Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Ok, I'll take a swing at this one since no one else has.......Kanye those are some impressive #s.  Like, all of them.  Was this your first showcase?   Do you play summer ball for a showcase team?  Are you new to the idea of playing college baseball?

Your post reads as if you just happened to stumble into an Ivy showcase and have no clue about a recruiting process that for a 2017 is in its final phase. 

If you are what you say you are, then you have a lot to offer.  Not sure what Ivy you were just at but how were you received?  Did any schools there talk w you?

#1 Assistant Coach posted:

Ok, I'll take a swing at this one since no one else has.......Kanye those are some impressive #s.  Like, all of them.  Was this your first showcase?   Do you play summer ball for a showcase team?  Are you new to the idea of playing college baseball?

Your post reads as if you just happened to stumble into an Ivy showcase and have no clue about a recruiting process that for a 2017 is in its final phase. 

If you are what you say you are, then you have a lot to offer.  Not sure what Ivy you were just at but how were you received?  Did any schools there talk w you?

Thanks for the reply. I was approached by an Ivy and Georgetown. I also just got an email from a NESCAC. I went up to the Georgetown camp a few weeks ago and was 85-87. My GPA is only a 3.1 uw and a 3.3 w so I am a little worried that this score is too low for these schools. My test score is a 34 only when superscored (33 reg) but I think most schools take the superscore. 

Is it true that Ivy recruiting is in it's final phase? I have only seen a few kids commit thus far in the summer. I talked to Yale and they said they had 3 of 7 and were looking for 2 more pitchers. Anyways, given my info, Do you think I still have a shot at a lesser ivy like Columbia or Brown. Or should I pursue the NESCAC route? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Without any other context, I'd be concerned about taking on an Ivy academically with a 3.1 GPA, and I would guess that your GPA would be a stumbling block in recruiting, though not necessarily an impassable one given your other numbers.

Notwithstanding that, if you're sitting mid/upper 80s as a 2017, there's somewhere for you to play with that GPA and ACT. You should probably be further down the road than where you appear to be based on your questions here, though. If I were you, I'd be putting together a list of schools I was interested in (and thought I'd be successful at) academically, and reaching out to the coaches there ASAP.

Your ACT is really high, while your GPA and uw GPA is low for Ivy and indicates lack of the rigor they want to see. There are certainly good D3 schools that would love to have you, but with your ACT and your velo, I'd spend a year or two at Juco kicking academic and baseball ass.  If you do that you can take your pick of pretty much any school in the country.

When my son went through recruiting the two interested Ivies were looking for an unweighted 3.5 with several AP courses plus a 1300+ SAT (Math and English). 1300+ is equal to a 28 ACT on the conversion chart I found. The NESCACs and comparable D3s he spoke with soph year were looking for the same.

Maybe your 34 ACT score will allow a little leeway on grades. Is your 3.3 unweighted or weighted? If unweighted with a lot of AP and high honors classes it may be ok if the coach wants to really push for your acceptance.

Last edited by RJM

The short answer is yes, however you still have a lot to prove to the coaches and the Admission Committee.  Pitching is more than MPH and a good student is much better than an average GPA with a high ACT.  The ivy & nescac coaches take their direction from the admissions committee.   If I was an Ivy coach I'd have alot of questions about your academic work ethic or possibly the high school you went to.  I understand there can be extenuating circumstances with ultra competitive high schools.  If that is the case, you need to get your story out   Again, if I was an Ivy coach I'd keep you on the list to see again, but I'm not sold that it would be easy for you or the Coaching staff to get you through Admissions.

As for this statement....."Anyways, given my info, Do you think I still have a shot at a lesser ivy like Columbia or Brown. Or should I pursue the NESCAC route? Any help is greatly appreciated.   There are no lesser Ivys and certainly a NESCAC school is not going to be much easier to get into academically.  All of these schools are highly selective on the academic end.  You should familiarize yourself with these schools and their process for athletes.  This website is chock full of information on that topic.

