Skip to main content

Reply to "1 down"

Thank you all. Yes, it's about a 2 hour drive away, and I've already read the tailgating policy...

Few things I learned during this process; As other have said, being on a team and/or having coaches that have college connections was invaluable. My son wouldn't be in the spot he is today without them, but a few things we had to navigate.

1) Too many cooks in the kitchen. In our case there were a few times where multiple coaches/contacts would be reaching out on son's behalf. All may mean well, but can lead to communication issues.

2) Once your kid's coach makes the connection, have your son take over. Meaning, you want your son to be dealing directly with the college, not going through his coach once the initial introduction is done.

3) Your coach is trying to get your entire team recruited, in some cases with larger organizations it may be multiple teams. While the coaches may have the best of intentions, they may only be looking at the baseball side of things and trying to get as many players placed as possible and not be fully aligned with every kid's best interest. Hope this makes sense.