Skip to main content

Reply to "13 Year Old Team- To Curve or Not To Curve"

Great posts!!! I hope to get young men that don't have a clue about the curve when they come to high school. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Ossification or the hardening of the cartilage in the elbow has not started by 13 and so, extreme damage could occur. Last year's senior group for us didn't have one "select" pitcher from their 8th grade year throw an inning of varsity. My "ACE" was an outfielder that I had to convert to pitching. He went 12-1 and so did well. The rest, were great 8th graders. Sad isn't it. We also start our kids as Freshman on the curve but they come to me. I spend time spinning from 30 feet for a good 2-3 weeks before they move back and then they get limits during the game. Typically, as posted earlier, 5 in a game with one having to be a 1st pitch curve to #4 for a strike. That is it.

Side note - The slider is also a very dangerous pitch if taught incorrectly. I often wonder why no one ask about it.

"There comes a time when you have to stop dreaming of the man you want to be and start being the man you have become." Bruce Springsteen
Last edited {1}