Skip to main content

Reply to "-"

I feel bad for the kid, and don't believe that anyone can live up to the hype that has been created around him. He was on a team we played last summer, and to be very frank, we were underwhelmed in what we saw. My other coach is a guy with long time MLB ties, and his comment was "that act ain't gonna play in the Big Leauges." What disappointed us was not his talent, but the way he played the game. He did not hustle, in fact only got about 3 steps out of the batter's box on an infield pop fly he hit to 3rd. He didn't back up first base on ground balls to the left side with nobody on, just dropped to his knees and watched the play. And, while he's a good throwing catcher, he's not the best throwing catcher that he's been represented to be. Frankly, the day he played against us, he gave the impression of being a bit apathetic. Perhaps he was just tired, or tired of everything he's been subjected to. I do know that hte expectations that have been raised around him are totally unrealistic. One problem young Mr. Harper faces is that with all the hype and elevated expectations, there is no room to have a day like he did when he played us.

Does he have a ton of talent, absolutely. Does he need to grow up some? From my very limited chance to watch him, yeah, I'd say so. My impression was that perhaps he's read a few too many Sports Illustrated accolades and begun believing his press clippings.

Flame away if you wish, but he's still human, and it showed the day I watched him. Too many people have forgotten that he's just 16, and think he's already an MLB caliber player. He is not....yet.
Last edited by 06catcherdad