Search

Re: New Catching Book

jerry weinstein ·
Ian Thanks.Glad you liked it. In the DR for the next week. Call me when you have time 805-801-5282. JW

Re: New Catching Book

jerry weinstein ·
This book is all inclusive.it covers EVERYTHING.All skills + huge game management & pitch calling element. JW
Topic

New Catching Book

jerry weinstein ·
Check this book out on coachingcatchers.com. I really think your followers(Coaches,catchers & parents of catchers) will really benefit by reading this detailed book on catching.(267pages with 400+f ML photos) Jerry Weinstein jwbbslo on the catching blog

Re: Catchers calling pitches

jerry weinstein ·
Originally Posted by Stats4Gnats: Originally Posted by jerry weinstein: Originally Posted by jerry weinstein:… Relative to catcher's calling their own games :If they do not, it is the coach's responsibility to review the game pitch by pitch after the game Ultimately, if the catcher learns how to call the game as well as the coach, you will have a better game(tempo) & have a better chance of winning…. I’ll keep my comments focused on talking about the HSV level here. I happen to agree...

Re: Catchers calling pitches

jerry weinstein ·
Folks: A few thoughts on this topic. Less on the value of the catcher calling the game. More on the reality of pitch calling. Relative to catcher's calling their own games :If they do not, it is the coach's responsibility to review the game pitch by pitch after the game Ultimately, if the catcher learns how to call the game as well as the coach, you will have a better game(tempo) & have a better chance of winning. 1. The primary responsibility on the type of pitch thrown & the...

Re: Holding Running at 2B

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: Keep it simple. Start SS on runner or second baseman, if he is responsible for holding the runner, close to 2B.Shortstop/second baseman either releases the pitcher to pitch with a step back,a wave, or a step to the hole(4 or 6 hole.)If they feel that they can pick the runner as a result of his distance off the base or his momentum moving away from the base they break to the base with an open glove(SS) or an open hand(2B). If the infielder releases the pitcher to pitch & the pitcher...

Re: Pitchers covering first base

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: Things have changed on how to execute this technique in the last 5 or 6 years because of the speed of the game.Pitchers run a more direct route to the base. Most run to the cut & turn up the line in fair territory at the cut. They hit the base with their right foot & push off into fair territory. We like to put a stop watch on this route with the goal to get to the base in 3.5 seconds or faster.Get the ball early from the 1st baseman or second baseman(ball in the 4 hole that...

Re: Receiving Pitches - To sway or not to sway

jerry weinstein ·
Great response from p1aa_ump.Good umpires are distracted by movement.Your job is not to create strikes or enhance the strikes.You don't have to add to the process to ensure that pitches will be called strikes.Just make sure not to distract from the process. It should be about the umpire & the ball.The more that you insert yourself into the process the more strikes are turned into balls. The keys to maximize strikes: 1. In non running situations catch the ball up to the plate. 2. Beat the...

Re: calling pitches and reading batters

jerry weinstein ·
GT, Here are some general thoughts from a book on catching I am in the process of publishing. PITCH CALLING STRATEGY This is the most important responsibility you have and it is the biggest contribution you will make to a win on any given day. You will affect the game more by calling 140 pitches than you will with four productive at bats. This is all based on the pitcher. You must know your pitcher. If you had a choice of playing against a team that you never played against or catch a...

Re: Receiving Pitches - To sway or not to sway

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: I'm very much against swaying.The less movement, the more strikes. On strikes or "straballs" when you lose contact with the umpire( sway away from the umpire or sway into the umpire's visual lane), fewer strikes will be called.Umpires will call strikes balls before they call balls strikes & movement gives them permission to call strikes balls. Catchers must be able to cover 22"(17" plate + 2 1/2" on each side) without moving. In a non running situations get there early, catch it...

Re: Posey's collision

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: As long as the current rules apply, catchers better expect to get hit.For me the goal is to avoid injury while still giving yourself the best chance to record the out.With that in mind I'm trying to avoid conatct or at worst absorb contact.Some really important guidelines: 1. Know your runners & the situation. A. Nyjer Morgan vs.David Eckstein B. Inning, outs & score.Etc. 2. Keep your head on a swivel. Know the position of the runner relative to the position of the ball. Assume...

