Skip to main content

Reply to "10 year old throws 150+ pitches-again"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
BVut even in your son's case he pitched at a young age. How healthy is your son's arm? From what I have gathered it seems as stable and healthy as any pro pitchers arm is.

My son has had 3 surgeries since he became a professional, one was a scope to find where pain was coming from, much fraying of the ligament which can be typical of a pitchers arm and cleaned up. The following year the same thing, found an impingement and they shaved his cortacoid bone, this fall to move the ulnar nerve, was beginning signs of possible damage because of the constant slipping in and out of the groove (elbow) and now sidelined again for sore shoulder (same place as impingement but probably from throwing too hard too soon). I think if we had not been so conservative, his college coach so conservative he would have had these issues earlier.

I agree with all that you state about injuries occuring when not enough recovery time, etc, etc. Pain comes from all different sources not necessarily from small tears, so one much first decide where the source of pain is coming from and determine if it is serious by simple tests the doc does. Because I feel that biologically the pitcher is more physically mature, I say 14,15 is a good age to begin throwing seriously from the mound, and also ready to begin a real conditioning program that will benefit them in maintaining good arm health. You can't do that at 10.

There is no argument that no one should pitch in pain or discomfort. My contention is that biologically some kids may not be ready.