Yet another Arm Rest question

So, several of my HS players kept playing during summer/fall but most cut back to throwing just a day or two a week, just enough to keep up arm strength to play occasional tourneys and/or occasional camp.  Several also threw a short bullpen once a week for about twelve weeks.  

With this info in mind, is it still necessary/recommended to take a full two months off?  I know this will obviously vary from player to player and hinge largely on how the arm feels.  But, generally, does a lighter throwing load for 3-5 months change the approach or necessity for full rest before ramping back up?  Do you consider it significantly different that an arm didn't throw every day like they do in-season?

Original Post

You know I'm new to this whole baseball concept with a young 2020, BUT, I was told by a Doctor baseball dad that the arm needs time to rest to address micro-tears, and even light throwing can keep them open.  No over hand throwing for 2 months, month to ramp back up.  During those two months basketball is fine to play, and a weighted plyoball program with zero pitching, where it's more like a shotput throw into a wall, is best for pitchers, and the towel drill is helpful.  Same applied to position players, they should work on strength during that time but no overhand throwing.

Add Reply

Likes (1)
Midwest Mom