Skip to main content

Reply to "12U: MS *AND* AAU baseball?"

I was about to suggest he shouldn’t pitch for his travel team until the middle school season is over. Then I saw “history of arm problems.” A 12yo shouldnt have a history of arm problems. He should only play for school until it’s over. Then play for his summer team. 

No one ever made high school, college or pro ball based on what they did as a 12yo. The journey is a marathon. It’s not a sprint. Pace yourself. When he gets to high school pick up the pace. 

I’m going to guess your son plays for Arsenal or a similar team. I got to know some of the Arsenal dads from coaching against the team every year.  Only four players from the 13u A team made the 17u A team. Don’t assume anything about the future based on 12yo accomplishments. Consider it a good start that needs to be maintained. The older he gets the more challenging it becomes and the more he will have to work at development. At age twelve a lot of players and parents don’t understand the work ethic involved by the time the player is fifteen, sixteen years old. Then, if they’re good enough to play college ball baseball and academics becomes all consuming. Enjoy being twelve.