWBA the first week of July on a field in the boonies, but several coaches were there.  Son was up to bat, turned himself around to switch hit, and hit a bomb.  

One coach that was there, was not the head coach at the time, also attended an out of state tournament the next weekend and saw him again.  He talked to son's travel coach after that event to set up an on campus meeting and an offer was made.  Accepted in 3 days.

I believe the coach was at the HS state tournament that June as well.  Son was on a good HS team with an eventual 1st round pitcher.

I think baseball got him in to this high academic school, although he had good, not tip-top, grades.  

My son, who is a freshman at a D3, was first seen by his coach at HF in FL Fall of his junior year.  He talked to his coach at a Top96 event that same Fall.  Then in January they had a significant conversation about his grades, test scores and what kind of school he was looking for.  The coach told him he needed to take a math and science SAT II and apply EA.  Over the next few months, they kept in touch via email, and my son even got a hand-written note from the coach asking him to apply EA.  We met with the coach on campus the summer before senior year, and the coach explained the application process in detail telling us that he would be "sponsored" through admissions, but they had the final say.  My son was invited for a visit during D3 fall baseball, got accepted and loves the baseball team and school.

Gov, you know my 2017 son's story; it closely parallels 2boydads, including SAT scores, size, and speed and what we heard from Ivy coaches, in particular, about what they want from their outfielders. Every high academic coach son dealt with (all private schools) became more interested after they heard his mid Junior year GPA and SAT scores.  At that point we knew it was going to be about the baseball: if he was a good enough player, and they needed someone in his position, his academics were where they needed to be. I would clarify that there were two offers AT the camps (Stanford, but coaches also saw him at Headfirst) and several more in the week or two after (mid July) via phone calls.  The offers were reiterated at on campus visits in September at four schools. The visits made things clear to my son, and he sealed the deal after he got definitive "no's" from his Ivy interests.

Would strongly  support 2boydad's thought about NOT doing Headfirst/Stanford back to back.  These events are stressful in all sorts of ways, physical and otherwise.

Not meaning to highjack the thread but here's a related question I need to resolve for my 2019: Headfirst Sacramento in summer before Jr. year, or Headfirst Jupiter in fall of Jr. year.  2017 went to Jupiter jr. year, and I thought almost all attention was being paid to seniors.  I would like to just focus on Headfirst between jr. and sr. year but I worry that one HF will not be enough.

smokeminside posted:

Gov, you know my 2017 son's story; it closely parallels 2boydads, including SAT scores, size, and speed and what we heard from Ivy coaches, in particular, about what they want from their outfielders. Every high academic coach son dealt with (all private schools) became more interested after they heard his mid Junior year GPA and SAT scores.  At that point we knew it was going to be about the baseball: if he was a good enough player, and they needed someone in his position, his academics were where they needed to be. I would clarify that there were two offers AT the camps (Stanford, but coaches also saw him at Headfirst) and several more in the week or two after (mid July) via phone calls.  The offers were reiterated at on campus visits in September at four schools. The visits made things clear to my son, and he sealed the deal after he got definitive "no's" from his Ivy interests.

Would strongly  support 2boydad's thought about NOT doing Headfirst/Stanford back to back.  These events are stressful in all sorts of ways, physical and otherwise.

Not meaning to highjack the thread but here's a related question I need to resolve for my 2019: Headfirst Sacramento in summer before Jr. year, or Headfirst Jupiter in fall of Jr. year.  2017 went to Jupiter jr. year, and I thought almost all attention was being paid to seniors.  I would like to just focus on Headfirst between jr. and sr. year but I worry that one HF will not be enough.

Smoke, having done the HF Jupiter during junior year, as you did with your older one, my sense was if you had a big 88-90 arm as a junior you got some real attention. Vandy, Duke, William & Mary, Texas, and HPY were on the hunt to acquire top 2018 pitchers.     

I thought the combination of AZ Fall Junior Classic, then 3 weeks later to be at HF Jupiter would be a chance for my 2018 to be seen twice in front of the same group of coaches on his list.  Son's tool is his glove with a line drive bat, he had a decent ACT  first time around to share, but he didn't have speed below 6.8 in the 60, nor did he hit a few out of the park.

He was able to meet coaches, confirm he's on their lists, and he rec'd nice complements on his play, along with a few personal "invites to camps so my other coaches can see you" conversations.

Huge arm, or huge bat with good glove, or top glove with top speed will get noticed.  If either of those has a solid ACT it puts the coach in a strong position to build a class of 2018 recruits.

Last edited by Gov
Gov posted:

I'm curious when, and at what events your position players were offered by top academic D1's or D3's? Was it after a Nov junior year HF or Showball event, or at an Ivy, D3, Patriot league camp in Feb junior year, or after Sacramento HF event?  

(Noticing a few early pitcher commits to Harvard and Yale on PG)

Seems like there are a majority of pitching parents on the site, just curious of the position player timeline with top academics schools.  I'm aware of the late recruiting cycle that is the norm.

Thanks

Gov:  Son recruited as MI/CF. Plays MI in college

Offersne High Academic D3 just prior to Junior year. One D1 (lower down on "Bogey's list") around start of HS season spring Jr year, 1 Middle of "Bogey's list" academic  and one high Academic D1 (Ivy) mid summer prior to Senior Year. Another High Academic D3 offer came on Aug 1 before sr year, after son committed.

Offers came after numerous sightings at Showcases (such as Top 96/Showball/HF). Start of junior year, list narrowed and he attended events where most from "his list" attended.  Attendance at position specific camp at school he committed moved him "up their board."

Tools that drew most interest: Speed (grade 80) and academic record

Feel free to PM.  Good luck!

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.