Skip to main content

Reply to "13u repeatedly throwing 90 pitches is no big deal???"

Steve A. posted:

13U is the extreme danger zone for young arms. First year on the big field so now he is pumping 60' vs 46'. Many play travel, Rec & School ball. This is insane & a formula for disaster. It's compounded if the kid features on the mound vs just a position player.

Read this post and started thinking about what, if any, changes should be made between 12U and 13U once they move to the big field.  My oldest was fortunate to have been on a team where lots of kids pitched.  He was a decent size and threw with little effort, so these first outings on the big field were never an issue.  I do have a younger son who will be moving to the big field next year and I am sure he will want to continue pitching.  This will be high effort for him, so any suggestions or observations would be appreciated.

Told my youngest that 2B may be the most contested position next year.  I suspect there will be several wannabe SS's (including my son) that struggle with the increased distance that first year and will no longer be able to deliver the ball via a frozen rope - but will have to incorporate a little extra altitude or end up with the dreaded bounce.