Skip to main content

Reply to "10yo pitching question..."

quote:
Originally posted by deaconspoint:
quote:
Originally posted by Bretzke:
Tim-
How's his control?

His plant foot needs to point more towards home plate.

The head snap suggests he is throwing mostly with arm.

Brian

Control is quite good considering his age and that he does not work on pitching much at all. Basically throws with me a lot and whatever he's doing he does pretty consistently. This is not meant as a brag, but I am proud of him. He has just started pitching more in games recently. So far with 8 innings pitched in 3 games, he's had three kids put a bat on the ball. One ground ball to first, one ground ball to second, a bunt straight back to him and three walks. Everything else has been a K. He's better than he should be with me as a teacher that's for certain.

Thank you for pointing out the head snap. It does look kind of violent. I will look at other vids and see if this is common among them all. The toe pointing to mitt at landing is something we have worked on and you're right, he's kind of closed here. I have been meaning to work on the big hole in front of the mound or explain to him to land elsewhere. I think that hole may not be helping his landing in proper form.

All this sounds kind of serious when talking about a 10yo, but it really is the kind of info he needs. He is having a blast pitching and the little things help him have even more fun.

Sad, but I miss watching him catch. :-)

Tim

PLEASE, and I MEAN PLESE!! Don't tell your son to point his foot at home!! Don't watch what the foot is doing, it is not important, watch what his hips are doing, you want him to land with his hips and shoulders in a straight line towards home than at foot strike pop hips and rotate on the axes as quick as possible! If your son starts pointing his toe than his hips are going to open, and than he will throw all arm which will lead to a higher chance of injury to the shoulder!