Skip to main content

Reply to "10 year old throws 150+ pitches-again"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
Your research may or may not be right, usually a lot of abuse occurs at the youth age, so in order to avoid it, with parents and coaches still pushing kids (as per above), don't pitch until the arm is maire mature

I still remain with with my opinion as to beginning later in pitching (delaying throwing off of the mound actually), tossing has nothing to do with it, we'll see how your theories holds up as your son gets older. That's the only way you will know if what you did or didn't do was the right thing or not. I am not talking about the obvious signals, because you have no idea what is actually going on inside.

If

BVut even in your son's case he pitched at a young age. How healthy is your son's arm? From what I have gathered it seems as stable and healthy as any pro pitchers arm is.

My main concern here is that we ignore the main warning signs and do not address them. How much research has really been done on the real causes of LL elbow? I relaize that many studies have been done but generally those studies have focussed around "breaking pitches" and "pitch counts" and not much on other factors where the real cause lies- specifically that of how one conditions and warms up, their mechanics, etc.

What's worse- a pitcher who throws a 125 pitches in a game and comes out feeling good or one who comes out after 30 with elbow pain? I am not saying that too many pitches isn't a bad thing, I am saying that everyone condemns the coach who allows a pitcher to throw 100+ pitches while they say nothing of the kid always pitching through elbow pain.