Skip to main content

remember that you haven't...

Tell me about this play. Bases loaded with one out, top seven and the home team is ahead by a run. Batter hits a sharp ground ball to the first baseman who fields it and fires home. But the ball never gets there! Batter stuck his hands up in the air and deflects the ball...

What's the call? 

"Every Athlete Deserves an Athletic Trainer"

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I've seen it with the runner going from first to second. The runner intentionally killed the first throw. It would have been a routine double play. He raised his hands and waved them going into second. The throw hit him in the arm from behind. The umpire called it a double play. 

I believe in the example posted it seems the runner would have to be intentionally interfering with the play to have the ball hit his hands unless it was an errant throw. 

Last edited by RJM

I've seen it a couple of ways where the runner didn't get hit. Catcher throwing to first after strike 3 in the dirt.

Kid 1 ran with his left hand straight and rigid in the air and he was in the baseline. Catcher made an errant throw. Kid ruled safe. Opposing coach argued that runner intentionally impeded the throwing area of the catcher.

Kid #2 ran in the baseline but weaved and waved both hands in the air as he ran. Kid was called out before reaching 1st due to intentionally impeding the throw.

I don't know if either call was right. Although neither was hit by the ball.

Bulldog 19 posted:

remember that you haven't...

Tell me about this play. Bases loaded with one out, top seven and the home team is ahead by a run. Batter hits a sharp ground ball to the first baseman who fields it and fires home. But the ball never gets there! Batter stuck his hands up in the air and deflects the ball...

What's the call? 

Under HS rules, if the umpire judges a DP was possible (I forget the exact wording, and it might be slightly different in different rules / cases), then two are outs.  Most umpires would have a high threshold for "possible" in this play and just have the batter out and return the runners.

Under OBR, it's just the one out.

Stafford posted:

I've seen it a couple of ways where the runner didn't get hit. Catcher throwing to first after strike 3 in the dirt.

Kid 1 ran with his left hand straight and rigid in the air and he was in the baseline. Catcher made an errant throw. Kid ruled safe. Opposing coach argued that runner intentionally impeded the throwing area of the catcher.

Kid #2 ran in the baseline but weaved and waved both hands in the air as he ran. Kid was called out before reaching 1st due to intentionally impeding the throw.

I don't know if either call was right. Although neither was hit by the ball.

You don't need to actually be hit by the throw to interfere (especially on the D3K scenario).  And, while "intent to interfere" is NOT necessarily interfering, I'm likely to judge that the BR succeeded in his attempt unless I see substantial proof otherwise.

After much discussion, the batter and runner were both called out.  He intentionally threw his hands up to "interfere" with the throw which hit the batters hand.  In addition, the runner was well inside the base path in line with the 1st baseman throwing home.  Needless to say the visiting team wasn't pleased with the call.  

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.