Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Not sure about confirmation number-i am just a dad. Yes there is great pitching and the umpires for the most part were great for pitchers they gave the corners. (though one of our pitchers had 3 balks called on him that cost us a couple runs in a tight game never had one called on him before or since but what can you do)
Anyway last year there were 40 some teams and I didn't see any cupcakes in the games I saw. Top notch talent.
Last edited by Baseball Dad 46
quote:
Originally posted by gamefan:
In your experience, what's the scout level like at the 16u and 15u tournament? Clearly, the 17u must be packed - but do the colleges hang around for the weeks after and see the younger guys?

gamefan,
Last year at 15U I did not see, or hear about, any scout at all. Kids that age get excited when scouts are around, so I think the word would have spread amongst the kids if any were there.
Our Braves team played in the 17u tourney as 16's, and did pretty well. But that team was loaded with pitching to the extreme. Scoring was a big challenge for us, as I recall.

There were not scouts at the 16u when I was last there, but that's been 2 1/2 years ago. Early signings are becoming increasingly common, but I still wouldn't expect to see a lot of college guys there for a third straight week. That is really crunch time for them in dealing with rising seniors, so it's hard to be on the road all the darned time.

The 17u event is extremely heavily scouted. Even the 18u event is heavily scouted, even though most teams are full up by then and a lot of the players have already committed as well.
How important is this event?

Here is a link to a site with a team photo of the 2005 summer 15u WWBA champions:

http://www.eteamz.com/08braves/index.cfm?

The current status of those players is:

Front row, left to right: Freshman on baseball scholarship at VCU; freshman on scholarship at Maryland; MLB draft pick and freshman starting pitcher (Friday nights!) at UVA, also playing 1B when not pitching; current HS junior with commitment to Richmond.

Middle row: Current HS senior, signed NLI to Richmond (MVP of the 15u tourney); unknown; freshman on scholarship to Vanderbilt; freshman at Marietta, Division III perennial contender.

Back row: MLB draft pick and freshman, weekend starting pitcher at UVA; MLB draft pick and freshman, weekend starting pitcher at Wake Forest; 2008 draftee and $1.25 million signee with Kansas City Royals; MLB draft pick and freshman pitcher on scholarship to N.C. State.

Not pictured: MLB draft pick, current freshman starting pitcher and starting 1B at Wake Forest.

You gotta have talent, but you also gotta get to where you can put it on display. The 15u is a good place to start.
Last edited by Midlo Dad
quote:
Originally posted by LHPMom2012:
I tried to find the answer on the website for this tourney, but no luck, so I figured someone here might know:

Since this is a 2012 or U15 tourney, that does mean that U15 players who are 2011 are eligible, right? Does anyone know if this tourney uses the current April 30 cut-off, or are they still on the old July 31 date?

LHPMom

The 2012 WWBA tourney would be the 16U tourney...the 15U tourney would be considered 2013.

We will be at the 16U tourney with the Blue Chip Bulls this year. Were at the 14U tourney last year with our long-time summer team the SC Heat...we had a good tournament and can't wait to get back there.
Last edited by scdigger

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.