Skip to main content

Interesting use of social media by Yale.

Tucker Frawley (@INFchatter) tweeted at 10:01 AM on Sun, Dec 18, 2016:

HS/ Travel Coaches-
We'd love to hear about your 2018s w/ high academic credentials & D1 playing ability.
Email: tucker.frawley@yale.edu
(https://twitter.com/INFchatter...545531755855872?s=09)

Get the official Twitter app at https://twitter.com/download?s=13

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy S® 6.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I also think Tucker is a great guy, but he is also a very smart guy.  When you typically have to find a "needle in a huge haystack" why not get a couple hundred travel coaches to bring you these needles before they get thrown into the haystack.  

This is a guy who has built a sterling reputation over the years.  He will be a HC (somewhere) very soon.  What I like about TF is that he sets expectations up front, keeps recruits up dated on their progress and educates them about the unique Ivy process in his tweets and blogs. 

2020.2023dad posted:

What ACT/SAT is a Yale/Princeton looking for, for a baseball player ( D1 calibur position player--I know that's a broad range) ?  

Avg ACT for Yale roster is a 31 per Yale RC Tucker Frawley.  

Avg A.I. (Academic Index) is a 215 per Princeton AC Russo. (215 is roughly a 3.75 GPA and a 31 ACT)

2020.2023dad posted:

What ACT/SAT is a Yale/Princeton looking for, for a baseball player ( D1 calibur position player--I know that's a broad range) ?  

You can also check Perfect Game's historical commitments for individual schools (College > College Baseball > College Commitments). Many of the 2014/2015/2016 Yale commits have either SAT or ACT scores listed. Those probably won't be 100% accurate (some players may not have updated their profile with latest scores), but they will give you an idea of the range.

There's been a lot of threads and comments on average ACT / SAT scores over the years.  One of my sons was below that average Yale ACT and GPA and he was recruited.  His fastball velocity was way above Ivy average so I'm sure that helped.  There were other recruits offered who were way above him and the average in both GPA and ACT. 

The population of kids (and prospective players) pursuing college has been at a peak, and is now declining just a bit.  I've been blown away by the academic stats of the accepted class at my youngest's decent, but not highest, academic school...between a 29-30 average ACT.  That number has continued to climb over the years as his school (and many others) were getting more and more selective.  And many more kids are taking test prep too.

There are many on this site more expert than me in Ivy recruiting.  The numbers are off the charts for kids who want to play at one of these eight schools.  But it's tough sledding.  Roughly 8-9 kids per recruiting class, so only about 70 players per year get recruited.  And I'd swag half of those as pitchers.

MidAtlanticDad posted:
2020.2023dad posted:

You can also check Perfect Game's historical commitments for individual schools (College > College Baseball > College Commitments). Many of the 2014/2015/2016 Yale commits have either SAT or ACT scores listed. Those probably won't be 100% accurate (some players may not have updated their profile with latest scores), but they will give you an idea of the range.

I was waiting as long as I could before I got the premium subscription that allows you to see test scores.  

As Fenway mentioned , Coach Frawley sends a number of emails to recruits about both the Program and Ivy league recruiting. 

His blog from his website provides valuable information about Ivy recruiting, timelines, academic standards and transcripts. Here is the link: http://www.frawleybaseball.com/blog.

Here's what he notes about baseline targets for recruits to strive to achieve:

3.5+ Unweighted GPA

4.0+ Weighted GPA (Factors in Honors and AP classes)

2000+ SAT

30+ ACT

2 AP classes during Junior Year

4-5's on AP Tests

My son is a college second baseman (Frawley's college position) - so I  can appreciate an occasional look at Frawley's InfChatter twitter, which gives much video and techniques of MI in MLB and college. 

TF recruited my son this past summer for the 2017 class, and he thought he was the best RC out there.  Straight shooter and good communicator.  That's not always the case as we've come to discover.  We were all a little bummed when that opportunity did not materialize, but the experience was a positive one nonetheless.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.