Re: Pop Time & Velo

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Lots of great info. As we factor it down, it becomes apparent throwing velocity is a key ingredient in low pop times.Build arm strength & throw with intent. That "nice & easy just get rid of it fast approach" will generally not cut it. I prefer the "turn it loose mother goose" approach. Yes I know that accuracy will suffer,but the get rid of it quick approach generally does not produce the player's best glove to glove times.Accurate & late is still a stolen base & 2.20...

Re: How about Coach Weinstein becoming a Big Leaguer!!

jerry weinstein ·
Thanks Freddie. Very excited to have this special opportunity.Will certainly continue to participate in the web site. JW

Re: Location

jerry weinstein ·
Folks, Lots of interesting buzz on this topic.(LOCATION)I have a couple thoughts regarding some of the posts. 1. I'm a big believer in "on or out in three." To that end I really believe in throwing a quality out pitch on 0-2 counts. I am not trying to waste a pitch by throwing a "wasted" pitch ( i.e. the 55' breaking ball or the 10' chain link fastball)because that leads to the necessity to throw a 4th pitch(usually intended to be a fine strike) that is so far away from the release point of...

Re: Location

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: 68% of all fairly hit balls are outs in the Big Leagues. Pitch to contact. One of the biggest problems in baseball today is that pitchers corner pitch away from contact too frequently.You wold be amazed how many outs you would get by working down over the middle of the plate with more than one speed(7-10 speed spreads)& elevating an occasional 4 seam fastball. Also as far as a goal for hitting your target with the fastball is concerned, the Inside Edge data base shows that Major...

Re: Pregame Infield

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Some thoughts on this topic: 1. On the road start your infield with a C&R situation so that your OF's & INF's can work on their alignments & depth & get used to the OF distances(ie. runner on 1b EBH LF line,LCF,RCF & the RF line.) 2.When you start your OF's throwing, let them do all their throwing at once while they are loose. ( LF throws to 2B then home instead of going all the way around with throws to 2B & then back to throw home.An added thought on OF...

Re: Hockey Style Mask vs Mask/Skull Cap

jerry weinstein ·
Guys: IMO No brainer,the hockey mask is much safer. I saw too many one handed low finishes this summer where catchers got drilled in the side of the mask, helmet or head.Also you are more protected on colision plays. We had two umpires miss significant time with concussions. I'm not sure about any catchers missing time. Additionally from a performance perspective the hockey mask offers some advantages: 1. Wider field of vision. 2. Don't have to remove your mask on low pops( also usually not...

Re: Catcher with easy arm action.

jerry weinstein ·
Coach2709, IMO most of the best catchers throw tall.Look at the 1st clip I downloaded. It's part of the process that most efficiently transfers energy up the kinetic chain.IMO it's very tough to throw effectively when you are compressed.I do believe it is somewhat pitch dependent,but in general most ML catchers are very upright when they release the ball.The one pitch you MAY see a little more knee flex at release is the ball in to a LHH where the catcher has to swing out away from the...
Topic

Catcher with easy arm action.

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Here is another video of a ML catcher throwing to 2B to evaluate. Notice the "effortless effort". Very easy arm action + compact with excellent direction. No wasted energy going away from his target. Head & eyes level & leading with his elbow. Glove staying in the "box". JW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CYJeUET_Kw
Topic

A+ ML Throw out at 2B.

jerry weinstein ·
A little late lateral head snap but overall, this is as good as it gets.( Low 1.8's) JW http://www.youtube.com/results...e+by+ML+catcher&aq=f

Re: base stealing philosophy

jerry weinstein ·
NDD, I'd show them the video & see how they organize their body as they model what they see. At the same time I would video them so they can see what they are doing & compare it to the best base stealers.It's basically copy what you see. Follow your dance partner.From there they can develop their own cues to accomplish the "directional drop step." It's one of those "guided discovery" deals.The best lessons are self taught. IMO the least amount of verbage the better.Too often we tend...

Re: base stealing philosophy

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Here is a vital move that very few teach, the "directional drop step".Every top "basestealer" does it to a lesser or greater extent. It seems like you are losing ground but in reality you are gaining ground & positive direction with your top half & it puts your arms & legs in sync immediately.Most have not been taught this move. They do it instinctively because that is the way their bodies organize each one to accomplish the goal of getting to second as fast as is humanly...

