Skip to main content

Reply to "10yo pitching question..."

quote:
Not sure where I stated that kids should not pitch and should just play it safe. Perhaps you can point that out for us?

Okay, you have your opinion. I will give you that, but I will not put any value into it when it is unfounded and against what the "top surgeons in the country" that deal with these injuries every day are reporting.

It is obvious that you have no formal education on human anatomy or biomechanics so why should anyone follow your "opinion?"

Not trying to be rude, just asking where you get the idea that you can make statements that could harm a young player and your resource is: its my opinion?

Your reply really is all over the place. Conditioning to maintain velocity. What? Was that even a point? So if a "youth pitcher" can maintain velocity he is not in danger of injury?

Then you say that we need strict pitch counts. Yeah, didn't we already mention that and you disagreed earlier?

Then you state, "Training as an youth should be to emphasize mirroring what adults do." This is wrong on so many levels I don't even know where to start!

Adult and pediatric training in no way should be mirrored! I'm going to just laugh at that one and leave it alone.

I suppose your opinion is that osgood schlatters is a **** theory also.

The conditioning I am speaking of is being conditioned to maitain velocity in a game without harm to the arm!

By strict pitch counts I am referring to a person by person basis and not letting them "pitch" beyond the point of fatigue or arm pain.

When i state that kids should mirror what professional athletes do I am not meaning that they should go out and train "exactly" like they do. You take everything out of proper context- its no wonder we disagree!

I am speaking in terms of kids should look to older athletes and what they are doing to train and condition and then follow similar suit. Lets break this down more specifically so we don't misunderstnad each other.

For instance- If a pro athlete pitcher stretches with bands then it may be a good idea for youth pitchers to also stretch with bands.

If a pro pitcher has great follow through on his pitches then it may be a good idea to train youth pitchers to also follow through on their pitches.

If a pro pitcher throws a fair amount on off days to keep his arm healthy then it may be a good idea for youth pitchers to throw on off days to keep their arms healthy.

If a pro pitcher goes a long ways in the pros without serious injury it may be a good idea to train youth repeating his mechanics in part or in whole.

I could go on and on but I hope you get the drift of what i am speaking of.

You still make it sound like kids should not even pick up a baseball at all!
Last edited by Gingerbread Man