Skip to main content

Reply to "12U: MS *AND* AAU baseball?"

Thanks for the input -

Gooseegg, I'm thinking the school team is similar to your son's. It's a very small school, and the level isn't very high. If son wants to do both, I don't think it would hurt him - in my head, it would be extra reps in the outfield.  My husband is more worried about his arm, even just from throwing in practice. I agree with you about academics - son has done very well so far, but the 16-20 hours of sports a week this winter (MS basketball + winter baseball workouts) has been tough to juggle. Maintaining or increasing that pace would be challenging.  

Since neither of you have mentioned hitting, I'm guessing the difference in field size doesn't cause too much trouble? In that case I will probably leave it up to my son to decide. He's the one who'd have to manage the schedule. 

Gunner34, yes it was little league elbow, from catching and/or pitching every game for his 8u and 9u district teams. Cal Ripken didn't have pitch counts or limits on pitching/catching and husband and I had't done our homework.  Son's PT told him to choose either pitching or catching - he chose catching. His club team has 3 excellent catchers, so he hasn't been overworked since switching teams.