Re: Adjustments for a change-up

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, IMO the change is a lot easier to develop than we have stated. I think that trying to come up with an absolute relative to speed or % of fastball velocity is counter productive. Every pitcher is different due to all the variables inherent in pitching ( delivery/deception,arm slot,movement etc.)The hitter will tell you what the correct speed differential is for that pitcher. There has been a lot of talk about the change being effective based on the hitter swinging & missing. IMO...

Re: how to get that low pitch for a strike

jerry weinstein ·
A. Catching 101 is spot on. Thumb protectors fall in the same category as the protective cup. Don't leave home without it. You are going to get "thumbed" no matter how good you are. You are always at risk on glove side sinkers.Once you get thumbed, your probably going to have to deal with it offensively & defensively for a long time. B. #1 Your job as a catcher is to make sure that every strike is called a strike.Trying to turn balls into strikes is a losing strategy.You want to ensure...

Re: A downside of stealing without a take--tentative batters?

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Most premium ML base stealers run on their own. If you are hitting behind a base stealer( i.e Pierre, Reyes, Crawford, etc.) you have to be willing to take pitches early in the count to allow them to run. If you happen to be a middle of the line up run producer, the ground rules may be such that you will swing at balls that you can elevate the ball in the gaps( hanging breaking balls & fastballs in your hard contact zone).The manager will set the guidelines before the fact to put...

Re: Ruling on ball in the dirt and hitting batter/runner

jerry weinstein ·
I'm responding to this from a manager's prospective.Regarding the above post, the PBUC Umpire Manual clearly defines this exact situation in 4.16(pg.40).It is an interpretation of 7.09(a) in the Official Rule Book providing that the batter-runner be called out for interference if "after a third strike he hinders the catcher in his attempt to field the ball." PLAY:First base unoccupied or two outs.Strike three not caught.Batter-runner unintentionally kicks,touches, or otherwise deflects the...

Re: Ruling on ball in the dirt and hitting batter/runner

jerry weinstein ·
If the ball/runner contact occurs up the 1B line where the batter-runner has had a chance to avoid the ball, he is out.Still a judgment call based on whether the umpire feels that the batter runner had enough time to avoid the ball. JW

Re: Runner on 2b - Controlling Running Game w Timing

jerry weinstein ·
This type of leap steal technique was developed in the early 60's at the Kansas City Royals Academy in Florida. Joe Tanner, Buzz Keller & Syd Thrift were the architects of the technique. They theorized that pitchers were predictable because they were creatures of habit. They charted the pitcher in 3 areas. What was his maximum # of looks, did he look at 2nd & throw home or did he look to home & throw home, & what was his tempo once he got to where he was going to be when he...

Re: Runner on 2b - Controlling Running Game w Timing

jerry weinstein ·
IMO the key to stopping the running game at 2B is to cotrol the runner's momentum.Very few base stealers can steal 3B from a stationary lead.(Yes a ++ runner with a long lead can steal 3B) Keeping the process simple is imperative so that the pitcher can efficiently execute his pitch which is the key element in the equation.Expediting the process,as bsballfan intimated, is important. The longer it takes, the greater chance the runner at second will have momentum & the chance of of your...

Re: Staying Closed

jerry weinstein ·
CaDad, As far as direction is concerned, even the extreme counter rotators( Tiant/Jared Weaver),try to get back on line by rotating into foot plant. Weaver's stride line is pretty closed but his stride foot is straight. I think that this allows him to reduce the amount of "forearm flyout" ( a Marshall term that indicates that the throwing forearm is moving away from the head in a horizontal arc outside of vertical.)Yardbird indicted that this puts stress on the shoulder.For me, it puts a lot...

