Skip to main content

Reply to "11-Year-Old Baseball PHENOM...Well all know one...right?"

2019Dad posted:

Hope it works out for him. Watching the video, it reminded me a bit of Tommy Boyer in this article: 

www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-moneyb...-20130317-story.html

"7th Inning: The Prospect

Tommy Boyer, 11, does 100 sit-ups, sprints for 20 minutes and hits at least 70 baseballs off a tee every day. He fields 100 ground balls and retrieves 100 fly balls on alternate weekdays. He takes professional hitting and pitching lessons twice a week, executes daily speed and agility drills crafted by a professional trainer, and meets regularly with a sports psychologist.

His nutritional program calls for virtually no junk food and four protein shakes daily to put muscle on his 4-11, 90-pound frame.

Boyer, who once played in 183 baseball games in a calendar year, has averaged about 160 since he began playing travel ball at age 6, his father said.

Besides committing to play for Team MVP's 11-and-under team and the Weston Black Hawks 12-and-under squad, Boyer plans to suit up for at least another eight teams in 2013. That includes a squad in Dallas that Boyer's father said offered to fly the pair in and out of Texas on consecutive weekends.

"I hope to grow up and play in Major League Baseball, and get a scholarship," Tommy said before a game with Team MVP at Tamiami Park in Miami. "I love to play."

Tommy's father, Don, who operates a tree service business in St. Cloud, estimates he spends $2,000 a month on baseball.

Boyer said two other teams expressed interest in Tommy's services for this year, but both wanted him to fork over about $600 in fees and more money for a uniform. He said no, telling them: "Tommy gets everything paid for. Why should I pay you almost $1,000 when everybody else is paying for it?"

The Florida man said he constructed a 10-by-10-foot room off of his son's bedroom to hold all the medals and trophies Tommy has won.

"It's not about just having fun.It's not," Don Boyer said. "It's about going out and doing a job ... [Tommy] loves to play with the best and for the best."

I sure hope Tommy Boyer is recruited by a D1 baseball powerhouse and is drafted in the first few rounds... OTHERWISE he will have fallen short of the  ridiculous expectations his father has set for him from a very young age and the fact that this boy lost his childhood in the process.