Skip to main content

Reply to "10 year old Big Barrel bat help needed"

Been coaching over 22 years and heres my take on the new equipment. In regards to travel and competition, I completely disagree with the "false sense of security" If its legal and your young player is a good hitter and can hit with any bat including a 2 1/4, why wouldn't you use one with a little bigger sweet spot while you can? Trust me the other teams will... Now, I do agree with making adjustments through the years to prepare for the -3 in HS, but you will be be hard pressed to find good travel teams that dont leverage them legally while they can...again, if youre trying compensate for poor technique, thats different and I would not use a large big barrel to compensate for skill....but using a legal bat, nothing wrong at all.

Its similar to the old hackers that say when golfing, you should still hit forged blades irons with a little tiny sweet spot and not use the new technology larger and more forgiving cavity back iron clubs to strike the golf ball and score... or use a tiny CC driver with a lower COR instead of a large max size/max COR driver with higher MOI...same with competitive baseball, if thats the case.. I think using wooden bats to practice etc is great... but to just use wooden bat only or limit yourself in competitive tournaments Unless its a wood bat rourney, which are neat too).. but thats not very bright either in young travel competition tournaments if 2 3/4 big barrel bats are perfectly legal, its physics...

Good Luck

Last edited by OldSchoolCoach