Yes, Ivy recruiting is happening right now with recruits they've seen multiple times.  If this is a direction you want to go in, you need to be seen and you need to reaching out to these schools at this very moment.

Good luck!

I have heard and seen there is a chart the Ivy's use to evaluate athletes.  It gives a score based on your GPA, SAT, ACT, class rank.  I cannot remember what it is called.  But basically if I remember correctly a "normal" Ivy student's # is around 215 or higher.  They allow a certain amount of athletes 200-210, 190-200, 180-190 and I think the lowest they allow is a 172.  But there are only 1 or 2 of those players.  If anyone can post what this chart is called...??  Also, just an FYI - normal admissions to Ivy's and Patriot League schools look for "consistency"....if your GPA is 3.8 or higher with lots of AP classes and your SAT/ACT is 1300 or 28 and higher they know you test well and do well in school.  A high SAT/ACT score and a low GPA is a red flag for them.  I know a boy who has connections at a competitive Patriot League school, had 2100 on his SAT but his GPA was 3.3 and he did not get in.  BUT he was not an athlete.  Best wishes to you...and please remember it is not just getting into the school it is being able to stay there and do well.  I am posting this from personal experience.  Sometimes it is best to go to a school that is 1 level below where you think you should be academically. 

Your velo has reached a level where an Ivy would be interested - but not close to the top of a recruiting class.  

Your ACT is fine.

Your grades are the issue.  For that to pass admissions, your HS better have an incredibly difficult curve, or have a narrative to explain the big difference between grades and scores.

If you were the absolute top tier recruit (projected future Baseball America college all-star) for a school, the coach may be able to get you through admissions; otherwise probably not.  The velo doesn't put you close to the top (but it would play very well if you get there).  You will know where you fit in the recruiting hierarchy by invitations for Official Visits (for the Ivies);  the earlier in the semester, the better.  If you are offered an OV in the first weekend, you're  on the short list.

Note also, that NESCAC is D3. D3 recruiting can be brutal because of the uncertainty in getting through admissions coupled with no NLI or LL. Since you would be at the low end of the academic spectrum from many of these schools, the admissions uncertainty could play havoc with your plans.

IMO, if you get an offer from an Ivy, take it, get your completed app in the first day, keep in close touch with the coach on the special admissions committee meetings and schedule and the results once the committee meets, and keep your recruiting options going until you get word that a Likely Letter is coming. This means that your teachers need to be on board to write your LORs, the guidance counselor needs to be on board , etc. - because the app needs to be completed and submitted no later than the end of September (and that is well before most every other student and HS has geared up).

Remember, were only talking Ivy and NESCAC. Your grades, scores and velo means there are plenty of colleges which would want you.  But, if you can leverage your baseball into an Ivy or NESCAC, the impact on future options could be huge.  (I would not have any concerns that your HS grades are any indication of being able to succeed in an Ivy; you'll be fine once you learn how to productively study.)

With your grades an IVY is a super stretch.  Even if you were god's gift to baseball, it would still be a super stretch.  Your test scores will help -- but not that much on their own.   Pretty much same is true of NESCAC.   There are lots of kids with significantly better grades and equally good or better test scores  that get turned down by such schools.   Plus you velo -- though about average for starters at competitive D3's is not STANDOUT velo.  

What's the rest of your story?   Do you have a compelling story to tell about yourself?   My son, who was not anything close to an academic superstar, by any means -- got into schools that I thought he had little or no chance of getting into, largely because he wrote some very strong personal statements that told a really compelling story about his journey -- and this was echoed by his letter writers. 

So it can be done .... but it's a tough slog. 

I would' t put my eggs in that basket if I were you.  There are LOTS of good liberal arts colleges and also state schools that would be happy to have you.   Some of them even play highly competitive baseball. 

Don't go for the name brand.  Go for the best fit.   I know so many students your age are busy chasing the prestige of the elite schools, in the belief that somehow they alone are the ticket to a good life.   It's just not true. Don't buy into the hype.  Look for a place that fits you, that you will thrive at.   There is definitely a place out there for you. 

Last edited by SluggerDad

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.