Re: Catcher Footwork

jerry weinstein ·
I would only agree with the previous post rating release over throwing velocity if the release was very slow (26+ frames on a 30 frame/second video)In general, if you throw 2.00, 2/3 of the trowing time is ball flight.If you improve release at the expense of ball flight, you may become slower.You have to look at the total picture. The better ML catchers are 19-22 frames from catch to release with 35-40 frames of ball flight. This is very much pitch dependent. Elevated fastballs produce the...

jerry weinstein ·
Jared Weaver is an extreme counter rotator. His stride leg & foot go well past the rubber & his shoulders line up with the shortstop. The only way he can come out of this loading phase is to swing his leg & land somewhat closed. However his stride foot is not closed & he is still rotating into foot plant. My concern is when a pitcher's direction is so closed that he cannot apply force efficiently & he increases his chances of injury.

jerry weinstein ·
Fistly,I am of the opinion that there are no bad cues. If it works for you whether it is biomechanically sound or not, it is a good cue if it puts YOU in a position to be execute your pitches.Our bodies interpret verbal cues in different ways. Secondly there are virtually no absolutes(always or nevers) that aply to every pitcher. That leads us into the cue "stay closed". A cue that is very general & highly interpretive to me. Does it mean hips & shoulders closed? Does it mean...

Re: Delivery time to the plate

jerry weinstein ·
For LHP'S, the only break time that matters is the break time on his slide step.( Which is more of a knee to knee scissors action 6 cleat move)THAT needs to be in the 1.2 range to be effective.When you use your knee lift move, it is a guessing game.If you guess wrong & the runner is running on your 1st move, he is most likely going to be safe especially if you pick insted of pitch & your pick is slow. I would be more concerned with the time it takes you to pick to 1st on the lift...

Re: Delivery time to the plate

jerry weinstein ·
It's more than just 1.2.( RHP'S) Hold tempo becomes a factor also, both long & short so you do not become predictable. When you become predictable, no matter how quick you are, base stealers can time your delivery & leave early. This takes a concerted effort in pens to get used to shorter & longer holds before pitching. This is especially true for long holds which most pitchers are uncomfortable executing. The majority of your big pitches in games are going to be made from the...

Re: Throwing question...

jerry weinstein ·
Redbird, Good comment. Serves as a reminder to all of us that this is not an exact science.There are no "always or nevers" in this game.We need to look at forums like this more like a buffet table. We take what we like & what works for us. There are no absolutes. What works for one player may not work for another. Players need to have a filter so they can figure out what is best for them. The best & most long lasting lessons are self taught. That is why players need info so that they...

Re: Throwing question...

jerry weinstein ·
I think that we are splitting hairs here relative to elbow or hand leading the transfer. Both cues achieve the desired result & it's truly difficult to discern what initiates the separation. For me, the key is that the ball( On pitches within your body or to the glove side)does not come to rest in your glove.It is a "ricochet" exchange where the ball drops down from the bottom of the glove into the throwing hand.(Somewhat height dependent)Ideally this transfer takes place in front of...

Re: Sending/holding runners as 3B coach

jerry weinstein ·
This is most always situationally dependent,however you can't score runs unless you try to score runs.In general most 3rd base coaches tend to be too conservative relative to scoring runners or not scoring runners. If you are more aggressive, your base runners will be more agressive which gives you a better chance of scoring when you try to score them.The key is they are running hard(their best speed)expecting you to score them.It is next to impossible to score a runner on a close play if he...

Re: Pronation: Changeup?

jerry weinstein ·
Look at videos frame by frame. After release the thumb pronates on every pitch. It is the body's way of decellerating the arm and protecting the elbow joint. The elbow joint is a hinge joint and without pronation the olecranon process(tip of the ulna)will slam into the olecranon fossa(basically the elbow joint where the ulna connects to the humerus). IMO those that protect their elbow joint best pronate earlier than those who do not pronate early.Whether they pronate early or late, pitchers...

Re: 1st and 3rd - what do you teach (offense)

jerry weinstein ·
Anticipate the 3rd to 1st move & use it against the defense. [ You can set the defense up to use the 3rd to 1st move with the right kind of lead at 1st]The runner at 3rd breaks as soon as the pitcher turns to throw to 1st. The runner at 1st starts to 2nd & as soon as the pitcher turns to pick at 3rd & starts back to 1st as soon as the pitcher turns to 1st after feighting to 3B. The runner at 1st must be far enough off 1B that the pitcher has a play only if he throws immediately.

Re: Side to Side

jerry weinstein ·
Many catchers are deficient moving side to side because they have too much weight forward in their stances.Their back is too flat & they have too much weight centered over the balls of their feet. Try more of an upright stance(back more vertical than horizontal). The feet should be flat with the weight more on the inside of your feet without excessively tipping the knees inside your feet. Additionally on balls in the dirt to the side, the off shin guard needs to touch down before the...

Re: keeping weight on back foot

jerry weinstein ·
No. Working on a new book/e-book/video on catching that has taken on a life of its own. Currently 300+ pages & still unfinished. Hard to work on it during the season.I hope to finish it this off season. JW

Re: keeping weight on back foot

jerry weinstein ·
Try these two drills. 1.POSITIVE DIRECTION DRILL-Turn sideways to your target so that your pivot foot is perpendicular or near perpendicular(toe slightly ahead of heel) to your target.Get down on your left knee so that your left knee is lined up with your right instep.Rock back on your right foot keeping your weight on the inside edge of your pivot foot & your pivot foot knee inside your pivot foot.Rock back & load your back side as you get up to throw. This drill insures that you...

Re: Receiving low pitches

jerry weinstein ·
Good stuff guys.Try rolling your thumb up as you catch the ball(especially on the low middle & low out pitch).This keeps the ball from controlling the glove & it raises the hight of those critical "strballs" that you need called strikes.When the ball hits the glove, all action stops. This is a one piece move & is hardly discernable to the naked eye but is very effective in keeping the ball in the strike zone. I 1st saw this technique with the Asian catchers in International play.

Re: Force at home...

jerry weinstein ·
Start with your right foot in the middle of the plate,left foot slightly forward,squared up to the throw,knees bent(soft position) & anticipating poor throw.If the throw is off line, step to the throw with your left foot. If is way wide, catch the ball & try to salvage the out at home when ever possible.If that is not possible try to get the out at 1B. If that is also not possible arm fake & look for the runner from 2B rounding 3B. If the throw is on line move to the ball with...

Re: Blocking - no runners on

jerry weinstein ·
I respectfully disagree with the previous two posts.This is not going to be a popular post. Where do you draw the line on "taking the path of least resistance"? When I hit a routine ground ball to 2nd, do I run 3/4 speed so that I will not increase my chances of pulling a muscle? When I get caught in a rundown, do I let them tag me out to reduce the chances of an injury or do I work hard to escape or induce obstruction . You want respect in this game you play it one way, the right way &...

Re: Blocking - no runners on

jerry weinstein ·
Block everything. protect the umpire so that he can hang in there & do his job.It keeps the tempo of the game moving.It keeps your pitcher in a positive mind set in that he does not see his errant pitches rolling to the backstop.It give the pitcher confidence in your ability & allows him to throw all his pitches aggressively & with trust even with a runner on 3B knowing that you will block it.Finally it will condition your skills. Blocking balls in the dirt is a conditioned...

Re: Signs w/ man on 2nd

jerry weinstein ·
Guys, Even in Major League Stadiums with the best lighting, some pitchers will have trouble seeing your signals. It seems to happen a lot on the road as a result of your grey pants. Any one of the previously mentioned signal sets can be adapted to your night set or sets. Have a touch spot for all your pitcher’s pitches and locations as well as a spot for your picks. For example: Rt.thigh-FB Rt. side of the plate. Lft.thigh-FB Lft. side of the plate. Crotch-FB Middle Chest- Change Mask-...

Re: Signs w/ man on 2nd

jerry weinstein ·
Guy, SIGNAL GIVING OPTIONS WITH A RUNNER ON SECOND The following are some signal giving options with a runner on second. Have enough sets that you can find one that each pitcher is comfortable with. It is better to use signs that are too simple rather than too complex. Sometimes you can just eyeball the runner on second and give one signal when he is not looking. Just be certain that he is not looking. Make sure that when you are using a given sequence that the live signal doesn’t always...

Re: Catcher gets plowed!

jerry weinstein ·
Hardball: IMO really POOR advice.If the runner is not trying to run you over and you have the ball early, tag him out & get out of there.If you have the ball early and the runner tries to run you over, then & only then, he has earned a high hard tag. If you have the ball early enough & can move up the line towards 3rd, just side step the runner & sweep tag him from behind.Avoid meeting him straight on where you can jam your wrist as a result of the force of the runner moving...